Real Estate
Sponsored by

FEMA Map - What's your opinion about this map? Cypress, TX

1,963 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tford12
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Just wondering what you guys and gals think about the area within the black circle, from a flooding point of view. Seems to me like its a very high risk for flood, especially Kohle Springs ln.

But then again, something I noticed during the most recent big storm and flooding, some homes (not in this area) flooded because the back yard wasn't graded properly. So water came in from the back door.

OnlyForNow
AG
Why would you think it's a high risk for flood? A good portion of what you circled is in the 100 year floodplain, so if you own a house there you have to have flood insurance to get a typical loan. The 500 yr not so much.

I had lamented that the newer FEMA revisions adopted over the last few years in Harris and Fort Bend county went above the limits they should. However during the flood in June water from the Brazos reached the elevation and location of ththe 100 year FP And didn't go further. So they proved me wrong. Those folks know what they're doing.

Is it a bad idea to get flood insurance if your in the 500-year FP, not at all, but I would think your chances of flooding are going to be due to storm sewers not flowing properly due to very fast rainfall in a localized storm in the neighborhood, not from the creek itself. Could be a combination of the two but I figure that wouldn't be the norm.
tford12
AG
FYI, There are new floodplain maps being released for this area based on the restudy of the Ad***** Reservoir watershed. The preliminary version was released in 2015; supposed to become official sometime in late 2017.
The area you have circled seems to be remaining mostly the same

LINK
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.