Real Estate
Sponsored by

Bad time to buy a house?

20,515 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by coastalAg
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a lot less competition to get houses under contract, less chance of multiple offers, houses sitting on the market longer, 401K's being decimated and few people out looking but it shouldn't affect RE prices?
thann07
AG
EagleCamden said:

Now is a good time to buy. Real estate prices are not going to be greatly affected. We still have a housing shortage and even though this has slowed what is usually a very busy season for home sales, there is pent-up demand. If Covid 19 leaves quickly, expect a late summer rush of home sales.

If you are looking NOW, as in TODAY (for example), there's hardly any traffic. Most buyers aren't interested in getting out and looking at property, so you would be one of the few. Not only Covid 19 but people's 401k just took a major hit. That means there is a lot less competition to get a home under contract, less likely to face multiple offers, homes sitting longer on the market. Low interest rates, less competition = Good time to buy.
Yes. As a seller right now, I strongly believe it's a good time to buy.
EagleCamden
AG
jja79 said:

There's a lot less competition to get houses under contract, less chance of multiple offers, houses sitting on the market longer, 401K's being decimated and few people out looking but it shouldn't affect RE prices?
Real estate prices are slow to react, unlike the stock market.
mazag08
AG
EagleCamden said:

jja79 said:

Real estate prices are slow to react, unlike the stock market.
Well it takes 30-45 days for the majority of closings to happen. So most homes previously under contract before mid March probably closed at the amount they originally would have. That data could flow all the way into late April.

When we look back, we will definitely see the progression in # of listings, # of sales, list price, and sale price for the 6 months starting in March.
jja79
AG
I just looked at my subdivision, Gleannloch Farms, which is a decent market. Of the 64 active or under contract listings 28 have had a price reduction.
94chem
jja79 said:

The most amazing thing to me about a situation like yours is that the person to whom you must appeal is the person who prepared the report you are appealing. What other profession has no oversight?

Developers in Montgomery County. The county commissioners in Montgomery County.
Sazerac
AG
Officially closed!
thann07
AG
Congrats!

Now if anyone could send prospective buyers my way:
https://www.har.com/homedetail/25710-bang-springs-ct-katy-tx-77494/12357132
suburban cowboy
AG
I went under contract on my first home today
FrontPorchAg
suburban cowboy said:

I went under contract on my first home today
Congrats
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
jagvocate
AG
Just relocated to Spring and am renting. Expect some even better opportunities to buy in 9 months or so.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Update- listed today, have 3 showings scheduled for tomorrow. This is in Pearland.
AliasMan02
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Update- listed today, have 3 showings scheduled for tomorrow. This is in Pearland.

LOOOOTS of houses for sale down here.
AgsMyDude
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Set to close at the end of the month on a rental in B/CS.

Not a fan of all this. But rates are crazy low.

Update. Closed on 4/8. Found tenants and they moved in on 4/26.

Was really sweating it.
98Ag99Grad
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Got 2 offers and 4 more showings tomorrow. Needless to say this is much better than I expected.
Sazerac
98Ag99Grad
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Got 2 offers and 4 more showings tomorrow. Needless to say this is much better than I expected.

Accepted a cash offer for $1000 under our asking price. 2 week close and theyll lease the house back to us while our new one is being finished.
wangus12
AG
jja79 said:

Wish I knew where less competition was. Every house we offer on has had quite a few offers which and we've lost out on several. Put another offer on a house yesterday and they apparently had showings all day yesterday during the storms and are doing more today.

Seems like there have been plenty of people trying to buy and there aren't enough houses being put on the market.
Mas89
AG
94chem said:

jja79 said:

The most amazing thing to me about a situation like yours is that the person to whom you must appeal is the person who prepared the report you are appealing. What other profession has no oversight?

Developers in Montgomery County. The county commissioners in Montgomery County.
Hey they are nowhere near as bad as Liberty County. Liberty county took the colonia that was turned down in Montgomery County. Colony Ridge literally went right across Plum Grove Road and bought approval from Liberty County. 20,000 lots and still growing...
aggiedadofpanda
AG
We are in Far North Dallas. We listed our home last Thursday, went under contract on Sunday with 3 offers out of 9 total showings. 2 offers were above asking. We got a smokin deal on the house we're moving into, divorce situation, he's an ER doctor who just wanted to offload the house. Got it before it ever hit the market. A good realtor is worth their weight in gold.
Bob_Ag
AG
My clients came in second on a house With six offers. Austin area.
expresswrittenconsent
Bob_Ag said:

In a six offer situation are all 6 realtors told what 'place' they came in?
Diggity
AG
of course. How would you win your Exacta bet otherwise?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Problem is people are not wanting to list their houses for strangers to come see.
There is a supply problem and that's keeping prices high, so that's good.
78_Pacecar
AG
Our house goes on the market in a few days. Hopefully we have the same success as others on here.

Located just south of FM 1093, and west of Grand Parkway.
EagleCamden
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Bob_Ag said:

No usually just first and Maybe second place
Bob_Ag
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Bob_Ag said:

I know the listing agent. She told us we were final two, so process of elimination when our offer wasn't accepted. Otherwise, no, its not typically known.
kyledr04
AG
I wish I had as much competition for my house in BCS. It's been slow.
thann07
AG
kyledr04 said:

Yeah. I'm about to have two houses on the books.
coastalAg
AG
We listed yesterday and had a showing request come through within 24 hours. Hopefully the holiday weekend will be a busy one.
kyledr04
AG
thann07 said:

kyledr04 said:

Yeah. I'm about to have two houses on the books.

Me too
SteveBott
AG
The last few post show how true this statement.

All Real Estate is local.

These replies mostly don't show specifics. Where? Price? Subdivision? Taxes? Schools? This is a start.

The DFW market has been on fire for years. Others not as hot right now. It's so specific to your location.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm in College Station, and I'm putting mine on the market next week. Not really in a rush to sell. Already have the other house and moving into it as we speak.
coastalAg
AG
Got a competitive offer on the first showing. Negotiating now, but looking good.

Houston burbs for reference.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.