Caitlin Clark Left Off USA Olympic Roster

4,200 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by coldmoose
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The AP reports that Caitlin Clark has been left off the Olympic women's basketball roster. Why even follow the sport after college? The US's most popular player allowing WNBA teams to move their games from 4,000 seat arena to selling out 20,000 seat arena only when she is in town isn't going to be on our Olympic roster even though she has elevated the sport like no one else in history. The people who control women's basketball don't like fans and certainly don't want to grow their game.

Edit: the story has been edited with some spin trying to justify the why, but that isn't how Olympic participants are chosen. That is why there is no big hoop de hoo about the Olympic trials anymore. They are chosen on a holistic look now not just some single day or weekend competition.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40304459/reports-caitlin-clark-usa-basketball-national-team-roster
themissinglink
AG
It's as if USA basketball and the WNBA don't actually want people to watch women's basketball.
Bucketrunner
WNBA heading back to irrelevancy.

I haven't cared about the olympic team since they couldn't respect the national anthem in Reed arena several years ago.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Imagine the outrage if she were a black woman.

This is 100% about trying to keep the other ladies on the team happy. 100%. Of course, they'll tell you that's ridiculous but anyone paying attention knows that's exactly it.
SlickHairandlotsofmoney
I can see the argument, looking at WNBA stats alone. But I highly doubt the other guards are drawing this kind of defense:

Jsaba7
I do not think selection to the Olympic Team is based on popularity or on race.
Nneka Ogwumike who is black was the 2016 WNBA MVP and was the MVP of the World Games and she was left off the 2016 and 2021 US Olympic Teams. Arike Ogunboware also black, was the MVP of Notre Dame's national championship winning team in 2018, and she is ranked second in scoring in the WNBA this year and is not in the 2024 Olympic team which is really puzzling.

mjschiller
AG
Racist
Marvin J. Schiller
Bucketrunner
I am sick and tired of Diana T.
Gap
AG
Jsaba7 said:

I do not think selection to the Olympic Team is based on popularity or on race.
Nneka Ogwumike who is black was the 2016 WNBA MVP and was the MVP of the World Games and she was left off the 2016 and 2021 US Olympic Teams. Arike Ogunboware also black, was the MVP of Notre Dame's national championship winning team in 2018, and she is ranked second in scoring in the WNBA this year and is not in the 2024 Olympic team which is really puzzling.
I agree. But what is occurring is not good for the sport. The same thing happen with USA Women's Soccer. The leadership of these organizations gave control of the teams away about a decade ago to a group of players (many whom happen to be noisy activists). The team isn't selected how it should be. It is selected to make this group happy. This is not good for the sport to be stuck with this group until they relinquish control after it was already too late.
Gap
AG
Bucketrunner said:

She will be 42 years old during the Olympics. Imagine if the 40 year olds hadn't gotten out of the way when she was selected for her first Olympic team in 2004 at the age of 21.

We would have gotten 43 year old Sue Bird this year too if she hadn't retired last year.
Bullpen Chias
AG
mjschiller said:

Racist

19% of the WNBA is white
33% of the US Olympic team is white

Racism seems like a real reach.
Bucketrunner
and I was weary of her, too
Kozmozag
33%? What is your definition of white.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Kozmozag said:

33%? What is your definition of white.

Tarausi is South American. My bad. 25%. Still above leagues 18%.
Brutal Puffin
AG
Dawn Staley is a cold b from hell.
mjschiller
AG
BC - not really
Marvin J. Schiller
Lake08
I am going to laugh when it's this time next year and no one is talking about this stupid league. These idiots are literally ruining this once in a lifetime opportunity
GrayMatter
AG
Gap said:

Bucketrunner said:

She will be 42 years old during the Olympics. Imagine if the 40 year olds hadn't gotten out of the way when she was selected for her first Olympic team in 2004 at the age of 21.

We would have gotten 43 year old Sue Bird this year too if she hadn't retired last year.
You're sick and tired of winning because we have a 40 year old that can still play among the best in the world?

I don't care about ratings, I want to annihilate every country with the best team on the floor. I love to watch Caitlin, but give the girl some rest. She hasn't rested in a long time. She'll be on the team in no time taking over for Diana when she rides off into the sunset.
Gap
AG
We have won 7 golds in a row at the Olympics. Our college basketball system is a feeder like no other. The US invests so much more than most other countries via Title IX. We would win gold if we sent players 10-30 to the Olympics.

The most experienced team ever sent to World Cup Soccer by the USA is in the photos below. I wonder if anything besides "experience" matters?

Taurasi was given the opportunity to be on the Olympic team at 21 years old. Caitlin Clark can only hope to be included in the next Olympics at the age of 26.

Every Olympic team should have a blend of experience and the next generation. The bottom lime is talent with the new talent ready to be the "experience" and "talent" next time around. USA women's soccer and women's basketball gave away the keys instead of selecting the best players each time around. It has been great for those players but not for the sport.

GrayMatter
AG
I agree with you on the soccer analysis but soccer does not equal basketball.

You have the best team representing the US in this years Olympics by miles and the whole world has not caught up to this team.

We've won 9 gold medals in a row, why would we change how we select the team just because of what's happening in US Women's Soccer?
Bucketrunner
IMHO, just about any SEC women's team would do well in the Olympics. This USA team is one I won't watch.
Artimus Gordon
AG
I haven't watched a minute of women's Olympic basketball, ever. There is no reason to start now.
Ag9701
AG
From what I read, preparing for the Olympics is a multiyear process with camps where players participate. They narrow the list down as time passes. I assume CC has not participated in this process. Makes sense to me she wasn't chosen if what I read was true.
Gap
AG
Caitlin Clark has been part of USA basketball (junior and senior programs) since she was 16. She was MVP of the 2021 FIBA Under-19 Women's Basketball World Cup leading the US to gold. She was 1 of 14 players, and the only college player, to receive an invitation from the US national team to the final training camp for the 2024 Summer Olympics. She did not attend as it occurred during the same week that she was playing with Iowa in the Final Four of the 2024 NCAA tournament. The selection committee stated that it would follow her performance in the NCAA tourney and early 2024 WNBA season to help determine its final 2024 Olympic roster. She apparently didn't do enough for them.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Bucketrunner said:

WNBA heading back to irrelevancy.

I haven't cared about the olympic team since they couldn't respect the national anthem in Reed arena several years ago.
Has it ever been relevant…?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Gap said:

Bucketrunner said:

Guess which team got beat Sunday by Clark and Indiana - Phoenix with Turasi and Griner!
jja79
AG
17,000 people showed up to watch her game Sunday here in Phoenix.
well_endowed_ag
themissinglink said:

It's as if USA basketball and the WNBA don't actually want people to watch women's basketball.

They don't. They just want to be victims.
coldmoose
It was a good game. The star of the All-Star game was Arike Ogunbowale of the Dallas Wings. She was amazing. Arike had 34 points. She exploded in the second half. This was the second time Arike won the All-Star game MVP award. She is also having a good season. Maybe she gets picked next time for the Olympic team. The rookies had a decent debut. Caitlin Clark had 4 points and 10 assists. Angel Reese had 12 points and 11 rebounds. Overall, it was a nice showing by the WNBA All-Star squad against Team USA.

Breanna Stewart and A'ja Wilson led Team USA with a combined 53 points. No surprise. League MVPs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.