TexAgs Staff ... what's up with the Anriel situation

12,852 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Moderator
rrtodds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't listened to much of TexAgs radio Monday-Tuesday, but there has been no banner story about Anriel leaving. Only today is the KTBX story from Sunday night posted. The only other info is coming from the two treads on this forum.

Is losing our best player that easy to ignore or is coverage coming soon?
Thymes
http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/texas-a-m-s-anriel-howard-exploring-options-for-senior/article_8a3ff92e-3634-11e8-899c-974da2b5d03e.html
Sleepnumber
AG
Anriel is straight and feels she has been overly-harrased by others on the team. This is the issue. And please don't shoot the messenger.
Belton Ag
AG
Interesting. That is the exact same reason given for the sudden "retirement" and transfer of Alexia Standish and Peyton Little in the last few years.
Inca
AG
Let's not forget that Standish transferred to TCU and then quit that team in the middle of the season too.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Shouldn't the coaching staff step in and prevent such situations?
cedar
It's why Peyton Little left and it's ridiculous that something isn't done about it.
Thymes
saray said:

Anriel is straight and feels she has been overly-harrased by others on the team. This is the issue. And please don't shoot the messenger.
Not shooting the messenger, but would you mind saying something about the source of your information?
Aggie1205
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Other than anonymously posted on here, what evidence is there that it's legit?
Inca
AG
There are NO players left from when Peyton Little played here.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Absolutely none and I am not taking out the pitchforks against Gary or staff. But, if the situation the poster described did arise, I hope, expect, and believe that the staff would step in. I'd be very surprised if they didn't once they were aware of the situation, which is why I am highly skeptical.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
saray said:

Anriel is straight and feels she has been overly-harrased by others on the team. This is the issue.
Good grief, whatever happened to boundaries?
Tzone
Ummmm, that's a new one based on what I know, which is I knew about this for a couple of months. It's basketball related.
Sleepnumber
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Aggie1205 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Absolutely none and I am not taking out the pitchforks against Gary or staff. But, if the situation the poster described did arise, I hope, expect, and believe that the staff would step in. I'd be very surprised if they didn't once they were aware of the situation.
I was told by members of the AD's office and by 12th Man executives. Whether you like this or not---agree or disagree---it should not be a surprise.
biobioprof
saray said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Aggie1205 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Absolutely none and I am not taking out the pitchforks against Gary or staff. But, if the situation the poster described did arise, I hope, expect, and believe that the staff would step in. I'd be very surprised if they didn't once they were aware of the situation.
I was told by members of the AD's office and by 12th Man executives. Whether you like this or not---agree or disagree---it should not be a surprise.
The problem, of course, is that there is no way to know whether you're telling the truth. If true, I wouldn't be happy about other people in the ADs office or the TMF gossiping about it. Seems like it would be a violation of Anriel's privacy unless she wanted others to know.

So, I hope you're trolling.
Thymes
When you got this inside information, did those who provided it know you were going to put it on line?

From time to time, I'll also hear some sensitive information. Usually, the one who tells me precedes it with: "Now, just between you and me . . . "
rgleml
AG
If this is true, then the offender(s) should be kicked off the team. At the very least they should be suspended for harassment of another player.
biobioprof
rgleml said:

If this is true, then the offender(s) should be kicked off the team. At the very least they should be suspended for harassment of another player.
Aside from not knowing if ANY of it is true, the nature of the conduct being alleged is far from clear. So we don't even know what the "this" is which may or may not be true at all.

Strictly hypothetically, it could be a variation on the Candice Wiggins story with the WNBA. It could be a situation like Tom Delay talking about A&M back in 2002:
Quote:

"You know, Texas A&M used to be a conservative university. It's lost all of its conservatism and it's renounced its traditions. It's really sad. My daughter went there, you know; she had horrible experiences with co-ed dorms and guys who spent the weekends in the rooms with girls, and all this kind of stuff went on there. It's just unbelievable."
Or it could be that saray was really told something by the people cited, and someone in their gossip chain made it up out of whole cloth because they have some sort of grudge against Blair. Or they're projecting their own homophobia onto the team.

etc. etc. etc. with many of the possibilities not being mutually exclusive.

What's the saying? Judge not...
soso33
Which is exactly why this thread should be nuked from existence. Don't post rumors and hearsay, folks.
Thymes
I have a hard time believing that a veteran player like Lashes, one with such a powerful personality, would need any help -- or be intimidated by -- unwanted advances by members of either sex.

You really don't want to get crossways with Anriel Howard, do you? I think you'd get five fingers across the face.

My inclination is that this story is bovine scatology.
Inca
AG
Again, there are NO players currently on the roster that were here when Peyton Little was here.
waltonloads11
AG
Inca said:

Again, there are NO players currently on the roster that were here when Peyton Little was here.
I'm not sure what is true or not, but that doesn't mean the locker room culture of harassment was there or not. Once a culture is established, it is hard to shake off.

