Recruiting

5,159 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WBBALLFAN84
Charlie Moran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone tell me who is in charge of our women's BB recruiting ? Thanks in advance
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
Rudybryan
Joni Taylor Head Coach says about Chelsea Newton our assoc Head Coach

"Chelsea [Newton] is one of the best and brightest coaches in the country," Taylor added. "Her ability to coach, teach the game and develop players puts them in a position to be successful, not only during their collegiate careers, but also to become a professional athlete if that is what they aspire to. Her personality and ability to create and maintain relationships with anyone she meets makes her one of the best recruiters in the country. There is no doubt that Chelsea could be a head coach right now if she desired. I am grateful that she chose to come to Texas A&M and excited about what the future holds for her."
Rudybryan
Gap
AG
Charlie Moran said:

Can anyone tell me who is in charge of our women's BB recruiting ? Thanks in advance

The head coach in every sport is in charge of recruiting. They may have administrative staff with titles like recruiting coordinator and they certainly break direct evaluation and recruiting out to assistant coaches by things like position and geographic location but at the end of the day it all comes back to the head coach to organize or approve how it is organized and also be the final decider on who they pursue with a legit, commitable offer and also be the closer in the direct relationship with the recruit.
aggiedrjdub
AG

Is this girl on our radar??
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Lake08
aggiedrjdub said:

We are not on hers'
aggiedrjdub
AG
Bummer
WBBALLFAN84
It takes a year or two for Joni and Staff to make inroads in Texas. Kylie must have really liked Staff and committed, which will help going forward. I believe this young ladies sister plays at TCU also.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Okay - I noticed coach Mosley has been liking all of her posts on Twitter so I was just curious.
aggiedrjdub
AG

giggitygigem
Joni wants to play fast and this was a huge pickup. Fast and shifty lefty who can score at all three levels, pressure the rim and relishes the defensive side of the ball. I can see the all speed lineup of Tineya, Sol, Sahara, MJ, and Janiah working wonders as a change of pace at the end of the 3rd. I would say if you're bitter about losing Alexis Morris, you may have gotten her back right here.
aggiedrjdub
AG
giggitygigem said:

Joni wants to play fast and this was a huge pickup. Fast and shifty lefty who can score at all three levels, pressure the rim and relishes the defensive side of the ball. I can see the all speed lineup of Tineya, Sol, Sahara, MJ, and Janiah working wonders as a change of pace at the end of the 3rd. I would say if you're bitter about losing Alexis Morris, you may have gotten her back right here.

You see her starting from day 1? MJ over Jada or do you just mean when you need a faster lineup?
WBBALLFAN84
Summer and fall practice will dictate that. I think all 3 of our freshman have chances to get playing time next year. As far as starting, I'm not sure about that one yet but I wouldn't be surprised. We can always use more shooters out on the perimeter. We are 1 and 2 guard heavy at this moment, which leaves Joni lots of room for versatility. As i've said, I'll wait until the results of the portal are done and make my determinations
aggiedrjdub
AG
For sure. Got it. Just wonder where that leaves KayKay. She has a year of experience under her belt. I love the way Hylton plays, too. We have a solid core/team coming back plus the addition of 3 incoming freshmen. Do you think we have room to add from the portal? (Assuming Roby returns)?

We will have 10: Green, Hylton, Petticord. Kindred, Jones, Johnson, Malone, Roby, Barker, Bowles
Plus 3 freshmen: Marshall, Williams (holy handles I just watched her film), Moon)

That's 13 total already. How many do we usually roster?
giggitygigem
Yeah I said "as a change of pace at the end of the 3rd." I would assume the starting lineup to be largely the same with Janiah stepping into the starting 4 spot. As of right now I would assume the depth chart is

PG: KK, Tineya, Erica Moon
SG: Bowles, Money, Sol
SF: Sahara, Eriny, Kylie Marshall
PF: Janiah, MJ
C: Jada, Roby(should she decide to come back)

All that is subject to change in the summer, a few of those players have some positional versatility, but that's where I would assume it stands today, the portal opens in a few days so we'll see how that circus plays.
WBBALLFAN84
Giggity and aggiedrjdub, you all pose something I haven't thought of until now. The portal is 2-way, in and out. Does anyone think any current Lady Aggies will hit the portal for whatever reason.?
Kbeauty63
AG
giggitygigem said:

Yeah I said "as a change of pace at the end of the 3rd." I would assume the starting lineup to be largely the same with Janiah stepping into the starting 4 spot. As of right now I would assume the depth chart is

