***** BTHO LSU!!! *****

4,606 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by biobioprof
Houstonag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Horrible game on D. Why????
Gap
AG
LSU by 8

1:23 to go
Gap
AG
Danni hits a 3 to cut it to 74-69 with 1:12 to go.
biobioprof
On my TV it looks like home cooking from these refs too. Not why we're behind, but annoying.
Houstonag
AG
I agree with home cooking. Obvious.
Gap
AG
LSU by 3 and with the ball. 25 seconds to go.
Gap
AG
Danni with a 3. LSU leads 79-78 with 16 seconds to go.
Sharpshooter
AG
Gap said:

Danni with a 3. LSU leads 79-78 with 16 seconds to go.
Keep the play by play going.
Gap
AG
LSU makes 1 of 2 free throws. We go down for final possession down by 2 points. Carter misses a 3. LSU wins 80-78.
Sharpshooter
AG
Bummer
biobioprof
ugh.
Houstonag
AG
Not a good loss when this game was winnable with a little perimeter D. Too many open shots. No aggressive closing on the shooter.
BanderaAg956
Great chance to get to a tie for second at 9-3 but it doesn't happen.
biobioprof
Carter's double digit streak ends.
oklaunion
They tried to give it to us but we weren't receptive.
mullokmotx
AG
Only went to the free throw line 10 times. Out rebounded them by 10. Those 3 straight charging calls were really big. Not sure what Carter did today to help her team win.
BanderaAg956
Not sure why we wanted Carter to shoot the final shot. I would have gone to Williams.
Chomp214
AG
Agree Williams should have taken the last shot,. Not sure I would have played Carter any in the second 1/2. Aggies seem to have a real problem getting the performance expected from 5 star recruits--ie, Kyler M. and Carter.
monarch
S
Well poop
Peace for Ukraine!
biobioprof
Videoman said:

Agree Williams should have taken the last shot,. Not sure I would have played Carter any in the second 1/2. Aggies seem to have a real problem getting the performance expected from 5 star recruits--ie, Kyler M. and Carter.
Whoa! She had a bad game.

But to compare her to Kyler is way too far, IMO.
Rambotx
This game was winnable with a concentrated Team effort on defense. Also, our defensive play is very predictable with little or no man to man option to cause the other team to make adjustments.
coldmoose
There are times when things seem good. Then there are games like this one.
Bummer.

To make it worse, it is a loss to LSU.
Absolutely HATE to lose to LSU in ANYTHING.
Flash02
We are playing much better basketball now. Lots of games left before the NCAA. Came out flat and it catches up to you. Clearly we are the better team. Trust coach Blair. He'll get it done. We'll probably host round 1&2.
aggieFann
Didn't get to watch the game but from looking at the box score it seems that turnovers and fouls made the difference. They had 5 turnovers to our 14 and just about every starter for us had 4 fouls. We shot 57% from the field to their 53%. So yes this is a tough lost but I can't say that I didn't see this coming. We struggle with teams with good guard play (e.g., Georgia, Oregon, WV)
Nixter
AG
Videoman said:

You serious, Clark?

This team goes to the NIT without Carter. Right now, as a freshman, she's good enough to have been a starter (and impact player) on our Natty team.
Chomp214
AG
To be clear, I am not disappointed that we have Carter on the team and I suggest that down the road she could develop into a good "team player". This season she has had spurts of great shooting and giving out assists and helped the Ags win a game or so that they might not have won without her. However, last night the team truly played better ball when she was on the bench---happens to lots of great players. As Coach Blair has said, Carter can score a lot of points and do really good things but she alone is not going to outscore the opponents with just her points and she has to get everyone involved in the offense---if you watched all the games, as I have, you know that there are times she 'takes over' and tries to do too much. I will continue to pull for Carter and all the Ags to win the games and advance into the playoffs.
I agree comparing Carter to "slide" was not fair.
Thymes
aggieFann said:

Didn't get to watch the game but from looking at the box score it seems that turnovers and fouls made the difference. They had 5 turnovers to our 14 and just about every starter for us had 4 fouls. We shot 57% from the field to their 53%. So yes this is a tough lost but I can't say that I didn't see this coming. We struggle with teams with good guard play (e.g., Georgia, Oregon, WV)