I am hoping Anriel is transferring to be closer to a boyfriend or she doesn't like the spotlight being on a freshman or some other reason.
CBEYOND
Ok... if an administrator, staff, Coach or any person in a leadership position LIED and said she's transferring because of being harassed I'd find that hard to believe. Anriel has not been harassed and cherishes her teammates. She has a bf and her teammates respect her. With that being said, she holds NOTHING AGAINST her teammates.
CBEYOND
You are exactly right.
Inca
AG
I wish TexAgs staff would clean up this thread!
biobioprof
Inca said:

I wish TexAgs staff would clean up this thread!
I've been wondering what the appropriate flag would be. I usually don't flag anything, although I admit that I used to flag some of the posts about a player who played for a former rival.
Inca
AG
On my phone there is just a flag option without the categories. I did flag quite a few posts. I would just pick a category that makes the most sense.
Staff
Removing this thread would need to be based on something more than what we've seen so far. IF, for the sake of discussion (and remember this forum exists for the purpose of discussion), our Football QB1 was entertaining a transfer option out of our program -- do you suppose we would shut down threads speculating on why that was happening? We allow posters to discuss this sort of thing -- the Murray/Allen years proved as much.
biobioprof
Moderator said:

Removing this thread would need to be based on something more than what we've seen so far. IF, for the sake of discussion (and remember this forum exists for the purpose of discussion), our Football QB1 was entertaining a transfer option out of our program -- do you suppose we would shut down threads speculating on why that was happening? We allow posters to discuss this sort of thing -- the Murray/Allen years proved as much.
I avoided a lot of the Murray/Allen threads on the Zoo, but it seems to me that there is a difference between speculating about reasons for transfers and dropping allegations of sexual harassment toward other members of the team that are disconnected to verifiable news items (e.g. the Kirk Merritt situation).

Yeah, I know there are the "Craig James killed 5 hookers at SMU" posts, but those are just tacky humor.

Your call, of course, but I think there's a difference.
Thymes
Moderator said:

Staff: Did the Murray/Allen controversy include unsubstantiated allegations of homosexual harassment of a straight player by gay teammates?

As I see it, you indeed have "something more."

Belton Ag
AG
I'd like to clarify my initial response a bit. I don't necessarily believe the rumor, it's somewhat plausible I guess but not really worth serious speculation.

I thought it was interesting that this same exact rumor continues to pop up when we see transfers out of the program, which is why I mentioned the two previous transfers. I don't know what that says about us or the program, but it was noteworthy to me.

I will say that, knowing what I know about our administration and being somewhat close to one of our women's programs on campus and getting a glimpse behind the scenes, I'd be shocked that anyone officially connected to the athletic department or 12th Man Foundation would talk about this.
biobioprof
Belton Ag said:

I'd like to clarify my initial response a bit. I don't necessarily believe the rumor, it's somewhat plausible I guess but not really worth serious speculation.

I thought it was interesting that this same exact rumor continues to pop up when we see transfers out of the program, which is why I mentioned the two previous transfers. I don't know what that says about us or the program, but it was noteworthy to me.

I will say that, knowing what I know about our administration and being somewhat close to one of our women's programs on campus and getting a glimpse behind the scenes, I'd be shocked that anyone officially connected to the athletic department or 12th Man Foundation would talk about this.
I don't recall this specific kind of rumor during the Standish and Little transfers, which have been mentioned in the thread. I do remember hearing rumors about cliques on the team based on race, and speculations based on "why are the white girls transferring?" I found it plausible that the cliques existed and affected chemistry. My sense is that if that was a problem, the team grew out of it for the most part. But in those cases it still seemed to me that the obvious reasons were basketball reasons: disagreements about the player's role on the team.

But let's grant that this exact same rumor continues to pop up in our program under Blair. What does it say about us or our program? Since staff is giving the green light to speculation, I'd venture that it says we have at least one major recruiting rival with an interest in promoting this kind of rumor to parents of recruits. And we have a subset of our community that is culturally susceptible to the idea of some sort of gay conspiracy in women's sports.

I'm not putting you in that group, Belton. Don't know you well enough. But there's also a chain reaction effect that can lead us to wonder about FUD after it's been passed through a long enough chain to come from someone who we think is credible.

It's also important to remember that harassment can mean anything from sexual assault to "hostile environment"... and the latter can be very subjective. There are some on the politics board who probably think being openly gay among your teammates is "pushing the gay agenda in your face" ... that seems to have been close to the policy at Baylor when Griner was there. And even if Anriel shares none of that worldview, there are some who are connecting dots that may not be there based on the syllogism: 1) Don't understand how Anriel could want to leave 2) As a straight person I don't like how Blair handles gay players 3) Anriel is straight, therefore Anriel's reasons = my problems with Blair, QED.
Thymes
[url=https://flic.kr/p/25RVcVu][/url]

Here's where some of this may have originated.

The day after Standish quite the team, Gary told the media that she had become discouraged by injuries, and had thus lost her enthusiasm for the game.

That night Standish unleased a social media storm. This was one example.

What in the world did she mean when she said: "The life I have been living in this basketball program is not one that reflects my beliefs and morals?" It sounds like she was doing something voluntarily.

What? Stealing hubcaps?

Some people manufactured another answer.

As bibbioprof said:

Quote:

I'd venture that it says we have at least one major recruiting rival with an interest in promoting this kind of rumor to parents of recruits. And we have a subset of our community that is culturally susceptible to the idea of some sort of gay conspiracy in women's sports.

Nailed it!
greg.w.h
AG
I think rumors are gossip and ought to be avoided. Anyone who is a believer in Jesus Christ ought to be similarly inclined. How's that for discussions on inclinations??

As anyone who pieces this together might have noticed, Anriel is a favorite of mine along with her nickname. It's been fun to have her here and if she returns I'll relish watching her more. I hope she makes any decision with an eye on the things that truly matter the most. But even if she chooses for truly personal reasons like Standish seemed to (also had a boyfriend at TCU), that fans support her decision regardless. Putting pressure on athletes because we did something for them is a terrible look for Aggie fans.
greg.w.h
AG
11 edits...outstanding!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.