Real Estate
Sponsored by

Appraisal coming in low

10,617 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggie appraiser said:

Regarding some of the comments about having a condo or a manufactured home used as a comparable sale for a site built home, it's hard to believe those things happened. I have never seen it done or even heard of it happening. Things like that need to be investigated.

Subject house was a single story by the way.

aggie appraiser
wow
ToddyHill
AG
Can't say that I've ever seen a manufactured home used as a Comp for a built on site structure. That in and of itself should show it was a bogus appraisal...at least that's my opinion.
aggie appraiser
so many potential problems with the example

What did the appraiser say when the mobile home was questioned? Apparently he was trying to bracket quality/condition and gross living area.
jja79
AG
I'm going to look up the appraisal I referenced with a condo as a comp for new construction, 3/4 acre lot in a country club community.
jja79
AG
Can't get the snip of the adjustment grid to show up Aggie appraiser but the deal closed May 27 of this year. 4,800 SF to be built, 3/3 acre lot and comp 1 is 10 year old condo. I couldn't have made this up.
aggie appraiser
What do these people say when they get called out?

I don't know what to say.
HTownAg98
Yeah, that's bad.
jja79
AG
Who would call them out? As a bank we can't communicate with the appraiser at all.
aggie appraiser
jja79 said:

Who would call them out? As a bank we can't communicate with the appraiser at all.

I get them from time to time and assumed they came from collaboration between the borrower, realtor, and the lender. As far as I know, you are allowed to submit a rebuttal formatted similar to what I described on the first page. For example, please consider the properties at 123 and 234 Aggieland Drive for additional comparable sales. They are builder sales that were not in the MLS system. Attached is the necessary documentation. In this case, please explain why a mobile home was used as a comparable instead of another site built home such as 123 Aggieland Drive.

p_bubel
I'm frankly less impressed with sale #2 than I am with the manufactured home. (Assuming the associated adjustment can be supported)

In the end, it all comes down to the reconciliation. What does it say? I see one possible comparable in that report. (It happens, especially with odd ball properties) if the other two were given no weight in the reconciliation then I have less issues with this mess.
jac4
AG
jja79 said:

So the banks are the consumer, but they can't communicate with the appraiser?

Someone stated earlier that the seller isn't the consumer. Sounds like a poor system with little to no accountability. That's why I say bash away on a public forum.
AgLiving06
I look at it differently. In general, I really don't think "banks" care (not lenders on here, but the generic bank they work for).

I truly believe that banks would prefer to let the buyer/seller agree what market value is but that politically it became unfavorable to trust people to do the right thing.

So they've taken the approach that if an appraiser (third party) agrees then they are above scrutiny.

This of course leads to less than qualified people in a role with way too much power, but honestly I really don't think the banks care since it keeps them relatively insulated.
jja79
AG
About 70% of our loans stay on the bank's balance sheet so we do care about appraisals. As mentioned we can submit additional comps for consideration but all the appraiser has to say is they're not suitable and it's case closed.
SteveBott
AG
jja79 said:

jj you are right then wrong. Lenders cannot contact appraisers about value. In any way. But we can talk to them on administrative level. Say invoice bookkeeping stuff.

At the end of the day, I never call an appraiser. And they are not held accountable in the system. It needs to be fixed.
SteveBott
AG
jja79 said:

About 70% of our loans stay on the bank's balance sheet so we do care about appraisals. As mentioned we can submit additional comps for consideration but all the appraiser has to say us they're not suitable and it's case closed.

And this. Fooking right on.
jja79
AG
Administrative level is another situation entirely. We can't communicate with them concerning the report, their conclusion or the quality of the work.
DallasAggie0
How do you go about holding appraisers accountable though?

Is there a review appraiser for the lender who handled this? In commercial, I used to have a review appraiser for the lender who is an MAI that reviewed all of my reports and sent feedback with questions. Something like the above happening would not have been ok.

SteveBott
AG
Dallas there is no checks and balance in the system right now and that's the problem
jja79
AG
All a review does is see if all the blanks are filled in. If you want to contest the value estimate you appeal to the appraiser who did the report. That's crazy.
p_bubel
Quote:

Is there a review appraiser for the lender who handled this?
Yes, there is, or at least I can't think of any lender I work with that doesn't.

There's also the state review board and well before that quality control for the AMC which also has review appraisers and underwriters. Not to mention the automated systems in place now verifying information for the subject and comparables. ( Which can be a mess ) Used a sale in a report and called it C3 in condition and two years later call that same house a C4, you better have an explanation.

Then there are routine and random review appraisals sent out to other appraisers to check on your work and the final opinion of value. These are very specific reviews just for the opinion of value and report methodology. These are not rubber stamps. Some appraisers really get their rocks off tearing down the competition.

AMCs also have do no use lists. Get on one of those for any reason and you're out of work.

