Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Emotional Stock Picks

2,271 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Brian Earl Spilner
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Admit it, we've all done it. Bought a stock for sentimental, emotional, or silly reasons. Not because of what you found in due diligence, not on fundamentals, and not for an attractive chart pattern. Sometimes, you just fat-fingered a stock quote, and came across something else. Sometimes, it's because the stock symbol sounded cool. How did it work out for you? I'll start:

GIGM - found it accidentally, as an Aggie, I was amused by their stock symbol, and bought some on a lark. Sold a few months later at a decent loss.

DXCM - my aging dad is diabetic, and the Dexcom device has improved his life. Their stock is down 40% today on a revenue miss, so I said what the heck and did a buy/write. My brother thinks it's a takeover candidate for someone with better technology, but I've done no analysis whatsoever. We'll see how it goes.

PK - Park Hotels, a REIT. I know a guy who was on their board of directors, so I bought it (when they were spun off of Hilton(?) years ago, without any analysis. Sold for a pretty good gain.
Josepi
AG
I bought my kid 1 share of EA Sports because he loves all of their games. It's been decent, and is up around 13%, but he's convinced it's going to the moon after releasing College Football.
one safe place
Part carelessness, part emotional. I was doing a tax return when working for another CPA, was in my 30s, and this client had made like $60,000 in the market that year, which was a lot back then. When he came to pick up the return, I mentioned his gains and he and I had a talk about it and he recommended a stock called "Worlds of Wonder" who had the talking doll thing, Teddy Ruxpin. My daughter had a Teddy Ruxpin doll. The stock was down significantly from where he bought it.

He told me that he had heard they were going to cut a deal with Sesame Street, and make talking dolls of all their characters. My daughter loved Sesame Street, lol. Without doing much research beyond this conversation, I bought 100 shares at $12 or $14. When it went down to $8 or $9, I bought a couple hundred more. When it hit $4 or $6, I bought a couple hundred more and then bought 400 (I think it was) when it fell even more. I dollar cost averaged it to nothing, lol. These prices are from memory and might be a little off.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I wasn't aware of anything out there that is better technology than the DexCom. Type 1 here and I've been using it now for about seven years. If there's something better out there, I've not heard of it.
cslifer
My boy did the same thing in his fidelity youth account. It has lead to a good discussion about earnings and how it may be a bit before those big earnings show up causing the price to hopefully rise.
pfo
AG
I bleed maroon said:

Admit it, we've all done it. Bought a stock for sentimental, emotional, or silly reasons. Not because of what you found in due diligence, not on fundamentals, and not for an attractive chart pattern. Sometimes, you just fat-fingered a stock quote, and came across something else. Sometimes, it's because the stock symbol sounded cool. How did it work out for you? I'll start:

GIGM - found it accidentally, as an Aggie, I was amused by their stock symbol, and bought some on a lark. Sold a few months later at a decent loss.

DXCM - my aging dad is diabetic, and the Dexcom device has improved his life. Their stock is down 40% today on a revenue miss, so I said what the heck and did a buy/write. My brother thinks it's a takeover candidate for someone with better technology, but I've done no analysis whatsoever. We'll see how it goes.

PK - Park Hotels, a REIT. I know a guy who was on their board of directors, so I bought it (when they were spun off of Hilton(?) years ago, without any analysis. Sold for a pretty good gain.

I hate sold DXCM today. I've owned it since Trump took office in 2017 and it's been great. But they made a June presentation that painted a rosy picture and in their earnings call they:

Missed all numbers
Guided down
Reported fewer patients
Less revenue to patient
Sales team problems
Highlighted competition by Medtronic and another co.

What a catastrophe! I sold at the open and am done forever with Dexcom
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wondering if projections from weight loss meds are a big culprit negatively impacting DXCM.
I bleed maroon
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Wondering if projections from weight loss meds are a big culprit negatively impacting DXCM.
DexCom devices are mostly (to my knowledge) for people with Type 1 Diabetes, which is not related to weight gain or behavioral causes. So, I doubt that's it, but someone else may chime in.
I bleed maroon
AG
DXCM up around 7% today. pfo may have "hate sold" it too early?
jamey
AG
When I first started playing I was going to put my science education to use, and dig into the science behind some Biotechnology stocks.

I did ok on the science part. What I did not understand was the valuation or how Biotechnology is ripe for a buyout when it's just about to run out of money, pennies on the dollar.

And boy did I ever get even

Learned a few lessons before I deciding to just go with an ETF like XBI
LMCane
Powell and SMCI because of TEXAGS!
CC09LawAg
Anyone whining about the stock market thread and choices they make as a grown adult based on the discussion there has the emotional maturity of a middle schooler. And that may be generous.
FishrCoAg
AG
Check POWL now dumbass
rlb28
AG
PENN
YouBet
AG
I don't even remember the name of the stock but 20ish years ago I bought a penny stock on a whim around the time hydrogen fuel cells were going to be the next big thing. Knew nothing about it other than the sensational headlines. Went to the pink sheets and bought a **** load of the first penny stock i found in that sector with around 40c a share.

Moved on about my life. Some company called PLUG buys them out a few years after that. I move on about my life.

Fast forward to a few years ago when green energy becomes the rage and PLUG finds itself at ATHs of $70ish.

I sell most of my PLUG at $70 with a cost basis of 40ish cents. So my random ass penny flyer paid off handsomely 20 years down the road.

Miracles can happen.

Conversely, and I'm going to go there, but I bought some of the TexAgs infamous ABML. They changed their ticker and I dont even recall what it is or how it's doing. Kind of forgot about it. Are we rich yet? lol.

I literally only bought it because I wanted equity in that thread and I had FOMO and imposter syndrome when reading it and not owning any. I think I threw $25 at it.
FinMick
AG
Quote:

That came across some newletter I was on 20+ years ago right out of school called "Rollercoaster Stocks" or something, regarding cheap/penny stocks. So I bought it, and ended up doubling my money or more. I made hundreds of dollars--they also turned me on to SIX (Six Flags--as a real estate play) and Smith and Wesson when both were ~sub $5.

It was the best $20 I ever spent on a news letter. They had a rudamental website, user and password were both provided for an "annual subscription", lol but years later the same user/pw worked.
_lefraud_
AG
I bought AGS a few years back. It's done alright.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LUV and DIS for me during the 2020 covid crash, because I like both companies and had blind faith that they would withstand COVID better than most.

Ended up being great picks as I sold both for around +100%, but with that rally I think a blind monkey throwing darts at stocks would've made huge money.

But then there was ROKU. Pretty much bought near its ATH, and sold for...a pretty hefty loss.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.