***** BTHO S. Carolina!! *****

4,437 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rudybryan
moriarty90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. Kennedy looked liked she didn't want to here tonight. Somethings wrong there
RG20
Wow.First time to watch Aggie Women in two years. Do they really only play 5 players? Kennedy wnt out in the 3rd for 30 seconds and other than that I don't recall another sub. Yikes.
czar_iv
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

That was one well deserved loss! Out played, out coached, out hustled, out everything!

Blair needs to retire ... he is like Bill Parcells in that he wants to prove that his protege wasn't the reason for his championship but everyone in the room knows different.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
jja79
AG
When a coach lets one player do whatever she wants and your bench players know they almost never play what good can come of that?
Sports-Ag
AG
Pretty much. Blair did this last year with his starters played pretty much 36+ minutes a game and have one person come off the bench.
Bucketrunner
Several of these girls were playing with the flu. Carter is recuperating from the flu. Jada couldn't even suit up she was so sick. If you've ever had the flu, then you should understand the issue.

I hope the Blair detractors aren't pitching for a particular replacement. You're going to be very disappointed.
biobioprof
Bucketrunner said:

Several of these girls were playing with the flu. Carter is recuperating from the flu. Jada couldn't even suit up she was so sick. If you've ever had the flu, then you should understand the issue.

I hope the Blair detractors aren't pitching for a particular replacement. You're going to be very disappointed.
Not to mention Wilson's knee surgery.
BQ_90
AG
Seems like every,year we start conference play with the team with the flu.

Also can we find some shoes that can stay on the players feet
Gap
AG
This isn't prior year's South Carolina team. RPI of 68 coming in instead of top 5. I'm really surprised we lost.

Our FG shooting:
Carter 3-19
Wells 4-17

And we scored 3 points in the entire last 8 minutes of the game. That is brutal.
jja79
AG
Everyone knows he isn't coming back. Everyone also knows this won't work.
Gap
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Will the replacement improve our recruiting?
Tzone
5 girls are sick. Heroic effort. Players play when they are trusted to play. Whittsett subbed for Jones and immediately got an offensive foul. You have to be ready to play......this game was lost on missed shots. Not coaching, not effort.
biobioprof
Gap said:

Bucketrunner said:

Will the replacement improve our recruiting?
Probably not, IMO. When the time comes, I hope I'm wrong.
Inca
AG
Tzone said:

5 girls are sick. Heroic effort. Players play when they are trusted to play. Whittsett subbed for Jones and immediately got an offensive foul. You have to be ready to play......this game was lost on missed shots. Not coaching, not effort.

1. Why doesn't the team get flu shots? Serious question.

2. You can't build any kind of rhythm if you get pulled after 10 seconds because you made a mistake. That is no way to build depth. She was a JUCO AA and hustles her butt off. I don't understand why she doesn't get playing time.

Our starters ran out of gas and are going to have dead legs before the season is over. Happens every damn season because Blair refuses to develop his bench. That is 100% coaching. It's his job to develop talent instead of letting them waste away sitting on the bench while he runs the starters into the ground. So frustrating.
Tzone
1. You can't force players to take flu shots. Most did.

2. Hustling does not equate to playing time. Hustling, knowing your assignments, and being ready to play does equate to playing time. if your first action on the court is a mental mistake, you're not ready to play. Juco AA means basically nothing in the SEC.

3. UCONN plays and wins with 6-7 players. Danni & Anriel leaving the program unexpectedly gives you Whittsett & Ellis. Danni may have lost her spot to Wilson or Wells is coming off of the bench with Jones and Washington. So, the bench was supposed to be comprised of Wells, Jones, Washington and Walton. Imagine that. Totally different dynamic and we're not having this conversation.
Kbeauty63
AG
Thank you for your insight Tzone. I personally don't get the flu shot (did once, got sick & swore never again). It seemed neither team was 'on' last night - the shooting was horrible. And FWIW anyone who comes to A&M to play for Coach Blair knows how he 'subs' and knows what their options are
greg.w.h
AG
Only the end of the game was disappointing. We slowed the pace of play and played deep into the play clock on roughly half our possessions. Dawn is an excellent coach, too, and did a damn good job. Their team found a way to win after being behind most of the game. Te'a Cooper remains a gem (and a pain the butt to us.)

Our team has significantly improved. They're running plays better and successfully getting the ball into others hands including bringing the ball across mid court and others distributing and letting Chennedy take defenders away from the ball.

Blair's teams get stronger. This was a miss but not a bad one. He has used the bench more when games are less close, but last night the game was very close and he tends to shorten the rotation when he feels he has to control the ball. It's worth noting we had 13 turnovers to their 16.

Finally: all but one of their starters played over 30 minutes each, too. These coaches respect each other. And we shot over twice as many fouls which made up quite a bit of the difference in shooting percentage on field goals.

A close to tournament quality team beat us. We were dealing with illness and came close. Frustrating but understandable.
Inca
AG
Stating the obvious and acknowledging that being sick makes a big difference: We are not UConn and Coach Blair is not Coach Auriemma.

Whittsett made a mental mistake but she was not alone; every player that played made a mental mistake. It happens. But Blair will be Blair and the bench will sit; a fact known all too well by the players that left the program but probably not obvious to wide-eyed recruits. In addition, few top recruits believe they will not start or will not get significant playing time; graduate transfers might be the exception.
dchack1971
AG
Been a supporter of the program for at least 11 years ( when I moved back to B/CS . Tired of watching this same pattern of coaching without positive results . Yes sickness played into last nights results but you see the same thing almost every game , players too tired to finish the game with strength and hustle needed to finish strong . This type of coaching and play does little to make you want to attend the games . This is very noticeable by the continuing decreasing crowd size.
Tzone
Yep, everyone makes mistakes. Everyone doesn't have the same leeway in making mistakes. I can tell you that no one is promised playing time, not even wide-eyed recruits.

