Gary Blair - top WBB coach in Texas

1,343 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Thymes
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thymes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas A&M's Blair And Bond-White Honored As Season's Top Women's College Coach And Assistant In The State Of Texas

Texas A&M women's basketball head coach Gary Blair was named Texas Coach of the Year by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches, and Aggie associate head coach Kelly Bond-White was named Texas Assistant Coach of the Year, as the TABC presented their annual awards Thursday.

"I am honored to be recognized by other coaches, not just for what we have done this year, but for our 13-year run of consistency," said Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair. "I am very proud of Kelly Bond-White, who is getting the proper recognition for what she has done for not just our program, but the game of women's basketball. She is an excellent teacher, communicator and leader, and is very deserving of the award."

Blair is receiving the award as the top women's basketball head coach in the state for the fifth time, having also received the award in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011. Blair guided the Aggies to their 13th straight NCAA Tournament appearance, and the seventh Sweet 16 in program history, posting a 26-10 record.

Blair is the SEC's active leader or co-leader in career wins, SEC wins, 20+ win seasons, NCAA Tournament appearances, Women's Final Four appearances and National Championships. He ranks seventh among active coaches with 765 career wins, 357 of which have come at Texas A&M.

"I am honored, humbled, and blessed to receive this award," said Bond-White. "I am grateful to be on my journey in this profession, and receive this honor, next to Coach Blair, who has set the blueprint and standard of excellence for so many. We have an phenomenal group of young ladies that our amazing coaching staff gets to help develop on the court and in life, which is the reason I started and continue in the amazing profession."

Bond-White is a first-time recipient of the TABC Assistant Coach of the Year Award, which is only in its second year of existence. In addition to playing a major role in the team's success, Bond-White was responsible for coaching Texas A&M's point guards in 2017-18, helping Chennedy Carter to unanimous National Freshman of the Year honors and AP All-America honors.

Bond-White has been a member of Blair's staff for 18 seasons, and has been a part of 429 wins and 16 NCAA Tournament appearances as a college assistant and associate coach. A reputation as a phenomenal recruiter, she helped reel in the No. 2 recruiting class in the nation in 2012 and again with the No. 8 recruiting class in 2017.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.