Story Poster
Gary Blair
Mike Neighbors
Texas A&M Women's Basketball

Heartbreaking loss to Arkansas eliminates A&M from SEC tournament, 58-51

March 9, 2019

A downward fourth quarter plunge led the Aggies to a heartbreaking 58-51 loss to the Arkansas Razorbacks in Saturday’s semifinal round of the 2019 SEC tournament. After earning a double-bye and defeating sixth seeded Auburn, Texas A&M (24-7) was on the brink of avenging an earlier season loss to Mississippi State in Sunday’s conference championship, but the Aggies will instead be watching the finals from the couch rather than the bench.

Texas A&M drew blood first and had an incredible first half under the leadership of Ciera Johnson and N’dea Jones, together accounting for over 60% of the team’s total points in both the first half and the entire game. The Aggies limited turnovers and were able to capitalize on their scoring opportunities in what seemed at first like a blowout contest.

“What we didn’t do was execute our half-court offense from about the middle of the second quarter on.”
- Head Coach Gary Blair

Arkansas (20-13) played catch-up in the last few minutes of each period, but the guard-heavy Razorback squad was never able to pull away completely. That is, until the team made some adjustments.

Arkansas went from playing man defense to zone defense, and the new plan worked immediately. The Razorbacks cut their 16-point deficit in half and entered the third period down by just eight.

“What we didn’t do was execute our half-court offense from about the middle of the second quarter on,” said Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair. “They cut the lead down at the end of the first quarter, and they won or played even with us every quarter after that.”

For a majority of the game, the Aggies were aggressive on the boards and dominant in terms of inside scoring, as they out-rebounded the Razorbacks 36-32 and out-scored them 26-10 from inside the paint. However, a loss of momentum, 21 turnovers, and zero points off the bench meant that the Aggies were unable to put the game away.

The Razorbacks didn’t take the lead until just three minutes remained in the game, but once they did, they never looked back. Arkansas held Texas A&M to six points in the fourth period and closed the game on a 20-2 run to solidify their spot in the SEC championship.

Three Aggie sophomores reached double-digit figures. Ciera Johnson tallied 18 points and 11 rebounds while N’dea Jones scored 14 points and 14 rebounds. Kayla Wells also added 14 points in the game. Coming off two 31-point games in a row, Chelsea Dungee led the Razorbacks with 17 points.

“They made the threes down the stretch, and they got the offensive rebounds on long rebounds and hustle plays,” said Gary Blair. “Those are things that a championship team has to do to win, or it will cause you to lose.”

Texas A&M now awaits its fate for the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Selection Show takes place Monday, March 18 at 6 p.m. on ESPN.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO
Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! For the seventh consecutive year, all WBB content will be available to you for free!

Discussion from...

Heartbreaking loss to Arkansas eliminates A&M from SEC tournament, 58-51

7,265 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by trackaggie76
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Accurate article but headline should read: Ags Throw away Lead and Lose

Hearbreaking is when you don't see something coming. This one was telegraphed from the 2nd quarter.
Houstonag
AG
I did not see the game but the Blair comments at end were not very encouraging. I do not know what happened but turnovers are coachable and as well as the players. I hate turnovers because they are usually due to mental mistakes.
batdc
I hope they did not start thinking "if we win we have to face Miss ST again",
Rudybryan
Gee I wonder how the team even got this far listening to u 3
down heads - remember we were suppose to finish 7th
not #3

oklaunion
With all due respect because I know you put in a lot of time and effort on this forum but, are we supposed to have lower expectations of a team near the end of the season just because some unnamed panel decided last summer that we weren't going to finish well? After paying for season tickets since Gary arrived and going to all but one game this year at Reed and watching some pretty good ball, I was disappointed in the all around decision making during this very winnable game.
But at least we aren't Tennessee.
trackaggie76
AG
At the end of the day, Yes we should have won the Arky game and giving up a 17 point lead is extremely frustrating--however most likely we would have been throttled by MSU just like Arky. Those soul stealing beat downs are hard to forget (like when we played MSU at home).

Wearing my maroon tinted tri-focals...we need to recharge, get CC back and see how deep a run we can make in the big dance!

Gig 'em
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.