Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Hedging with a 401k

2,978 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GoAgs92
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any decent way to hedge with a 401k….Cash pays nothing….? Choices are pretty limited

High yield bonds? Emerging markets?

This graph is not giving me much confidence.

Fightin_Aggie
AG

One sign I have seen to say there is high margin debt is how rapidly stocks can move in one day
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Casey TableTennis
AG
This is a pretty misleading presentation of the data, IMO. Debt is to a high degree a function of wealth. The more wealth, the more debt capacity there is without compromising the asset base and/or cash-flow.

Looking at the second half of the chart is instructive. S&P 500 has ~tripled since 2010. During the same time frame margin debt is up 2.5x or so. Not so alarming when viewed in this manner.

This general relationship is still true, but less in sync over the entire span. However shifting start date a year or two either direction would likely bring it back in sync as a wealth dynamic. Admittedly, at first blush I thought 1997 was a cherry picked start date, but from quick search it appears that is the start of this information being tracked/published.

The longer the time span, and greater the wealth growth, the greater divergence I would expect to see. However, on a % basis, it doesn't appear to be adding incremental risk to me.

Of course margin balances are compressed in recessions along with index/asset values. But, as markets grow higher over time, the likelihood of correcting all the way back to a "touch point" in the data is increasingly less likely... as long as debt growth rates aren't outpacing asset/wealth growth rates.

OldArmyCT
AG
You didn't tell us your age. If you're under 60 and not 100% in the market you're losing out. If it dips say, 5-20%, that's great news, double down while it's down. Buddy of mine retired the same time I did, our 401K's were similar. He started buying CD's, I'm still 100% in the market. I now have 2 1/2 times what he has and it's only been 4 years.
GoAgs92
AG
In my low 50s…but wold like to retire In my low 60s.

88% in stocks
GoAgs92
AG
Now I wish I had figured out a hedge..haha.
Monywolf
OldArmyCT said:

You didn't tell us your age. If you're under 60 and not 100% in the market you're losing out. If it dips say, 5-20%, that's great news, double down while it's down. Buddy of mine retired the same time I did, our 401K's were similar. He started buying CD's, I'm still 100% in the market. I now have 2 1/2 times what he has and it's only been 4 years.
Double down with what? If you are 100% stocks?
OldArmyCT
AG
Monywolf said:

OldArmyCT said:

Double down with what? If you are 100% stocks?
Add more money. A lot of people go to cash during downturns, vowing to return "...when the market returns..."
halfastros81
AG
Can't always just randomly add $ to a tax deferred acct.
chris1515
AG
Is that chart saying there is $900B of margin stacked against $4.5T of market cap on the sp500?

Am I reading that right?

GoAgs92
AG
I think it just shows the S&P index, not in billions
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.