Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home Builder Steals Money, Files Bankrupty

23,653 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agracer
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quick update.
Felony warrants were issued. I still don't feel I should give all the details at this point due to the on-going criminal and bankruptcy courts. Nothing has been resolved. Everything is a slow process, including my build.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Thanks for sharing your experiences, very insightful.
I'm also in the beginning steps of hiring a GC and getting a construction loan.

Would you please share what you're going to do different with the next GC?
arrow
AG
I have old friends/neighbors helping me out this time. This relationship can bring it's own challenges, but the reality is they are good, honest people.

I would avoid fixed contracts. I foolishly believed I would benefit from this last year. Obviously it was a major backfire. Cost+ contracts make more sense in today's environment with inflation and supply issues. I would go with a builder that can front all the costs of materials to get started. I would check all receipts and invoices prior to making a payment to the builder.

If a builder can't agree to this, I would wait until I could find another builder that could. So far, none of those requirements have been an issue with my new builder. They worked on my house from late September to late January without asking for a dime.
arrow
AG
Bumping this thread after nearly two years. There are so many earlier posts I need to quote. A few posters I need to thank. And possibly an ebook I need to write.

I plan to answer questions and give details when I'm on an actual keyboard. But since I can't sleep I figured I'd go ahead and post.

The original contractor was arrogant enough to see his days in court. After the most stressful week of my life, multiple testimonies, and cross examinations, he was found guilty of a felony. The punishment includes full restitution for my family.

While slow, I have a new found respect for our criminal justice system if you have good honest people elected.
CheladaAg
AG
Congratulations but sorry to hear that you had to go through this process. Can you now disclose the contractor's name if the court case is closed?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Glad you were able to get that conviction, but is he capable of paying the restitution?
Diggity
AG
Always the tricky part.
arrow
AG
There is obviously still a lot of raw emotion going around. The DA also expects an appeal, though they are confident it won't get anywhere. I'm still going to wait a few days (possibly longer) before I go public with names.
arrow
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Glad you were able to get that conviction, but is he capable of paying the restitution?
We received a nice check the day after conviction but it will take quite a bit more to be made whole. I have doubts.
arrow
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Your attorney has probably already mentioned it but I didn't see it on the thread. Might take a look at the Texas Construction Trust Funds Act. Civil and criminal remedies for homeowners whose construction funds are taken. In particular, it may be possible to hold the individual(s) who took your money, not just the company, liable. This may be a work around corporate bankruptcy if there are attachable personal assets.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PR/htm/PR.162.htm
Ding. Ding. Ding.
There needs to be more precedent set for enforcing this law. Although the law is from the 80s, it's still very unknown. People need to fight to get their counties to enforce.
docb
AG
There is an Aggie homebuilder up in Georgetown has left a lot of folks high and dry in Cimmaron Hills country club. Ashby Signature Homes. There are houses that haven't had any work on them in over a year.
SW AG80
AG
I am the retired DA who suggested you sit down with a prosecutor and discuss a criminal case. What county is this in?
arrow
AG
I sent you a PM. Thank you very much.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Glad for the good news.
warreng
I had a similar situation happen to me, but when we figured out what was going on we were only in it for about 60k or so. Same situation where he had done some work and would submit a draw but we didn't know he hadn't been paying for materials or labor.

Anyway after a a couple months of him not showing up and working on the house and then ignoring calls I hired a private investigator. Found out the guy was also building homes on the side under a lady's name. Apparently he had both a business and personal relationship with this lady. I was finally able to get him on the phone by using google voice with an area code from his hometown. I told him he had 2 weeks to make us whole or I would file a lawsuit and since he wasn't an LLC I would bring in him, his wife and his lady friend for the deposition with my attorney since I was sure some of my money went to the homes they were building together. We didn't get it all back but had the majority of our money back within 2 weeks.
dallasattnyag
I'm board certified in business bankruptcy law. If you want to post your contact info I'm happy to take a brief look and discuss for free just to help out a fellow AG in a bad situation.
ReelDeal
AG
I have built a few houses over the years, but mainly work in the commercial/residential remodeling sector. The last house we did was a custom that we did in ~ 7 months. The way that I structured it was to build cost plus with hard costs and soft costs being laid out as well as we could. When items where completed and or draws needed to happen, we had the bank disburse the checks direct to the subcontractors and the supply houses. The market was extremely volatile at this time with lumber prices jumping all over. The bank said they had never really done this (paying subs directly) before, but thought it was a good idea for preventing the op's situation. It is 100 % transparent to the customer and the financing bank as to who is being paid what. Just a thought for anyone that this might help.
Max06
AG
Out of curiosity what was the PI cost?

We're rapidly heading down that hole and it's not going to be pretty. There's been lots of rumors about a very large lawsuit involving the builder but I haven't found any public info on it.
dubi
AG
Oh no!
Max06
AG
Yep. Averaging 2 days of work per week and different guys almost every time. I doubt anyone is getting paid.
agracer
AG
EDIT: NM

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.