Real Estate
Sponsored by

Blueprint copyright question

2,079 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shooter McGavin
RamblinMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I plan on purchasing plans from the designer of a cabin I want to build on my land. I have no issue with them wanting to protect their work and design. I do however have a question about item #2 from their site. Does this hold water?

"These plans are protected by copyright and carry the following restrictions. By purchasing this plan you agree to the following:

1) The plan cannot be replicated with 250 miles of xxxxxxxx

2) The plan cannot be used for vacation rental or short term rental.

3) Purchase of plan is for 1 cabin build."
schwack schwack
AG
How can what the cabin is used for be a copyright issue? IMO, it can't.

Ryan the Temp
AG
I would definitely want to know why they have chosen to prescribe that restriction. It could be that they are based in a city or other location that has restrictive laws governing vacation rentals due to limited affordable housing (i.e., Seattle and San Francisco) and they include that provision to comply with local laws.

That being said, why do they care what you do with your building after you pay them, and how would they even attempt to enforce it?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure there's a freedom of association issue at play in this scenario that favors you.
AgsMyDude
AG
schwack schwack said:

How can what the cabin is used for be a copyright issue? IMO, it can't.

That's like an auto manufacturer saying "this car can't be used as a taxi"
MAS444
AG
Yeah I'd be most curious why they included that provision and would just ask them that.
dallasiteinsa02
It could be that the design doesn't come with the requirements that certain jurisdictions require as a rental. Kind of like when the architect won't call a room a bedroom because it doesn't have a second point of egress.
agnerd
AG
or they may have sold the exclusive rights to use the plan as a vacation rental to a someone building a resort with a bunch of the cabins, and they paid a premium to not have any competition.

And I don't understand why you need to purchase plans with restrictions. Sketch out the same thing on a napkin, give it to the builder, change the lengths of the walls a foot or two, and then not have any restrictions. Then sell your plans without restrictions when you're done.
tjones
AG
I'd be interested in seeing the website with the cabin? Can you share that?

tunefx
AG
Can you post the plan here so we have more context?
Gigem_94
AG
Legally I think #2 would not be enforceable as many restrictions on real property ownership rights are against public policy and/or unconstitutional esp in Texas. And what if you build it and sell it. What is to prevent buyer from breaching #2 since it not recorded and is not a deed restriction? I could go on but I think that's one of those items they put in there more as a scare tactic knowing it would not be enforceable.
Fitch
AG
This reads more like a low-key CYA. A residential building has different standards of construction than a hospitality or public-facing enterprise (think ADA requirements, fire sprinklers, etc).

And no, it carries no legal weight.

Just there for the architect to hide in case someone ever had a catastrophic loss while renting and wanted to pepper every party from the property owner to the bank to the architect with a lawsuit. Design professionals are extremely risk averse.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I think it's to keep his plan from being replicated. He's saying you buy it once, you use it once. You can't take my plan and go build 10 properties for your STR empire. Otherwise you gotta buy it from me 10 times.

Many of these types are very protective of their blueprints.
tjones
AG
I'm just curious what the plan or pictures of a built version look like. Can you post?
LoneStarBQ
AG
I would guess it's all CYA stuff.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
htxag09
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I think it's to keep his plan from being replicated. He's saying you buy it once, you use it once. You can't take my plan and go build 10 properties for your STR empire. Otherwise you gotta buy it from me 10 times.

Many of these types are very protective of their blueprints.
Isn't that what #1 and #3 do?

In your scenario, even if they bought the plan from him 10 times, #2 would still prevent them from doing a STR.
ChoppinDs40
AG
sure but never doubt a lawyer to belt & suspenders restrictive language like this.

If it's a STR, the traffic seeing the property and wanting to replicate it increases. He just doesn't want to get ripped off.

I'm not sure that an architect would be liable in any case (I could be completely wrong). If it passes inspection by local, state, and federal ordinances, then how can he be to blame? I'd argue that would be more on the builder than architect because it's up to the builder to warranty and stamp their name on the product... final production vs. design can often times vary greatly as architects are drawing pictures... not engineering loads, grades, slopes, etc.

Anyways, who knows, why not ask him?
Shooter McGavin
AG
I know a builder that took a set of plans and built a house, then built the same house in another development without getting a new set of plans from the plan designer.

The plan designer sued and won.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.