Business & Investing
Sponsored by

CD Marketing Flood?

1,342 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by TTUArmy
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is everyone seeing a huge uptick of marketing coming from banks trying to sell CDs? Been going on for a while now but it has absolutely exploded in the last few weeks. Emails, snail mail, popups, everywhere you look. And I havent clicked a link or anything to push them my direction.

Banks just trying to make a profit or sign of them being in a pinch?
Baby Billy
AG
Banks are always searching for deposits and they haven't been able to offer attractive CD rates for a very long time.
Aggie09Derek
AG
You probably clicked on an ad and now are getting tons due to that
CS78
Baby Billy said:

Banks are always searching for deposits and they haven't been able to offer attractive CD rates for a very long time.

Realize that. Just seems Im seeing 10X the ads for them now compared to 6 months ago.
chris1515
AG
I see no such ads and I consume a lot of financial articles. You did something to trigger the algorithm. Or perhaps someone you're close to did.
mosdefn14
AG
Generally banks have similar rates on products. CDs on the brokered market are being issued at generally similar rates and terms, nothing magical about bank a vs bank b. Due to inertia, no one is moving their banking relationship for 1% more so no big advertising push the last decade when cd rates were essentially the same as deposit rates.

Today, lots of people out there with trillions of dollars of cash in savings accounts still making 5bps. Their bank isn't pushing any product to them as they're earning 4% + NIM on that deposit and it's been fairly sticky for a while. But other banks know you'll think about switching to go from 5bps to 400-500, hence the advertising push. It's not just about the CD, they're trying to get you in the door to possibly move the whole relationship. But they do need deposits too, so they're happy to just sell the CD.
TTUArmy
Banks are desperate for deposits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.