Appraisers get sued for appraisals, rightly and wrongly, as well. For reasons that we have absolutely no control over (ie loan default, mortgage fraud, buyers remorse) and for reasons that are at least a little understandable due to anger ( came in below sales price, killed a refinance)

And anyone can file a complaint to the state board too. Anyone. That appraisal linked on the previous page? The state could easily take away his license to work and they would probably never get it back.

Thousands of dollars in classes, hundreds of hours in those classes, years of being a trainee, all gone because he took what appears to be a really nasty assignment for $250 to $450 and their opinion of reasonable comparables differs from mine. (and the reviewers)

What else do y'all want? Jail time? 'Cause that can happen too. ( For facilitating outright fraud, intentional or not )
jja79
AG
All that may happen but I've never seen a review appraiser do anything but make sure the blanks are filled in.
SteveBott
AG
Agree with jj. All that supposedly actions p_bubel are false positives.

I've never had a independent review from an AMC much less a change in value.

I've never seen a lawsuit filed by a lender or client about value.

I've never seen a complaint to the state appraisal commission from a lender or client about value.

I have seen plenty of crappy reports that kill a deal costing all parties thousands of dollars while the appraiser got paid with no consequences.

Steve Bott
p_bubel
Oye.
Good luck in your future endeavors.
SteveBott
AG
p_bubel said:

Oye.
Good luck in your future endeavors.

And?

I've been in Mortgage 14 years. And what Mr. p?
jja79
AG
Several specific examples of appraisal issues are cited here. Can you cite any specific instances of regulatory action, court cases involving value conclusions, comparable sales used, reconsideration of value requests or changes made by review appraisers that you're familiar with? I got into the banking business 37 years ago and I can't think of one.
SteveBott
AG
jj exactly, I can't think of one deal I'd advise my client to protest the value

Not one.
SteveBott
AG
Edit: waist of my time.
aggie appraiser
jja79 said:

Several specific examples of appraisal issues are cited here. Can you cite any specific instances of regulatory action, court cases involving value conclusions, comparable sales used, reconsideration of value requests or changes made by review appraisers that you're familiar with? I got into the banking business 37 years ago and I can't think of one.
Yes, I can. I know a guy who had his FHA certification pulled for a while and a guy who is under investigation for fraud for a couple of appraisals for a specific lender that was targeted. One of the files in question is a performing loan.

We discussed numerous times how we've had our comparable sales questioned by the new Collateral Underwriting program. I can think of three times recently where my comparable sales were challenged by realtors/lenders/borrowers. Once, I added several new comps and increased the value significantly. When I asked the builder for comps, they said they didn't have any. When the appraisal came in low, they asked me to reconsider my value and redo my work. I had asked for the data and the builder was lazy and didn't do their job. I changed the report because it was the right thing to do and I want my work to be right, even if it takes two times to get it right. Two other times I didn't change out the comps. One because they didn't challenge my work with closed sales. The other, the borrower wanted me to use sales that were on lots that were 5-7 times larger than the subject. I've taken the time to explain to people what they need to do if they feel my appraisal isn't fair, but they rarely can provide evidence that supports their position.

Reviewing reports, I have changed the values or redone the reports probably over half of the time. It turns into a major pain and the fee isn't worth the work, so I try to avoid review work. One that comes to mind, the original appraiser pulled comps from a superior section of the subdivision (gated and on acreage) and put the value on those comps and not the comps that were not gated and on much smaller lots.

I'm surprised you don't have the ability to get an appraiser off your panel if they are not turning in good work.

I don't know what good this does, but there are appraisers who are conscientious about their work.
jja79
AG
I've been involved in numerous challenges to the value conclusion over the years. That's not uncommon.

I didn't say we don't try to remove appraisers who turn in poor work more often than they should.

Got a lot of football to watch today and golf to play tomorrow so y'all have a great weekend.
Deats99
AG
Surprisingly the only addition I will add is this. You cannot challenge an appraisal with your opinion. You cannot challenge your appraisers professional opinion. You have to find material defects in his/her logic/research. You can only argue facts. Find the holes in his work and call him out on it, i.e. room counts, gross square footage issues, bathroom counts, finish grade, major builder upgrades i.e. hard woods vs. laminate, outdoor living spaces,

I have found, once you find a crack that they cannot deny, additional correct value comes along.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
jja79
AG
When you appeal based on errors, poor choice of comps, etc you still have to appeal to the appraiser you feel is in error. That's a bad system.
Deats99
AG
That is where the AMC comes into play.
SteveBott
AG
Deats which AMC are you getting real value appeals? I want to sign up.
malenurse
AG
Full disclosure here. I am not a realtor (obviously) but my wife is.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been c0ck blocked when my wife comes home absolutely furious about some ridiculously low appraisal and the egotistical jackass appraiser who refuses to consider more accurate comps from my wife.

I want to know who I can appeal to so I can get my sex life back on track.

I fuggin hate appraisers.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.