Real Estate
Sponsored by

Foreclosure Short Sales

1,911 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Satellite of Love
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is a realtor. She was approached by a bankruptcy lawyer and broker about listing short sales for their clients.

Anybody have experience with that and thoughts to share?
Diggity
AG
unless your wife is a masochist, I would avoid short sales.

They were very popular after the Great Recession and we dabbled in them for a bit. Juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
Rusty GCS
AG
What's painful about them?

Just curious so I can relay the message.

Knowing my wife she'll try one just to see though.
Diggity
AG
I don't know if some have streamlined the process, but when we were doing them, you had to have a contract on the listing before the bank(s) would even look at it. So essentially you're just pulling the list price from thin air. Sometimes the bank would approve, sometimes not. Every time, they would take many weeks (or months) to get back to you. They might come back and just say the sales price isn't high enough, but not give you their bottom line. In that case, you just have to submit another, higher, offer to the lien holder and go through the waiting process again.

If there is a second lien, it's even worse, because the second lien holder will likely receive nothing so they have no incentive to sign off on it.

Most of the time, even though you warn the buyer it will be a while, they bail before you get a response from the bank(s). If you get an "approved" short sale, but the buyer flakes, you put it back on the market (at the approved price). If it sits for another length of time, the bank may or may not decide the accept the "approved" price because the buyer is likely not making payments this whole time, so they're racking up additional fees.

Several times, we had willing buyers who wanted to see the process through, but the lien holders were so slow to respond (and apathetic) that they went ahead and foreclosed on the property rather than accept the short sale. Many times the contact you would have with the bank wouldn't even know the property had already been turned into REO until it was too late.

Now if your lawyer is able to provide you with "approved" short sales, it may be worth a shot. Keep in mind, a lot of times, they beat you (and the buyers agent) down on the commission as well, so you're doing a lot of extra work with the very real possibility of the property never closing, and taking a haircut to boot.

You can make a business out of doing REO and short sales, but you typically would want to be set up solely for that purpose, and have a staff in place for dealing with the different lien holders. I would imagine they would be more reasonable with an agent who does a lot of business with the banks. In the current Houston market, I don't know that there are enough short sales/REO's to justify that specialty. There were a few brokers that did a ton of them back in '08, but I don't see those names much these days.
Diggity
AG
Here is a screen shot of the details on a pretty typical short sale. (Notice it's been sitting for over a year).

• The listing agent started at $268K and a buyer jumped on it (not sure where they came up with that number).
  • Bank came back at $351K (after 3 months) and the buyer walked.
  • Bank has "allowed" the seller to gradually lower the price over the last 11 months
  • Bank put a hard stop at $310K back in July (probably close to the balance on the loan)
  • Market has determined that it's not worth the hassle at that price so it's sitting

SteveBott
AG
Everything Dig's posted. They are a major pain in the A$$ for both RE and mortgage. I will work them when I am slow and pass on them when my book is good. I will not even lock the rate until I see something in writing from the bank. It will just end up expiring. Expect at least 3 months from offer to close.

when I worked in a shop the LO next to me worked one. The listing agent kept saying the deal is done, dont worry etc. His client sold their house in CA and was literally driving to TX when he gets a call from the agent saying the bank declined the deal. Why? the bank found some undeclared money in a bank from the seller and wanted the cash and the seller would not give it to them. Ended in foreclosure. The LO had call them on their cell while they were driving in. Tough call. Buyer ended up in a hotel for 3 weeks and their stuff in storage.
mazag08
AG
Ya I would decline. Would take up a lot of her time too.
The Fife
Exactly this. We bought one in early 2011 and it took forever. Wells Fargo, Wells Fargo, and a bank bought by Wells Fargo held the loans and all three had to agree on the sales price along with who got however much of the proceeds. They acted like three independent banks despite being essentially the same.

Once I was getting ready to walk and it had already been however long since the owners stopped paying anything they suddenly got their act together. It was a huge pain.
Satellite of Love
SteveBott said:

Everything Dig's posted. They are a major pain in the A$$ for both RE and mortgage. I will work them when I am slow and pass on them when my book is good. I will not even lock the rate until I see something in writing from the bank. It will just end up expiring. Expect at least 3 months from offer to close.

when I worked in a shop the LO next to me worked one. The listing agent kept saying the deal is done, dont worry etc. His client sold their house in CA and was literally driving to TX when he gets a call from the agent saying the bank declined the deal. Why? the bank found some undeclared money in a bank from the seller and wanted the cash and the seller would not give it to them. Ended in foreclosure. The LO had call them on their cell while they were driving in. Tough call. Buyer ended up in a hotel for 3 weeks and their stuff in storage.
That doesn't seem like a short sale to me...
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.