Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Thinkorswim Setups

15,613 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jimmo
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The discussion was brought up on the "Stock Markets" thread, thought I'd give it a whirl here......this is my standard chart trading screen. A quick run down....

Far left column:

Watchlist: Each of the XL_ funds so I can track the daily activity of each sector. For day trading, don't fight the traffic, if a sector is green, this is a long opp, if a sector is red, this is a short opp.

Quick Chart: I either keep SPY, /ES, or QQQ open here on a 10min chart, I want to know what macros are doing if I'm in something.

The chart Grid:
4 Boxes, I default to 10min upper left, 30min upper right, hourly lower left, daily lower right.

10Min chart Indicators: EMA clouds, TTM_Reversion, AVG_Vol with a 50period purple line, TTM_Squeeze, and then multi time frame TTM_Squeeze in teh upper left

30Min chart: Nothing, clean, price action only and volume

Hourly chart: Woodies Pivots, EMA's correlated to daily time frames (8 hours * the day time frame I watch, 9, 21, 50, 200)

Daily chart: TTM_Reversion, EMA's 9, 21, 50, 200

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
McInnis 03
AG
I also detach this flex grid of market indicators to watch the TICK, TRIN, VOLSPD, and VIX at any time in a separate window.

***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
FJ43
Thanks! Great thread for the TOS clan.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

MasonRamsay
I love both set ups as I also use a lot of things from Mastering the Trade!

Please excuse my newb questions here but can you quickly explain a few things?
- ema clouds and how you use them
-ttm reversion and how you use it
-woodies pivots and how you use them

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!
McInnis 03
AG
ImhereforOA said:

Gladly.

I use these on the 10min to help me identify if a momentum move is continuing and/or holding. The yellow area is the 5-12 period EMA, if the candles are staying in/above this on a climb, it's a good one to be in long. If the candles are staying above but pull back on one of these runs, it indentifies an entry point for me. Inverse behavior for short (staying below the clouds, pulls back to the cloud for entry and then continues to drop) I got this behavior from Ripster on twitter. Check his twitter profile and search his trading tips regarding the EMA clouds for more tips.

Even though this is on multiple charts, I usually only use this on the daily. It signifies a 1.5x move of the ATR (avg. true range) of the stock, if it closes near or outside these ranges, there's a good chance it'll pull back to within them so a play exists there.

I use these on the hourly as guides to help me identify when a move may run out of gas. the purple line is the daily pivot. The red lines are resistance and typically identify a stall point. The blue lines are support and typically identify a stall point. It's also really difficult for a stock to move outside the R3, S3 range (The top or bottom line) in a day, so if one gets there I start to think it's time to move my attention to something new.

B&I Key:
Whitehouse Road
AG
McInnis have you ever paid for any of SimplerTradings chart tools or do you just use the free ones already on TOS?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Holy balls, I never knew about Flex Grids, or that you could detach a set of charts and have them float about...
McInnis 03
AG
Whitehouse Road said:

McInnis have you ever paid for any of SimplerTradings chart tools or do you just use the free ones already on TOS?
I have not. There are a LOT of free codes out there on sites like usethinkscript.com that can mimic what a lot of these "Developed" ones are.

To be honest, a lot of what Carter sells is just a minor tweak on some old scripts a guy who went by "Firstwave" put together many years ago and are now adapted for TOS.

B&I Key:
FJ43
Maximus_Meridius said:

Holy balls, I never knew about Flex Grids, or that you could detach a set of charts and have them float about...
Best thing since sliced bread!
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

AgEng06
AG
A quick tip... in your top left "Account Info" box, you can click on the Option Buying Power or Net Liq & Day Trades boxes and select "Privacy" and it will hide all of your account numbers (for sharing and such).

That said, thank you for taking the time to put this together!
FJ43
AgEng06 said:

A quick tip... in your top left "Account Info" box, you can click on the Option Buying Power or Net Liq & Day Trades boxes and select "Privacy" and it will hide all of your account numbers (for sharing and such).

That said, thank you for taking the time to put this together!
I believe you can also just minimize that entire section with the arrow next to Account Info. Same as minimizing a Watch List.

SnowboardAg
AG
Depends on if you're a swing trader or scalper, but level 2, time and sales, and active trader are all key pieces in flexible grid for me.
FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

ImhereforOA said:

Gladly.

