Real Estate
Sponsored by

Pirates Beach, Galveston

3,680 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 94chem
FastFreddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My family and I are looking for a home to purchase in the Pirates Beach area. Let me know who you know that may be interested. Five 12 six 35 0909.
BTHOtrolls
AG
FastFreddy said:

My family and I are looking for a home to purchase in the Pirates Beach area. Let me know who you know that may be interested. Five 12 six 35 0909.

There is a Galveston AirBnB Facebook Owners group you may want to join and post this is in. A lot of chatter in that group about how the Galveston AirBnB market is over saturated and their booking have taken a hit.
JamesBREI06
AG
FastFreddy said:

What BTHOTolls said. Also, once the pain sets in prices will drop.
EclipseAg
AG
The same situation happened to us a few years after Ike. Once everything was put back together, there was a sudden surplus of rentals on the west end and prices dropped dramatically. We lowered our rates two or three years in a row and still weren't filling up. It was a real struggle.

The time is probably right for a correction, because VRBO rates in Galveston have gotten ridiculous. We rented a four-bedroom house in Pirates Beach in 2019 for the week of Thanksgiving for around $2,500. Two years later, that same house was going for $5,000 a week.

I love Galveston but I'm not spending $5,000 to go there.
Diggity
AG
yep...at the top of the market, everybody thinks the good times will last forever.

I feel like you and I were discussing this dynamic a while back when Port A properties were trading for $400/sqft, based on STR figures.
bkag9824
AG
Let's say your family owns a bay house on the west side, needs some rehab & furnishing (mainly cosmetics - decks are in good shape, etc.) House is owned free & clear, so only long-term debt obligations are prop taxes & insurance.

Market over saturated to the point of making the effort of turning that house into a STR pointless? Would think it difficult to imagine you couldn't gross $15-20k/yr?

Not my first STR, familiar with how to operate one, etc. More a hypothetical to gauge the market from those who might operate there.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Martin Q. Blank
Galveston is a cheaper alternative than the rest of the gulf coast. It's getting more expensive because there is only so much beach and the demand is pushing west.

OP, just to be clear, you're asking people if they know someone wanting to sell in the circled area that has yet to engage a realtor and sell on the MLS?

Diggity
AG
I would argue a big reason it's getting more expensive is that we've gone a relatively long time without a major hurricane to decimate a barrier island. Coming from a guy who lives in the Meyerland area, I can tell you that people have short memories.
Martin Q. Blank
So OP needs to wait for the hurricane related dip.
Diggity
AG
correct
EclipseAg
AG
bkag9824 said:

Let's say your family owns a bay house on the west side, needs some rehab & furnishing (mainly cosmetics - decks are in good shape, etc.) House is owned free & clear, so only long-term debt obligations are prop taxes & insurance.

Market over saturated to the point of making the effort of turning that house into a STR pointless? Would think it difficult to imagine you couldn't gross $15-20k/yr?

Not my first STR, familiar with how to operate one, etc. More a hypothetical to gauge the market from those who might operate there.
I don't think it's pointless at all, especially with no mortgage. You could definitely gross more than 20K, if you're willing to keep it open all summer and holidays for rentals. Especially if it's three or four bedrooms and in decent shape.

The people who may have trouble making a go of it are the pandemic buyers who paid $750,000 for a 1980s three-bedroom three streets back from the beach.

bkag9824
AG
EclipseAg said:

bkag9824 said:

I don't think it's pointless at all, especially with no mortgage. You could definitely gross more than 20K, if you're willing to keep it open all summer and holidays for rentals. Especially if it's three or four bedrooms and in decent shape.

The people who may have trouble making a go of it are the pandemic buyers who paid $750,000 for a 1980s three-bedroom three streets back from the beach.

Appreciate the response.
DrEvazanPhD
There's stuff available in Pirate's. It's just way too overpriced, just like all galveston real estate is.
FastFreddy
Thinking maybe someone interested in selling and we could save on sales expenses
RAB87
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

There's stuff available in Pirate's. It's just way too overpriced, just like all galveston real estate is.
There are deals to be had in every market. Been looking for a few years and got a heads-up last Fall on a canal home, a week before it was to be listed well under current market value. The difference-maker for us was that we built a relationship with a local Galveston realtor (he's an Aggie too). The 'born on island' community there is a tight network.
aggie897
AG
I have a house going up in the next few days in Beachside village. 2500sqft. Let me know if you're interested.
FastFreddy
Care to share the name of the agent?
FastFreddy
That is probably to big and more than we want to spend.
DrEvazanPhD
aggie897 said:

I have a house going up in the next few days in Beachside village. 2500sqft. Let me know if you're interested.

You an owner or a builder?
aggie897
AG
Owner and a builder
DrEvazanPhD
aggie897 said:

Owner and a builder
What are building prices looking like there? I know a few folks who bought lots then opted not to build because of crazy inflated costs.
94chem
I own on Bolivar. Got in before the two year run-up in prices. I don't know how people buying now will make ends meet with respect to cash flow. Hoping to get high occupancy this spring/summer by undercutting more recent buyers on rates.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Furlock Bones
AG
94chem said:

I own on Bolivar. Got in before the two year run-up in prices. I don't know how people buying now will make ends meet with respect to cash flow. Hoping to get high occupancy this spring/summer by undercutting more recent buyers on rates.
the new builds cash flow very well. people are still vacationing but a lot are doing it locally.
94chem
Furlock Bones said:

94chem said:

the new builds cash flow very well. people are still vacationing but a lot are doing it locally.
From what I've seen, they cash flow for the builders just fine. They must be making 100%.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.