Real Estate
Sponsored by

Renting while waiting on house to sell

1,649 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Beckdiesel03
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Few questions-

It's been years since we lived in Texas, does anyone know the rental market in south San Antonio?

Are cheaper, but not ghetto, apartments easy to come by? Quickly running a budget on now imaginary numbers says we can probably swing close to 1k, but prefer to stay below that?

How is COL in San Antonio? Obviously I won't have state income taxes, and vehicle insurance and registration will be cheaper, but I have no idea about much when it comes to San Antonio.

Best advice for moving a house in a stale market that is saturated with over priced houses? Lots of houses hit at the same time and listed high, hoping their relo company buys them. We know we likely will only get something around what we bought for, and not really get anything back for the improvements made, other than not being upside down.

Any help would be appreciated. This is all theoretical right now, but if things happen like we think, they could happen pretty quickly. Just trying to do my due diligence if this all comes to fruition.
Bill Robbins
AG
COL Calculator
histag10
AG
Bill Robbins said:

COL Calculator

Thanks. Unfortunately where I currently live isnt on there, and there is no where in my state that is comparable. I've looked at the COL calculators, which is why I was asking on here.
SoTheySay
S
I would price it to move it and wouldn't list until it was 100% ready to hit the market. No "we'll get to it" things.

We listed quickly so we rented a storage and threw every baby item we could in there. That was a good choice for us.
Ragoo
AG
I would try and be north and east, personally.
Matsui
AG
Where are you moving from?
histag10
AG
Matsui said:

Where are you moving from?

Eastern Montana.

Everything is hypothetical right now. Not really sure when we will know for sure.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I would also suggest NOT locating to the south side. I'm assuming your trying to be close to the EFS and the o&g companies but it's not an ideal area for families. Most people drive in from SA or the other areas out that way. This is coming from someone whose husband works down that way as well.
histag10
AG
SoTheySay said:

I would price it to move it and wouldn't list until it was 100% ready to hit the market. No "we'll get to it" things.

We listed quickly so we rented a storage and threw every baby item we could in there. That was a good choice for us.

Thats probably what we will try to do. May even move before we list it (if we move at all). We are in the middle of a pretty big renovation right now, so we will HAVE to finish stuff out.

we are in the middle of putting down new tile downstairs (kitchen, dining, mud room, powder room); remodeling the powder room completely (but thats just down to paint, back splash, and and hanging a barn door); and a complete kitchen build (in a new room). We still need to hang a few (3) cabinets, put up back splash (but I may do something different now), and install counters. Oh and we need new baseboards installed downstairs but thats quick.

As far as outside, we will likely need to sod the back yard, as we have 2 very large dogs, and its pretty much just hardened dirt at this point.

YIKES. It makes me anxious thinking about all of this, especially since I will likely be left here to deal with this stuff for a while by myself.

We are thinking we will likely end up pricing it around what we bought it for, maybe 10K more and offer to pay all closing costs, which would put us in a VERY favorable position with what is out there, and we would walk away with enough for a good sized down payment on something new. Damn the oil market. We were hoping to wait until it came back stronger to sell, because if we sold in a similar market we bought in, we could list 50-75K higher than what we will likely list for.
histag10
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

I would also suggest NOT locating to the south side. I'm assuming your trying to be close to the EFS and the o&g companies but it's not an ideal area for families. Most people drive in from SA or the other areas out that way. This is coming from someone whose husband works down that way as well.

Yes. Job would likely be out of Pleasanton. We would only move to the south side as long as we are renting and waiting on our house to sell, and then we would move to wherever the job is. A quick look of what is available in the Pleasanton area really shows nothing as far as renting, which is why we were looking south SA.

Of course, my luck, we would end up in Midland instead (which is a slight possibility, but I know that area well)
Beckdiesel03
AG
Short term, I personally would do Pleasanton over the Southside. There are plenty of nice spots around SA that wouldn't be too bad of a commute but the southside of SA is really ghetto and to put it nicely is just gross. The SA board has a "where to live" thread that has a ton of good info.
histag10
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

Short term, I personally would do Pleasanton over the Southside. There are plenty of nice spots around SA that wouldn't be too bad of a commute but the southside of SA is really ghetto and to put it nicely is just gross. The SA board has a "where to live" thread that has a ton of good info.

I guess once things are set in stone, I'll start calling around to see if there are any rentals out there.

Out of curiosity, who does your husband work for in the efs?
Beckdiesel03
AG
He does contract work but has been down in Pleasanton since 2009. We had looked at moving down there several times but I can't/won't do it bc me and the kids really love where we are at now as well as having family close by. With the slow down there has been a lot more rentals down there and prices have gone down to more normal prices. You will probably have better luck calling around to a property manager or realtor vs waiting for them to list rentals online.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.