***** BTHO Rice !!!! *****

5,296 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BanderaAg956
aggietoolman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
70-66 Ags. 3:44

aggietoolman
AG
76-69 Ags.1:03
aggieFann
Way to go Anriel!!! 1 minute to go let's grind it out
aggietoolman
AG
82-76 Ags. Final
aggie67,74&76
aggieFann
We have a lot to work on from defending the three to adjusting to playing offense against a packed zone but nevertheless we won after a short turnaround. I still wish there was more movement in our offense. There's way too much standing around.
biobioprof
interesting comments from Kelly about defense in the post game. Wish I understood more about what she was saying about switches in the zone.
mullokmotx
AG
Media Guide has the Reed Arena record for made 3 pointers by one team at 11 which has happened 5 times, twice by us and 3 times by the other team, so Rice blew that away. Good shooting by Jada when she was in there.
mullokag
aggieFann
biobioprof said:

Ginteresting comments from Kelly about defense in the post game. Wish I understood more about what she was saying about switches in the zone.
I'll listen and see what she said
aggieFann
aggieFann said:

biobioprof said:

YGinteresting comments from Kelly about defense in the post game. Wish I understood more about what she was saying about switches in the zone.
I didn't get to hear Kelly but I just listened to Coach Blair, Danni, and Anriel. That was probably the fastest I ever heard Blair talk but you can tell he was frustrated. He did say that he has to recruit tomorriwvabs Friday so it sounds like there will only be one day of practice for a #11 WV.
cs69ag
AG
Rice played like Oregon and how the better teams play on offense....
motion, good passing, screen setting, 3 point shots, and back door plays for layups....a little more size and a couple more talented players and they would be like Oregon.

None of our wins are vs top 50 teams. We do it with size and talent, not with our offense.
GB has to work too hard during the game calling out the plays to his team and trying to get them in the correct positions.
Even the seniors still don't have it down. Must be too complex. Seems like a lot of standing around and confusion on many of the called plays. Seems to offset the talent we have and just making plays that are there with the talent we have.

I love watching the other coaches watch their team run their offense that they have been coached on prior to the game.
cs69ag
AG
Colson no longer at Rice and is currently concentrating on playing.
Recently, GB said Syd was close to becoming a starting point guard in the WNBA
Houstonag
AG
This game is an example of why we are not competing for nc on regular basis.
dlbarnes76
AG
A lot of rough spots to work out, but no lack of talent on this team. Really like the touch Jada Walton shows shooting the ball. I expect to see more of her as the season goes on and she gets more comfortable with the college game.
hsvag
I have often wondered how our team would perform in a real motion offense. You'd like a more active post player for that but I have to think we would thrive. It would seem we would get more balanced contributions, rather than relying on the stars to create shots. Williams runs her tail off around screens the whole game to try to get open. Equal or greater talent (which we have) in a more efficient offense, that would be fun to watch.
aggieFann
hsvag said:

I have often wondered how our team would perform in a real motion offense. You'd like a more active post player for that but I have to think we would thrive. It would seem we would get more balanced contributions, rather than relying on the stars to create shots. Williams runs her tail off around screens the whole game to try to get open. Equal or greater talent (which we have) in a more efficient offense, that would be fun to watch.
Yeah we would have to have a more active post to do this but it would be fun to watch. From preseason interviews, i gathered Hillsman had worked more on a midrange so It would be good to see her move around more and be more versatile so teams won't just pack the paint.

Highlights from last night:
cs69ag
AG
Yes...we have talent...that is how we win 75% of the games. Most teams we play are over matched talent wise and size wise. 4 starters are from out of state. bu and t.u. getting most of the Texas talent. It is when we play other power 5 conf teams that have resources and recruiting and coaching too where we struggle.
The top teams run motion and use their talent to their advantage!
biobioprof
aggieFann said:

aggieFann said:

biobioprof said:

interesting comments from Kelly about defense in the post game. Wish I understood more about what she was saying about switches in the zone.
I didn't get to hear Kelly but I just listened to Coach Blair, Danni, and Anriel. That was probably the fastest I ever heard Blair talk but you can tell he was frustrated. He did say that he has to recruit tomorriwvabs Friday so it sounds like there will only be one day of practice for a #11 WV.
I was referring to her post-game with the radio guys. We usually leave Reed quickly to get to the car and hear the interviews... it's a habit we started when Vic would do them... they aren't the same without "Praise the Lord and Gig 'Em" but I still think it can be somewhat informative despite the limits on the kinds of questions (I don't expect our announcers to ask what was going on when Carter was benched, for example).

Kelly was talking about how to defend the 3 point shot in the zone. She said we were doing something "flat" vs "angled" where the latter is what you want. She said Lulu was the only one doing it right in the second quarter.

I was wishing for a diagram.
aggieFann
biobioprof said:

aggieFann said:

aggieFann said:

biobioprof said:

I was referring to her post-game with the radio guys. We usually leave Reed quickly to get to the car and hear the interviews... it's a habit we started when Vic would do them... they aren't the same without "Praise the Lord and Gig 'Em" but I still think it can be somewhat informative despite the limits on the kinds of questions (I don't expect our announcers to ask what was going on when Carter was benched, for example).

Kelly was talking about how to defend the 3 point shot in the zone. She said we were doing something "flat" vs "angled" where the latter is what you want. She said Lulu was the only one doing it right in the second quarter.

I was wishing for a diagram.
The only thing I can think of is when you're switching on the outside when playing defense . But they have more information here at this site and diagrams if you're interested in learning more about it:
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MatchUpZone.html
trackaggie76
AG
Tremendous potential with Carter however I think there will be some growing pains--until she executes the way GB demands. I really enjoy watching her play, especially in the 4th quarter!
cs69ag
AG
Blair hard on point guards. Yanked Carter out early in first half.
Looked like she was sulking with towel over her head
She was slow to return from the locker room at the half,
and sat on bench some more till GB saw Rice closing the gap, and he sent her in.

She would thrive in a motion offense!
BanderaAg956
We have great talent against top 50-100 teams but when we play top 20 teams we lack the talent.

So, we don't have the talent or depth we need. Great Texas talent available but Blair can't seem to get them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.