I played over 30 years ago and one thing will never change is that if anyone promises anything more than the opportunity to play is not operating in the best interests of the player. Rakell Spencer transferred to LSU. She is playing 6 minutes a game AFTER a redshirt year. Coach was honest with her in telling her that it would be really tough for her to see the floor last season. She could've taken the challenge and proved him wrong, but transferred instead as is her right to do. This is a young team, not many kids today will jump to sign on for tough competition to earn playing time.
Rudybryan
answer to your questions

1) In the early 60's i wasin the US Army Medical Corp
when I was shipped overseas to Germany I was given 22
shots ... when I got out of the service I vowed I would never be anybody elses damn lab rat.....I am 74 and I never take a flu shot and guess what Inhave never had the flu Now my Mother took shot every year because her doctor told her too in 2016 at age of 93 she died of a reaction to that year's flu vaccine.

2) I love her energy to but Junco AA doesn't mean a damn thing nor does running up and down the court if you don't realize where you belong in the play.....every player has a position to play.....

Gary has always used offensive specific plays ..... for you doubters Vic still using Garys offensive plays.....in order for them to work u hv to hv a point guard that knows that playbook and can run them.....we are limited here.....who can run point

Here's a bonus thought- for a shooter to shoot - they need their legs. These kids were giving their all last night but phyiscally the damn flu makes them weak saps their strength, we could not ask anymore than they gave.

And guess what the flu drags on for a couple weeks so buckle your seat belt this ride might not be over.

I love this game and I'll b with the best of them but all I want now is for thenkids to get well. Their health is worth more than the game.
Rudybryan
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Really - only our second loss since Carter didn't play in our second loss . No need to commit hari

kari ! Wells was off, also, after shooting so well ( no pun intended ) the last few games.

Obviously, Carter was rusty after missing two weeks for her injury and the flu - she showed none of her

usual exuberance . The team will be back !

aggieFann
Looking at the box score, we had three starters shoot at or below .250 (Wells,Carter, and Jones) and to see we were up almost the entire game is a good positive going forward. Obviously we can't have starters shooting that low every game, but hopefully everyone gets well. As a team, we still have a long way to go in the consistency department but I'm still remaining optimistic.
Tzone
Box scores from our game and Baylor vs UConn. Gives you a visual on bench play. 2 MAA for UConn played a total of 9 minutes. Nelson-Ogda was the #1 player for 2018. Baylor played 2 a total of 15 minutes. One of them getting 15 minutes which means the second player played less than one minute. Does the same complaints about bench, development and wide eyed recruits apply to Kim & Gino?
https://12thman.com/documents/2019/1/3/tamu14.pdf
https://uconnhuskies.com/documents/2019/1/4//12_Baylor_Box.pdf
Inca
AG
One box score is but a moment in time. I do not know the history of how players (both bench and starters) are developed (skills and conditioning) under the UConn or Baylor programs and thus the extent to which more or less playing time is warranted. However, I am aware of Blair's history and the players he has recruited (wide eyed or not). Yes, there will be games when the bench plays less (tight games, conference games, 4th quarter, etc) but running your starters (sick or healthy) into the ground is never a good thing. This also applies to both UCONN and Baylor.
MUAG
Try to only lurk, but as others have indicated Blair is a very good coach and has been very good for A&M. But what keeps him from being a great coach is the lack of developing and playing bench players when indicated. This not only hurts bench players, but starters as well. Starters can not play their best when wore out/sick,etc.
After losing tournament game in 2015 a player's father told me that Courntey Walker [our best player] was wore out, hated backetball and wanted the season over. Still the NCAA tournament to go. Those of us that have watched nearly all the Blair coached games could give several examples of games lead and lost late due to wore out players.
Anther thing said was players have to be mentally tough and come in and not make mistakes right off. That is wrong from the stand point that when bench players finally get in a game they are often so amped up that imediately make a mistake and get jerked right back to the bench. Not left in to settle down and play like they are capable. Being jerked so fast sure doesn't help the bench player or the starter that was taken out due to being wore out/playing badly.
If I was faster at posting would give lots of examples of why several of us that have seen nearly all Blair coached game feel he could do better with bench players,
MUAG
Rudybryan
Tzone said:

Box scores from our game and Baylor vs UConn. Gives you a visual on bench play. 2 MAA for UConn played a total of 9 minutes. Nelson-Ogda was the #1 player for 2018. Baylor played 2 a total of 15 minutes. One of them getting 15 minutes which means the second player played less than one minute. Does the same complaints about bench, development and wide eyed recruits apply to Kim & Gino?
https://12thman.com/documents/2019/1/3/tamu14.pdf
https://uconnhuskies.com/documents/2019/1/4//12_Baylor_Box.pdf

Tzone......love you.....tunnel vision exist here ,,,,,,,just like here's history...
Kim had the most talented post guard I forgot her name she's in WNBA and tallest player ( 6'8") in NCAA in Griner,,,,everyone including her thought she would get 4 NC - well she got 1 (2012) - though Griner set
many many records including points scored, blocks shots etc.

In the last 20 yrs the only 7 coaches that have won a national championship is
Geno, Pat, Muffet, Kim, Brenda F, Dawn and Gary......that's 7 coaches who hv won a NC
so you want to fire a coach and hire one that will win NC......who do you hire......the closet I have seen lately is Vic he was hired in 2012 so he is 6 yrs into his program...FOLKS it is not as easy as you think. Gary missed his first one in 2008 - that should have been our year. Kim came up short 2010,2011,2013......Vic came up short 2017, 2018..........

Rudybryan
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.