Portal news

27,638 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by Kbeauty63
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieSports said:

This was shared by a friend who attended the Brazos County Coaches Night….

"Joni said that we lost a player in the transfer portal because we didn't have $400,000 to spend, and we can't compete with that."

I hate that college athletics has come to this. I wonder if any rich Ag would like to donate to WBB NIL. It's going to be hard to compete with lsu, South Carolina, and others who can offer so much $$

Janiah is not rated in the top 100 NIL list wbb #100 has 49,000 followers Fb and X I don't know how many fb followers Janiah has but she only has 2,600+ on X compare to HVL at over a million so how does she justify her figure
Gap
AG
The cadre of ambulance chaser attorneys funding a significant portion of LSU NIL could care less what the On3 NIL valuation is or how many Instagram followers they have. They are just chipping in for the players identified that the coaches want.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Tineya Hylton is heading to the Big12 and Cincinnati. Wishing her the best! Really liked watching her play.
AggieSports
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Tineya Hylton is heading to the Big12 and Cincinnati. Wishing her the best! Really liked watching her play.

Hey great minds think alike. I said almost the same thing on the Transfers Out thread.
fitzwatema
AG
Good luck to Hylton, I hope she does well there.
trackaggie76
AG
It is still odd to me that Hylton and Barker both followed Joni to A&M and now are leaving---is this based on NIL, not enough playing time, falling out of favor from the coaches, ???? all of the above?
Kbeauty63
AG
trackaggie76 said:

It is still odd to me that Hylton and Barker both followed Joni to A&M and now are leaving---is this based on NIL, not enough playing time, falling out of favor from the coaches, ???? all of the above?
and don't forget Sydney Bowles (also in the portal AND followed Coach Taylor)
Ag4eva95
Hylton was a bull in a china cabinet. While her defense was solid, she wasn't going to elevate this team. Same with Bowels. You could tell that something wasn't clicking with both of them. They couldn't run or understand the offense.

Barker is obviously the one that hurts. If she puts it all together at her next stop, she could be a top 3 draft pick.

WBBALLFAN84
Ag4eva95 said:

Hylton was a bull in a china cabinet. While her defense was solid, she wasn't going to elevate this team. Same with Bowels. You could tell that something wasn't clicking with both of them. They couldn't run or understand the offense.

Barker is obviously the one that hurts. If she puts it all together at her next stop, she could be a top 3 draft pick.

Did any of the guards besides Endiya look like they were running the offense? My answer is Joni's offense is run for the 1, 4 and 5 position with the 2 and 3s in the corner. Additionally, in my opinion, the offense needs spot up 3 point shooters which is not Bowles and Sole's specialty. I went and watched some AAU and high school film on them both and they were both dynamic 3 level players which happen to shoot 3s when they were open. The offense that was run the last two years needs 2 and 3s where 3 point shooting is their specialty. The guards had a new position coach come in last year when Katherine Graham left, so that obviously affected year 2 development. Hopefully with 2 years under Coach Flip, you will see better guard play.

Hopefully, the offense is expanded a bit to allow for more ball and body movement for the 2's and 3s to open up driving lanes for the entire team. That would help Sahara Jones, that started at the SG that had trouble with shooting 3s also because she likes to dive and slash to the basket.

aggiedrjdub
AG
I really think Sole was a fantastic spot 3 point shooter. She was the most lethal shooter we had on the team. Where are you saying she fits in Joni's offense?
WBBALLFAN84
I will say this, she could fit shooting the 3 if she buys into the offense that was run the past 2 years. Most dynamic 3 level players want to do more than shoot 3s. My hope is a more dynamic offense ( ball and body movement) and everyone will be happy.
WestHillsAg
AG
AggieSports said:

This was shared by a friend who attended the Brazos County Coaches Night….

"Joni said that we lost a player in the transfer portal because we didn't have $400,000 to spend, and we can't compete with that."