PG: KK, Tineya, Erica Moon
SG: Bowles, Money, Sol
SF: Sahara, Eriny, Kylie Marshall
PF: Janiah, MJ
C: Jada, Roby(should she decide to come back)

All that is subject to change in the summer, a few of those players have some positional versatility, but that's where I would assume it stands today, the portal opens in a few days so we'll see how that circus plays.
Sydney is coming back - I asked her!
aggiedrjdub
AG
WBBALLFAN84 said:

Giggity and aggiedrjdub, you all pose something I haven't thought of until now. The portal is 2-way, in and out. Does anyone think any current Lady Aggies will hit the portal for whatever reason.?

That's kind of why I was asking about roster size. I am wondering if we lose any as well. Glad to hear about Roby coming back!
giggitygigem
Anything could happen, some players may want to go to a more established program or have a different role, wouldn't fault them for that. On the other hand this staff has had success with transfers in the past. As of right now we're sitting at a 13 on the roster, when the dust settles I'd expect no less than 14 rostered.

Even with MJ and Roby returning you probably want a Patty replacement. Sahara was the most steady player we had this season, and Eriny showed a lot of what she could do when we were short handed, needs some coaching but is a great athlete. A 6'2"+ wing who can play and defend both forward spots is missing on the roster. The guard spots are pretty sewn up. KK earned her stripes and Tineya found some balance in the tournament. Bowles has shown flashes but needs to find consistency, her first 10 and last 10 were good but the 9 in the middle hurt us. Not sure if they view Money as a 1 or 2, her talent isn't is question, just needs a role. We're losing one guard in McKinzie and gaining three freshman guards with differing skillsets and added positional versatility. Sol can play both guard spots and Marshall can probably play the 2 and 3. Moon is a pure point who might redshirt.

This coaching staff has been around the block they know what this roster is missing to succeed and they'll try to get it.
aggiedrjdub
AG
When does the transfer portal open?
aggiedrjdub
AG
Fall sports: In the fall, a 45-day window beginning the day after championships selections are made in their sport; in the spring, May 1-15, except in football, when the spring window is April 15-30.

I think we may have one or two already exploring the portal..........
WBBALLFAN84
I believe the portal opens today, March 13 for women's basketball. It's open for 60 days.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yeah - that's what I'm seeing now. I think Petticord might be on the road. Hope not, but that's what it seems like.
Aggie1188
WBBALLFAN84 said:

It takes a year or two for Joni and Staff to make inroads in Texas. Kylie must have really liked Staff and committed, which will help going forward. I believe this young ladies sister plays at TCU also.
who are you talking about? Who is Kylie?
Aggie1188
Lake08 said:

aggiedrjdub said:

We are not on hers'
Sips have cleaned up in-state the last 2 or 3 years. Usually taking the top 2 or 3 girls in-state every time. Hopefully we get that changed.
Chapa96
AG
Aggie1188 said:

Lake08 said:

aggiedrjdub said:

We are not on hers'
Sips have cleaned up in-state the last 2 or 3 years. Usually taking the top 2 or 3 girls in-state every time. Hopefully we get that changed.
Didnt we just sign the #1 in state? I'd say things are changing......some...
Bucketrunner
Wouldn't surprise me to see some sips in the portal.
Rudybryan
Aggie1188 said:

Lake08 said:

aggiedrjdub said:

We are not on hers'
Was unimpressed when they played Louisville yesterday
Rudybryan
giggitygigem
There's already 1
aggiedrjdub
AG
Someone posted on Twitter, and I'll see if I can find it, but the point that they made is that the Xs and Os coaches are getting manhandled and beaten by the more athletic push and flow teams. Idk if this is true but it's an interesting observation. Will be curious to see how the tournament transpires from this point forward. Is Vic's style of play not fresh anymore for the athletes that want to play for coaches like Dawn, Yo, and Taylor?
WBBALLFAN84
I've seen that statement plenty of times. I think the fast paced push the ball teams produce more opportunities to score buckets, which is fun to watch. You also have to be able to run a half court offense when teams scout to take away transition buckets. This is where Staley, Yo and Mulkey's team excel, Staley to a higher degree. They have those long athletic girls that can switch any position, run the floor, and play lock down defense. Most teams game plan is to take Boston away, pack the paint and play zone defense. Here is where the X and Os come in to figure a way to score. People don't give Dawn enough credit for her Xs and Os because she has superior talent and athletes, the best of both worlds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.