Points off of turnovers: LSU 18, A&M 4
BanderaAg956
Carter can learn to be a better team player and she can learn to be a better at getting others involved in the offense consistently. However, yesterday she just wasn't on as a shooter and wasn't getting her teammates involved. Like many shooters, she just had a bad game. That is why I would have chosen Danni to shoot the last shot!
Wicked Good Ag
After watching the South Florida Ohio State game yesterday in spurts I would say I don't want to face South Florida in the second round
biobioprof
drevans956 said:

Carter can learn to be a better team player and she can learn to be a better at getting others involved in the offense consistently. However, yesterday she just wasn't on as a shooter and wasn't getting her teammates involved. Like many shooters, she just had a bad game. That is why I would have chosen Danni to shoot the last shot!
Danni's two late 3s both came off assists from Carter, who drew the D and found Danni in the corner.

I don't think anyone, including Carter, drew up her taking the shot she did. I went back and rewatched the end. I'm assuming that the lack of timeouts only meant that we couldn't advance the inbounds and that the team did in fact draw something up during the video review of the blown pass from LSU. But that also allowed LSU to discuss how they were going to defend. LSU pressured the ball and forced her to bring it up the left side, dribbling at full speed with her left hand. LSU was pretty aggressive in defending her.

I think that a foul could have been called as Carter is crossing into the front court. It wouldn't have helped us, though, because I only count 3 LSU fouls in the quarter so it wouldn't have been a shooting foul. In any case, Carter almost lost the ball on the sideline. She ends up having to reach back to recover it and by the time she recovered it was too late to get the ball to Danni, who was spotting up on the right side.

For me, what was subpar in Carter's game were things that happened before that last attempt at a comeback. First, there was the foul trouble, which struck me as coming on fouls that were not even close to being "good fouls". Then in the 4th, when they opened up the key margin, I thought she was impatient a couple of times and at least one miss led to a transition bucket for LSU. Then she blew the layup that I noted during the game. We're used to her making those, but my years of watching Aggie WBB is full of other players blowing layups like that.

Getting that last shot opportunity at all was a major gift from LSU. All they had to do to run out the clock was get it inbounds. We would have had to foul and there would have been even less time left. The biggest play at the end was the held ball that gave it back to them on the previous possession. I rewatched that and I'd love to hear Coach discuss whether that's on Khaalia or if there was some other error that allowed that guard to come all the way around from behind and grab at the ball. If Khaalia knew that was coming, Jaz was wide open for a layup.
Thymes
She's only a freshman.
aggieFann
We just have to take better care of the ball and defend without fouling and that's a totally different ballgame.
cs69ag
AG
Carters first 3 fouls were all poor plays by her being out of position, and instead
of moving her feet, she reached and was correctly charged with fouls. She has to
understand she does not help the team much from the bench.
biobioprof
cs69ag said:

Carters first 3 fouls were all poor plays by her being out of position, and instead
of moving her feet, she reached and was correctly charged with fouls. She has to
understand she does not help the team much from the bench.
I think of the kind of foul you're describing as where a defender isn't moving their feet and reaches in as the player they're guarding goes by them on a drive. Carter does stand more upright than I'd like to see on D, but that didn't fit my memory of these specific fouls, so I went back and rewatched them

Foul #1: 5:52 Q1: Carter goes for a steal by lunging across in front of Ayana Mitchell.
Foul #2: 8:50 Q2: Carter leaves her man to double team on Louis, who is attacking Jaz on a drive out of the corner. She reaches in and is called.
Foul #3: 0:01 Q2 Carter turnover leads to a fast break. Carter fouls Louis from behind in transition
Foul #4: 0:48.6 Q3 Carter fouls Jackson on a jump shot

I think those - esp the first two - were more "trying to do too much" fouls than "not moving her feet" fouls. On foul 4, she's moving her feet but is giving too much ground because she's worried about getting beaten on a drive. She's conceded the J by doing that, but goes for the Robert Williams block and fouls. On #3 she's trying to catch up from behind the play after the turnover.

I thought Danni's intentional was a better fit for the kind of foul you're describing.

Edit to add: all of Carter's looked to be correctly called by the refs to me, and they did reflect poor judgements IMO.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.