Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Can any Ags help amend an existing Family Trust?

1,184 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by jwoodmd
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The attorney who helped us originally like 10 years ago is MIA. Need to make some adjustments.

Any help or contacts would be appreciated.
Jabin
It would help if you let everyone know where you are or what geographical area, if any, the attorney needs to be located in.

Most if not all estate planning attorneys should be able to handle that.
The Silverback
AG
In Austin but could care less where the attorney is located in as long as they can help.
Casey TableTennis
AG
FWIW most attorneys will want to restate vs amend someone else's work.
Pinochet
Sort of irrelevant. You aren't going to create a new trust but you can amend the trust documents by throwing everything out and replacing with new agreements, as long as you don't violate some original covenant or accidentally change the type of trust. A decent attorney will be able to walk you through that, OP.

OP if you don't have an MFO relationship, I can ask the guys in my office who they refer people to.
Casey TableTennis
AG
It is often more time consuming to review and amend someone else's work than redraft from the new attorney's templates.

Many people ask for what the OP is asking. I've personally asked for the same. Many are properly advised to restate when using a new attorney. I've heard this from 10+ top estate planning attorneys. The ones that are willing to do it seem to be the less experienced attorneys and/or are working somewhat out of their specialty. It doesn't mean it can't work, but the quality of work has more risk with it.
BDJ_AG
AG
Depending on what level of changes you are making, I don't mind sharing the amendment document we used and you can decide if that is good enough for your purposes. Minor changes are pretty easy.

The Silverback
AG
I got this handled but thanks for the input above
jwoodmd
The Silverback said:

The attorney who helped us originally like 10 years ago is MIA. Need to make some adjustments.

Any help or contacts would be appreciated.
Austin area, 10 years ago, went MIA,…… hmmm, did he post on TexAgs a lot?!?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.