Real Estate
Sponsored by

First time appraisal protest question

1,190 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CS78
Robk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brewster county.

Bought the house in June 2021 for 240,000. Last year the appraisal was for 225,000. Jumped this year to 311,000. Would the fact that I bought it just last year for 240,000 be the evidence I need to show, or what type of evidence should I show.
Martin Q. Blank
Yes, just send in your closing statement.
jja79
AG
As already said send it to them. And congratulations on living in Brewster County, seriously. That would be nice.
Robk
Thanks, what I was thinking but since this is my first time did not want to eff it up. And yes when my wife finally gave the all clear to move I had a job 2 weeks later and got the hell out of houston.
spike427
AG
FYI Brazos CAD refused to lower to sales price from fall 2021 on a property on my street last week. They would only split the difference. If there is legal wording that guarantees that adjustment, I'd love to know about it!
NoahAg
Wow, I assumed it was a state law that the CAD had to use your purchase price for 2 years. That's what I've done here in Harris County (we bought in Spring 2020). Especially nice since we bought at a discount.
Let's go, Brandon!
jopatura
AG
Same with my parents. Travis County told them that their May purchase price was no longer reflective of the market. They took some off, but not the full amount. Their appraisal was about $150k over their purchase price. They told my parents that all counties should be adjusting sales prices, but aren't.
CS78
No rules that they have to accept it.

I had two closing statements on the same house in just a few months. Both below cad value and Brazos refused to lower it. Even spoke with the manager of the assessors.

One thing you can do is stop trying to settle your case early. File your protest and don't discuss it with them until right before your formal meeting. They get more motivated with time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.