Real Estate
Sponsored by

Interest rate predictions

5,697 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BeastmodeAg
BeastmodeAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For conversation sake what do y'all predict interest rates on a 30 year fixed mortgage to be in 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and a year out?

Recently locked my rate which I am happy with but curious to see how high they could go. One of my "was to be" neighbors got priced out of his home due to the rates.
barnag
Not sure, but I did get quoted 6.125% on an investment property and they required a 740 credit score or better as of last week.
mwp02ag
AG
My WAG prediction is the recent fed rate hike caused mortgage rates to jump high enough to bake in some of the promised future short term rate hikes. The fed will try more rate hikes but that will soon become problematic, it already has, for the economy and the fed reverses course and takes nominal rates negative in 2023 or 2024.

Of course that has all kinds of problems too. Welcome to stagflation on steroids. They painted themselves into the corner and we all knew they were doing it. Rental property owners are going to make out like bandits over the next 10 years.

SteveBott
AG
I've been in mortgage for 20 years. 18 years ago I learned a hard lesson to not predict rates because I can't. And neither can anyone else. If they say they can they are lying.

You can get lucky and guess right sometimes but things even out over time.
Scientific
AG
Well the op did say only for conversation sake. Very few thought we'd be at 5% by the end of the year, and here we are. At this rate? We could hit six and above by the end of the summer.

mwp02ag said:

Of course that has all kinds of problems too. Welcome to stagflation on steroids. They painted themselves into the corner and we all knew they were doing it. Rental property owners are going to make out like bandits over the next 10 years.

The monster they created. Its what happens when its treated as risk free.
mwp02ag
AG
I think all who would post here would agree. It honestly made me a little nervous posting that even knowing it was pure speculation. What's your WAG though?
SteveBott
AG
Rather then try to predict exact amounts of movement or target pricing I think it's better to focus on macro events that affect the market.

Right now we have extremely complex data. We currently have, regardless of the attention getting headlines, are pretty solid economic data. Record breaking job growth, outstanding wage increases, especially at the lower income jobs, almost max employment numbers. They savings rate is higher then normal and of course trillions of new wealth in the real estate market.

The downside to that data is inflation. We have a net -2.0 loss in spending power (7% inflation minus 5% wage growth). Inflation is Also targeting the most sensitive of goods…gas, groceries and rents.

So the negatives could be harsh response to inflation, a severe downturn to the economy in China, the ongoing drag on growth we are going to start to see from the war and high energy prices.

Which competing force wins out? Growth or recession? I don't know. Too many possible outcomes right now.

We are at the highest rates since I got in the business. Too much higher and it will increase the chance of recession which always lower rates. Painful though.

To sum up I don't know. To much complex decision making in the near future. I think you take the current rates and costs and use them as one of many data points on making financial decisions. Each person could come up with a different decision best for them right now. All you can do.
BeastmodeAg
AG
I think we'll see 7% by the end of summer honestly.
mwp02ag
AG

Will we see the .5% fed funds hike tomorrow or nah?

I kinda feel like they have to or destroy any confidence in all their future hike talk right?

If they do raise at all, will mortgage rates spike 2% again or is this like baked in from the Feb hike?

I cant believe I didn't like Econ in CS. This **** is fascinating.
BeastmodeAg
AG
mwp02ag said:

Will we see the .5% fed funds hike tomorrow or nah?

I kinda feel like they have to or destroy any confidence in all their future hike talk right?

If they do raise at all, will mortgage rates spike 2% again or is this like baked in from the Feb hike?

I cant believe I didn't like Econ in CS. This **** is fascinating.

Looks like it happened a quick google search is showing that the average rate on a 30 year fixed is 6% roughly. And that is from May 2.
I see rates continuing to go up, people aren't slowing down moving here.

