Real Estate
Sponsored by

Residential RE Listing Charge of $250

1,608 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by E
Reloadags1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a buddy who is a newer agent with REMAX in the Spring area and he mentioned there is now a charge of $250 to list a home due to some program they are required to use for seller disclosures. He is rather concerned this will make listing new homes much more difficult. Do you guys in the business see this as something that will be common?
Diggity
AG
Sounds similar to the "Seller Shield" we're required to offer. Gives the seller protection in case they get sued.

Never heard of anyone requiring it. If anything, the listing agent will have to eat that charge.
94chem
One day, realtors are going to have to either reinvent what they do, or they will mostly go away. Of course that's true for every profession, so that's not exactly profound. Librarians had to learn how to function in the age of computers and digitization. Travel agents have mostly gone extinct. HR people have moved away from coordinating benefits and explaining things to employees, and have re-cast themselves as masters over hiring and bot programming.

I see a future where the realtor is no longer the gatekeeper for the MLS or the local market knowledge, because there's just too much info available. What the consumer needs more than anything is a trusted, affordable list of professional contractors who can handle everything that needs to be done to buy or sell a home. I think they have a real advantage over general contractors because they can readily give out the names of their subs, whereas most GC's will get killed if their e clients mess with their subs. If I were in this business, I would earn my commissions by standing behind my professional plumber, painter, carpenter, electrician, tile, counter, landscaping, roof, AC, interior designer guys 100%.

Bottom line is realtors are facing an uphill battle regarding the value proposition, and this is how I see them earning their keep.
mazag08
AG
94chem said:

One day, realtors are going to have to either reinvent what they do, or they will mostly go away. Of course that's true for every profession, so that's not exactly profound. Librarians had to learn how to function in the age of computers and digitization. Travel agents have mostly gone extinct. HR people have moved away from coordinating benefits and explaining things to employees, and have re-cast themselves as masters over hiring and bot programming.

I see a future where the realtor is no longer the gatekeeper for the MLS or the local market knowledge, because there's just too much info available. What the consumer needs more than anything is a trusted, affordable list of professional contractors who can handle everything that needs to be done to buy or sell a home. I think they have a real advantage over general contractors because they can readily give out the names of their subs, whereas most GC's will get killed if their e clients mess with their subs. If I were in this business, I would earn my commissions by standing behind my professional plumber, painter, carpenter, electrician, tile, counter, landscaping, roof, AC, interior designer guys 100%.

Bottom line is realtors are facing an uphill battle regarding the value proposition, and this is how I see them earning their keep.
Cool story, but this topic discussing one Realtor claiming that a fee I've never heard of is now required is hardly representative of the entire industry.

It had been a while since our last "Realtors are evil and will be replaced" comment.

94chem
Evil, no. Not even close. Quite the opposite. I've paid a lot of commissions, and will continue to do so. But consider this. When I started my job 20 years ago, our on-site HR rep would sit down with you, go over the 401(k) plan options, explain vesting, discuss the pension plan, and talk about the different medical plans, including their personal experience with the company, even down to which 9/80 schedule they preferred and why. Today, there's nobody on-site, and when they offer the service, it's out-sourced to somebody with no company knowledge who has maybe read the brochure. Any real question that involves even the slightest nuance is like asking a cat to do physics.

Just like it concerned investors in 1929 when their barber started handing out stock tips, it should concern realtors when 18 year old kids who can't decide what they wanna be when they grow up are able to hit the market as full-fledged realtors in 18 months.

My comments relate to the OP because even the good realtors I've worked with seem to have trouble communicating effectively what they provide. Sure, it's a little off-topic, but so what. I really appreciate real estate professionals. They're not going away, and even if they were, the legal profession wouldn't let them.
Reloadags1998
AG
Diggity said:

Sounds similar to the "Seller Shield" we're required to offer. Gives the seller protection in case they get sued.

Never heard of anyone requiring it. If anything, the listing agent will have to eat that charge.
I believe that is exactly what it is. So you are required to offer it but not required to sell it. If that's the case he may have got his wires crossed and keyed in on the "required" part. Thank you for the reply.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, it's just some information sheet that the client can sign up for or decline.

CYA move by the broker. My clients have shown much interest in it.
E
AG
That must just be a Remax thing.

I'm a realtor and my broker requires us to use Sellers Shield, which is free to us. It's an electronic version of the sellers disclosure that walks sellers through the form, which makes them understand it better. You can buy a protection plan insurance or something like that but most people (like me) just decline it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.