I hate that college athletics has come to this. I wonder if any rich Ag would like to donate to WBB NIL. It's going to be hard to compete with lsu, South Carolina, and others who can offer so much $$

Anyone paying any player off last year's team anywhere close to $400K has lost their mind.
fdt88rv
AG
WestHillsAg said:

Anyone paying any player off last year's team anywhere close to $400K has lost their mind.

Maybe it's not just the value they bring to that team but the damage it does to ours. Just like the days of football team rosters with 200 on them.
FDT88RV Marine to the Corps
greg.w.h
AG
Nike spends more than that…
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think if Joni wanted Janiah to stay she would have found a way…cold hard truth.
aggiedrjdub
AG
KayKay Green commits to Charlotte. Good luck KayKay Gig'em
Ag4eva95
Do you know how many scholarships we are trying to fill? Feels like at least 5 more
aggiedrjdub
AG
Someone earlier posted 4. I'm not certaIn, though.
Ag4eva95
It's going to be very interesting….: most of the top transfers are already committed. Not sure how much real quality is left out there. Joni isn't exactly striking gold this time around
WBBALLFAN84
You can carry 15. Below are the 11 thus far, which leaves 4 spots.

Aicha Coulibaly
Erica Moon
Vanessa Saidu
Jada Malone
Sole Williams
Kyndall Hunter
Sahara Jones
Lauren Ware
Taliyah Parker
Janae Kent
Amirah Abdur-Rahim
Ag4eva95
This roster worries me. We need a proven point guard bad. No guarantee Moon will take over day 1. No one else is a true PG. I know Taylor is all about position less basketball, but you still need someone who can run the show. I don't currently see that .
trackaggie76
AG
I wish her the best but.....she has been a turnover machine!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Buzz seems to be killing it in the portal.
greg.w.h
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Buzz seems to be killing it in the portal.
He is doing well. But with zero games played it's like a box of Russell Stover…which always has surprises and too few are wonderful…but if he has a breakout year then we will look back and remember the portal adds.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I hope so. Seems to be coming together for him. I guess patience is a virtue, unfortunately.
Indianrider
aggiedrjdub
AG
Crickets.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Ag4eva95
I'm worried about next year…….
aggiedrjdub
AG
Beginning to feel the same…
Ag4eva95
I think there are two things that could help save next year.

1. Find a real point guard that can move and offense and play solid defense. Understand and communicate, provide leadership.

2. Bring Barker back. I'm really curious as to why she hasn't already committed
Kbeauty63
AG
Ag4eva95 said:

I think there are two things that could help save next year.

1. Find a real point guard that can move and offense and play solid defense. Understand and communicate, provide leadership.

2. Bring Barker back. I'm really curious as to why she hasn't already committed
Barker's not coming back. It's not an option
aggiedrjdub
AG
Did something happen or do you just say that bc once she's in the portal the coaches won't allow her back?
Kbeauty63
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Did something happen or do you just say that bc once she's in the portal the coaches won't allow her back?

That's what I heard at the banquet. Once they go to the portal - they don't come back
StaceyS92$
I heard once they go into the portal they forfeit the scholarship. My thoughts our Barker didn't perform up to what her potential is. Joni did mentioned at Beyond the Basketball the need for funding of NIL. That one player came to visit and she was offered $400k to play for 1 year. We can't afford that better yet fill the stands or support through the Fast Break club.
Kbeauty63
AG
StaceyS92$ said:

I heard once they go into the portal they forfeit the scholarship. My thoughts our Barker didn't perform up to what her potential is. Joni did mentioned at Beyond the Basketball the need for funding of NIL. That one player came to visit and she was offered $400k to play for 1 year. We can't afford that better yet fill the stands or support through the Fast Break club.
that's interesting (losing scholarship). As far as NIL - I agree - we can't even fill the stands. BTW I had also heard that Texas has limits (?) on NIL - unlike other states (like Louisiana) and that's why we can't compete for some of the 'flashy' players in the Transfer Portal

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.