I'm an Econ major and no kidding this is fascinating
Diggity
AG
6% sounds high. I thought they were closer to 5%
Deats99
AG
Diggity said:

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
cevans_40
AG
BeastmodeAg said:

FML
Deats99
AG
cevans_40 said:

BeastmodeAg said:

FML
I think that is optimistic as hell
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
ktownag08
AG
Looks like I need to hurry up and get my one time close construction close loan done here asap!
Deats99
AG

This is what I share with clients when they tell me it is going to come down
-George S Patton
Deats99
AG

Or this one when they say they will not go over 10

**Messy because I can usually screen shot for emails but y'all should get the gist
-George S Patton
BeastmodeAg
AG
Maybe I was being optimistic on 7%, seems like 8% maybe.
The Fife
I hurried up starting this addition/reno project early in the year and am still on the fence whether it was a good idea or not. Rates were still really low but the cost of supplies just sucks right now.
Sea Speed
AG
bought a second house to turn my other one in to a rental and bought down my rate to 3.99% and closed something like a week ago and I am EXTREMELY grateful at our timing. Current rates would have put this whole thing out of the realm of possibility.
BeastmodeAg
AG
What's crazy is it's only going to get worse!
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
The average mortgage rate since 1971 is 7.8%. Let's hope we don't cross that mark in the summer.

Many of our buyer clients are using our 2% buyer rebate to buy down their interest rate. They figured they'll pay for closing costs if they can save more money over the life of the loan.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
MAS444
AG
Wow - I'm really surprised at the 7+ predictions here. That's about what the second note (80-10-10) was on the first home I bought 18 years ago. Like Sea Speed, we did an investment property recently and were extremely lucky to do it when we did.
mwp02ag
AG
I'm a macro newb please explain. I think your argument is that the fed funds rate will not go back down in the 10 year term because investors will demand more return to hold government debt.

That does make sense of course. How does that account for government purchasing the bonds though? Isn't that what QE is essentially?

I have no idea what the second chart is. Please explain?
Deats99
AG
I don't argue economics, or underlying conditions. Just the skittish nature of what he market and these so called investors do. Whether the relationship between the 10 yr treasury yield and mortgage rates is correlation and causation is beyond me, but it is there.
When that yield is down rates dive, when the yield is up they spike.
-George S Patton
mwp02ag
AG
Ah I see. I thought your "when clients tell me it's going down" statement was referring to future rates. I really do find this all fascinating and enjoy discussing what's going on. I also think it's helpful to look at the probabilities of what will happen.

To me, the overwhelming probability is that the fed won't be able to take rates over 1.5% without destroying markets, something they have zero appetite for. My bet is the fed will try to prop markets up, just as they have since the GFC.

I really hope I'm wrong, I'd love to rip off the bandaid so to speak. Deals will be everywhere.
jagvocate
AG
SteveBott said:

I've been in mortgage for 20 years. 18 years ago I learned a hard lesson to not predict rates because I can't. And neither can anyone else. If they say they can they are lying.

You can get lucky and guess right sometimes but things even out over time.
I can't predict rates but I can tell you we won't beat inflation until lending rates rise above the inflation rate
Diggity
AG
Deats99 said:

Diggity said:

latest numbers from FRED are 5.27%, so not sure what you took to be so amusing about my comment.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
The issue with Freddie mac survey is that it is looking backwards. In most markets that is not a big deal but with rates moving as fast as they have been for the last few months the Freddie survey has been trailing pretty drastically. It does not help perception when it is the most quoted benchmark in the media of what rates are TODAY , when it really only tells you what rates had been last week.
cevans_40
AG
ktownag08 said:

Looks like I need to hurry up and get my one time close construction close loan done here asap!
Who are you getting your loan through?
Diggity
AG
gotcha...so what are you seeing today?
Sea Speed
AG
So mortgage lenders, what are the rates right now for well qualified buyers? Say $400k house with 5% down. I know i know there are tons of variables, just trying to get a general idea.
MTTANK
AG
ktownag08 said:

Who are you using? I've been shopping them recently
GIG 'EM
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
I am still in the low 5's with 20% down and good credit. But that rate is actually better the conventional rates as right now is one of those weird times that happens once in a while in market turmoil where portfolio rates are better then conventional.
Diggity
AG
interesting. are you doing mainly portfolio loans these days?

how many basis points lower are you seeing the portfolio products come in at?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.