Grandstanding

8 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by greg.w.h
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It takes very little time to vote. Kind of getting tired of the one-upmanship and grandstanding. Try some adulting, you can handle it without having a mandatory day off.

But I'm certain this will be met with applause in today's environment.

rugger74
AG
Can you make it "mandatory" the players vote, otherwise it is just a day off from team activities. People should find time to vote if they truly wish to participate in the process, especially with early voting options.
OlArmy
AG
Why is everyone obsessed with the "right" to vote. Voting is a RESPONSIBILITY of all citizens.
Do the Christian thing, BTHO Baylor!!!
greg.w.h
AG
Note the coach controls what the players do on that days. Unfortunately this is a form of virtue signaling we likely will just have to endure all the way to another wasteful federal holiday.

Trump said his administration needs to remove two regulations for every new one they write. Trade this for the other federal holidays and I think we give proper reverence to the voters' needs without harming them economically.

I'll note Texas A&M by tradition did not observe Labor Day for the longest...
Rudybryan
I am 76 yrs old......I have voted since I was 18 yrs old = that's 58 years ......
I always managed to get to the poles...I either got up early and went before work or
went during lunch or after work.........

My parents taught me it was my duty as a citizen to inform myself of the issues and to vote....

I served 6 years in the military preserving our rights as citizens to be free and able to vote

Study the issues.....make your decision .......and plan that day to allow you to vote......If you don't vote....then frankly don't complain.....you had your chance

PS remember there is early voting to - so you don't have to wait until the last minute

Rudybryan
Bucketrunner
Pretty sure we won't be renewing our season tickets. For darn sure won't be going to a luncheon to give respect to people who hate me because I don't give them enough adulation when I see them downtown.
Tzone
Rest assured, some are just going along to keep the peace, peer & institutional pressure, etc. The cancel culture does not allow for unpopular opinion. They will speak their peace at the ballot box.
Rudybryan
TZONE........This is a serious question. Where do you stand on kneeling during National Anthem? As an American US Army veteran I have a problem with it and there has been rumors goings around the athletes
are going to kneel. I say you have the right to your first amendment .....BUT so do I.....my feeling is all of us leave our politics at home or in the locker room. The court is where we play basketball
Tzone
Not for it. You don't have a right to protest in the workplace. Your employer has a right to fire you if you do.
Inca
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Pretty sure we won't be renewing our season tickets. For darn sure won't be going to a luncheon to give respect to people who hate me because I don't give them enough adulation when I see them downtown.

Can you give a context to this comment? Pretty sure I missed something.
Inca
AG
I also don't understand the uproar over Coach Starkey advocating for a day off so the girls and coaches can more easily go vote. Their schedules are pretty darn full.

If you have a problem, take it up with Coach Starkey instead of insinuating that our players can't "adult" to your satisfaction.
Gap
AG
If you need the day off to vote on election day, you simply are having trouble adulting. Pretty straight forward concept. The early voting period in Texas is almost two weeks and of course there is election day as well. Somehow adults have been able to figure this out without needing an entire day off to do so. The concept is pretty straight forward unless you think our young people are less intelligent that others and don't have the capacity to figure it out.
Inca
AG
I didn't realize coaches giving the team a day off affected people's lives so greatly. *shrug*

But you should definitely take it up with Coach Starkey since he's the one that tweeted it. Instead of coming on here and low key insulting people that had nothing to do with the tweet.
jvanbeek
AG
It doesn't take a full day to vote. Those with away games can easily vote absentee.
Jim VanBeek '85, '99
Expert Analysis
AG
Title of thread says it all. Social media has been full of it lately.

The whole vote thing is pretty amusing to me. People seem to think they can actually do something by voting. Pretty sure this is what the politicians want you to think, so you think you have some kind of power. In reality it is the same thing over and over. Race relations under Obama were no better than they are now. The media panders to viewers to drive certain agendas to generate stories. Cycle will continue no matter who is elected next.
greg.w.h
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Title of thread says it all. Social media has been full of it lately.

The whole vote thing is pretty amusing to me. People seem to think they can actually do something by voting. Pretty sure this is what the politicians want you to think, so you think you have some kind of power. In reality it is the same thing over and over. Race relations under Obama were no better than they are now. The media panders to viewers to drive certain agendas to generate stories. Cycle will continue no matter who is elected next.

Through the vote Trump won. QED
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.