Real Estate
Sponsored by

Bought a flipped home, now worried about the structure

4,010 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 88jrt06
Mbrymer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We moved up to DFW about 8 months ago and bought a house that was built in the 60s. Was completely flipped, and overall we thought they did a great job. Fast forward and I'm getting worried about my kitchen/open living room area. Starting to see multiple cracks in the ceiling, and I know that they removed multiple walls while remodeling. Have already had a foundation expert out and he's confirned that the whole slab has moved together, but it all looks normal. I did some digging and no permits were requested, received, or filed with the city during any portion of the remodel. Especially with the amount of walls they removed, I'm pretty worried they took out a load bearing wall or two and didn't take the propert steps to support the load.

With our first baby on the way we're really hoping this isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, and if it does someone else might be on the hook for it. Any suggestions on where to turn/what to do here?
Dover97
Can you get to the attic? If so you may be able to see if there is a truss that is not supported by a wall.
Yesterday
AG
Structural engineer. My house in the Las Colinas area moves every week. Could be normal or it could be catastrophic. An engineer would be able to tell you.
Mbrymer
Have insulation blown into the attic that will make it pretty tough. The attic itself isn't very high so it would be trying to crouch, walk from beam to beam, and then dig through insulation
Mbrymer
Appreciate the advice, I'll give one a call first thing Monday
mwp02ag
AG

I inspect a lot of these 60s ranch style homes with shallow attics here in SA. They are usually truss built roofs, like the right side of the image above. If you see the webbing like that its most likely going to be ok. Most of the trusses in these homes are designed to carry roof load to the exterior walls, meaning you could technically remove all interior walls and the roof and structure are going to remain standing.

If it's stick built, look for purlins (horizontal lumber intersecting the rafters about half way up the roof) and specifically purlin bracing (45 degree lumber supporting the purlin and therefore roof load to an interior wall top plate). If you see purlin and purlin bracing, specifically in the area of question, you may need to add a header and potentially a column or two to replace the now missing load bearing walls.

That said, absolutely have a professional look at it. If it was me, I'd skip the structural engineer and go straight to a trusted contractor who knows and understands framing. It will save you the expense of having an engineer who is going to tell you "yep you need a contractor to fix this" if there is a problem.
Mbrymer
Thankfully ours is the second kind! Some great peace of mind but still definitely going to have someone come out. Thanks so much for the information, that's incredibly helpful
The Fife
Between this

Quote:

I did some digging and no permits were requested, received, or filed with the city during any portion of the remodel

and it being a flipped house I see all kinds of red flags here.
HTownAg98
The house flipper's motto: I don't need permits for that!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
HTownAg98 said:

The house flipper's motto: I don't need permits for that!

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
mwp02ag
AG
Great, glad that all made sense!
mwp02ag
AG
hahaha, I really need to watch that show but I can't get the wife to stop repeating The Office.

I didn't pull structural permits on my triplex or this house hack I'm almost done with, but I understand structure and have framers who know what they are doing. It's the guys doing all the work themselves, because they think that's how you make money, that get to be the problem. I did pull full mechanical, plumbing and electrical permits on the triplex. Passed all, with the exception of plumbing rough, the first time.

The guys who splice alumni to copper in the attic with regular ole wire nuts and no junction boxes who really scare me. I see that all the time. It amazes me what some people think they are going to get away with sometimes.
Ornlu
AG
What did your home inspection report say from when you purchased the home? I'd be REALLY worried if he missed the lack of support beams. If he missed that, what else did he miss?
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

Could be normal or it could be catastrophic.
Said every wife about sex.
expresswrittenconsent
Your wife describes sex as either being normal or catastrophic?
Satellite of Love
expresswrittenconsent said:

Well one result is not pregnant versus to catastrophic result of pregnant!
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
88jrt06
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Synonyms: "Patient, intimate, caring..." vs. "Yessss!....zzzzzz"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.