I use these on the 10min to help me identify if a momentum move is continuing and/or holding. The yellow area is the 5-12 period EMA, if the candles are staying in/above this on a climb, it's a good one to be in long. If the candles are staying above but pull back on one of these runs, it indentifies an entry point for me. Inverse behavior for short (staying below the clouds, pulls back to the cloud for entry and then continues to drop) I got this behavior from Ripster on twitter. Check his twitter profile and search his trading tips regarding the EMA clouds for more tips.

Even though this is on multiple charts, I usually only use this on the daily. It signifies a 1.5x move of the ATR (avg. true range) of the stock, if it closes near or outside these ranges, there's a good chance it'll pull back to within them so a play exists there.

I use these on the hourly as guides to help me identify when a move may run out of gas. the purple line is the daily pivot. The red lines are resistance and typically identify a stall point. The blue lines are support and typically identify a stall point. It's also really difficult for a stock to move outside the R3, S3 range (The top or bottom line) in a day, so if one gets there I start to think it's time to move my attention to something new.

McInnis are the EMA clouds the same visually that Ripster uses? I can't find those on TOS studies list unless I'm just missing how they are named.

McInnis 03
AG
FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

ImhereforOA said:

Gladly.

McInnis are the EMA clouds the same visually that Ripster uses? I can't find those on TOS studies list unless I'm just missing how they are named.

Ripster shared the script once. I can get it to you when I'm at my machine this week

B&I Key:
FJ43
Thanks appreciate it. Being a visual person I think I'd like to give those a whirl.

FJ43
Just tried that "Privacy" option. Much better! Thanks for the tip.

FJ43
If new to TOS this link has some good videos on setups.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HahntechLLC

AgEng06
cottonpicker
AG
FJ43 said:

If new to TOS this link has some good videos on setups.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HahntechLLC
FJ43
That link is just one of them I have used. Sometimes boring and drawn out but informative. There are a ton of TOS videos online. TDA has a lot as well but the 'public' ones tend do get more detailed IMO.

McInnis 03
AG
https://tos.mx/LH9Esgm

That should be the EMA clouds shared.
FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

Awesome thanks!

FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

Loaded it and pretty cool. I didn't change the values so do you use this study for example a 10 day hourly or a 3 month daily? Not sure if this is meant for any specific time period as designed.

Pretty obvious on some stocks to see where it breaks the clouds and bounces off the next. or breaks through to bounce off the bottom of the next.

FJ43
Call me a nerd but this is cool and not even sure I am using it correctly yet. Cool how it bounces off the cloud levels. Easy way to visually see stay in or get out of the way.

LLNW - 3 Day / Hourly

McInnis 03
AG
FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Loaded it and pretty cool. I didn't change the values so do you use this study for example a 10 day hourly or a 3 month daily? Not sure if this is meant for any specific time period as designed.

Pretty obvious on some stocks to see where it breaks the clouds and bounces off the next. or breaks through to bounce off the bottom of the next.

10 minute only.

I use this to identify if breakouts or breakdowns are staying true
McInnis 03
AG

FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

10 minute only.

Saved the study name as McInnis. You are forever tied to this study.

McInnis 03
AG
FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

FJ43 said:

McInnis 03 said:

10 minute only.

Saved the study name as McInnis. You are forever tied to this study.
F2Aggie
AG
Is there a way to save somebody's layout once they share their grid with you?
I know how to load it but having difficulty saving it so I can access it as my own later.
Thanks
McInnis 03
AG
F2Aggie said:

Is there a way to save somebody's layout once they share their grid with you?
I know how to load it but having difficulty saving it so I can access it as my own later.
Thanks

Yes, you can save different workspace setups.

"To save your currently viewed settings, click on "Setup" in the upper-right corner of the platform, then "Save Workspace as", designate a name for the workspace and press OK. These are saved locally to your computer, so they will not be available if you log in using a different computer."
MasonRamsay
How did you get the multi-time fram TTM Squeezes into that top left box? Looking everywhere for a how-to on the internet and can't find anything..
**the only thing I am certain about in the market is that I am completely uncertain**
Maximus_Meridius
AG
It's probably a custom script he got somewhere along the way. There's a LOT you can do programming within TOS.
McInnis 03
AG
https://tos.mx/hHfjdZb

You have to add one for each time frame you want to your studies shown and set the time frame. When you are on a higher time frame, the timeframes under it will not appear (ie: you're viewing 10m, the 5m will not show, you're on 1H, the 30m, 15m, 10m, etc will not show).
MasonRamsay
Thank you! This is by far the cleanest set up I have ever had.
**the only thing I am certain about in the market is that I am completely uncertain**
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.