Real Estate
Sponsored by

Typical markup in furniture

2,998 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MTTANK
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Always been genuinely curious about this and figured this board is as good as any to ask since I'll be in the market for some living room, dining room, bedroom, and patio stuff soon. What is the pricing like? How much can you haggle if paying cash? Any stores in Houston you recommend and will budge? Will stores price match? All the typical I want to save money buying **** questions basically. Thanks.

Also, Costco/Sam's Club quality on furniture
Kenneth_2003
AG
No first hand knowledge, but I figure when a place like Star can give anyone that can pass a credit check 5yrs 0.0% the markup is outrageous. I'm guessing close to 100% before they lop off the commission to the salesperson.
Mucho austin
AG
I imagine the markup is much more than 100%.

Back when I owned several funeral homes, I was buying about 900-1000 caskets a year. Casket is basically a piece of furniture. Our markup would be about 2.5x cost on a low end casket.

$500 wholesale would retail for $1250

At a high end funeral home I used to work at, the markup was significantly higher. We could sell a $1500 cost casket for $15,000.

Not exactly apples to apples but i imagine similar models
IrishTxAggie
AG
This is why my dad is getting a refrigerator box...and I'm getting a new refrigerator
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Mark up is usually 3x

I have a friend who is an interior designer and she gives us her cost on items
4500 couch for 1800 or so.

Don't know about store price haggling but typically there is a lot of room from cost to markup.
62strat
AG
Mucho austin said:

I imagine the markup is much more than 100%.

Back when I owned several funeral homes, I was buying about 900-1000 caskets a year. Casket is basically a piece of furniture. Our markup would be about 2.5x cost on a low end casket.

$500 wholesale would retail for $1250

At a high end funeral home I used to work at, the markup was significantly higher. We could sell a $1500 cost casket for $15,000.

Not exactly apples to apples but i imagine similar models

I'm gonna guess there is zero comparability in a casket vs. a piece of furniture in your living room, for obvious reasons.
agnerd
AG
Costco and Sams club aren't going to haggle. But if you go to a a place like Star and buy a whole house of furniture, they'll back off 10-20% from what I've seen friends pay. Cash can usually get you another ~3% off.
MTTANK
AG
Both my grandpa and dad owned multiple furniture stores. I cannot speak to every business model, but for reference these were not large operations so they paid more for their inventory than a larger or chain store would. Most furniture has at least 100% markup, but that would be the least profitable on the floor. Mattress markup is much higher, closer to 200%. Used furniture is typically an even higher markup, but I imagine that has changed with craigslist and facebook. I would say the larger chain companies get a higher markup, probably aim for an average of at least 200% markup. My dad had a tough time competing with the larger stores because they had such easy financing options. He also complained at how much more he paid since he was unable to buy everything by the truckload, due to his holding capacity. He was a bit hard headed and refused to stock the "junk" most chains carry. To give you an idea of how important selling on credit is to a furniture business, Lacks lost their finance company in the downturn so the owner decided he had made plenty and just liquidated and closed all his stores. Hope this helps.
GIG 'EM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.