Business & Investing
Sponsored by

When country clubs close

9,270 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

But golf's popularity has declined in recent years, as younger generations haven't taken to the game with the same level of enthusiasm as their predecessors. Golf participation peaked in 2001, when nearly 30 million people played more than 500 million rounds; in 2017, that figure dropped to nearly 24 million people playing about 450 million rounds, according to the National Golf Foundation.

From the wsj article I posted
Ragoo
AG
I just wish I lived within 10 minutes of a course that didn't take 5+ hours to finish a round.

I miss playing golf.
mazag08
AG
Burdizzo said:

Quote:

But golf's popularity has declined in recent years, as younger generations haven't taken to the game with the same level of enthusiasm as their predecessors. Golf participation peaked in 2001, when nearly 30 million people played more than 500 million rounds; in 2017, that figure dropped to nearly 24 million people playing about 450 million rounds, according to the National Golf Foundation.

From the wsj article I posted
That blurb was speaking specifically about the younger generation.

I played maybe 4 times a year over the last 10 years. The last two years, I've played 10-12 rounds a year and am on track for 20 this year. Why? I have more income, am mostly out of debt, and dropping $80 twice a month is no biggie anymore. This is the case for a lot of young golfers.

Look at the junior golf numbers and senior golfers numbers in my last post.

Golf isn't getting less popular, it's just not as easily affordable as it was 10+ years ago for people who don't have a lot of disposable income.

Country clubs are closing because the model is outdated, like a mall. You don't need a place with a crappy gym, tennis courts, a pool, and a restaurant. There's a million choices for working out, rec acitvities, eating, and everyone has 3-4 friends with neighborhood amenities. Plus, not as many people want to drop 5-10k plus $300 - $500 a month to play the same course over and over again.
Burdizzo
AG
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/12/golf-statistics-2019/

Quote:

While some statistics suggest golf may be on the decline, caretakers of the game say the reality is more complicated. Here are figures provided by the National Golf Foundation, which is the golf industry's primary research and consulting organization, and the Colorado Golf Association:

Golf participation in the U.S. peaked in 2005 at about 30 million golfers, according to the NGF, at a time when Tiger Woods was at the height of his popularity. That number dropped to about 24 million but has held steady at that level for the past five years.

Before that, there was a boom in golf course construction, largely driven by real estate housing developments, which NGF officials say resulted in an "oversupply." In the preceding 20 years, 4,567 courses were built in the U.S., increasing the number of courses by 44 percent. Since then, about 500 new courses have been added, but there has been a net decline of 1,230 because of course closures. Golf industry officials consider this a "market correction" because of the preceding boom in golf real estate developments, rather than a sign of golf's declining popularity.
Reflecting the boom in course construction nationally, Colorado saw a large upswing in the 1990s (52 new courses) and the 2000s (46), according to CGA figures. Since 2000, nine Colorado courses have closed. The state has 246 in operation.
The high point for public rounds played in metro Denver occurred in 2002 (1,917,337), according to the CGA, and that number dropped to 1,766,951 in 2003. From 2013-17 (the last year for which numbers are available), the number of metro Denver public rounds has held steady, averaging 1,721,179.

Tiger Woods hangover.
Burdizzo
AG
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-golf-has-gone-the-way-of-the-three-martini-lunch-2016-07-13

Quote:

In the early 2010s, golf participation among Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 was 9%, down from 14% in the early 1990s, according to data from the National Golf Foundation. Generation X people born between 1965 and 1980 makes up the largest proportion of golfers today, accounting for nearly 7 million of the 24.7 million golfers nationwide. However, millennials are more likely to take up golf after an increase in income, as the generation's older cohort had higher participation rates than those between the ages of 24 and 29 who had mounting student loan and credit card debt, according to the NGF.
mazag08
AG
Burdizzo said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-golf-has-gone-the-way-of-the-three-martini-lunch-2016-07-13

Quote:

In the early 2010s, golf participation among Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 was 9%, down from 14% in the early 1990s, according to data from the National Golf Foundation. Generation X people born between 1965 and 1980 makes up the largest proportion of golfers today, accounting for nearly 7 million of the 24.7 million golfers nationwide. However, millennials are more likely to take up golf after an increase in income, as the generation's older cohort had higher participation rates than those between the ages of 24 and 29 who had mounting student loan and credit card debt, according to the NGF.

Literally everything I've been saying. But current numbers are trending up again as far as people playing golf.
BigPuma
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Pay article
bro, get a digital sub to the WSJ.
IrishTxAggie
AG
BigPuma said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Pay article
I'm a millennial!! I don't pay for subs! I borrow login information from friends!
Old RV Ag
AG
BigPuma said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Pay article
He brags about how he lives the life of the rich and famous but can't access a WSJ article. Oh, brother.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Old RV Ag said:

BigPuma said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Pay article
He brags about how he lives the life of the rich and famous but can't access a WSJ article. Oh, brother.

What can I say; I'm cheap.
BigPuma
AG
So who's amazon account you borrowing?
IrishTxAggie
AG
BigPuma said:

That one is actually mine. I write off the annual fee on my taxes because I use it to buy 'office supplies' under my LLC.
Old RV Ag
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

BigPuma said:

That one is actually mine. I write off the annual fee on my taxes because I use it to buy 'office supplies' under my LLC.
Oh my, what a brilliant move to wealth management.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Old RV Ag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

BigPuma said:

It's worked out pretty well for me so far.
Old RV Ag
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Old RV Ag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

BigPuma said:

Son, a double wide is not something to aspire to.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Old RV Ag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Old RV Ag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

BigPuma said:

But the triple wide is what really sets me apart...
Old RV Ag
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Old RV Ag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Old RV Ag said:

IrishTxAggie said:

BigPuma said:

But the triple wide is what really sets me apart...

Don't forget the F350 parked out front.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Could only afford the F250 after I put in the pool...
John Francis Donaghy
IrishTxAggie said:

Could only afford the F250 after I put in the pool...

Throw a tarp in the bed of that F250 and fill it with water and a hose to pump bubbles from an air pump and you're 2/3 of the way to opening your own country club.
BigPuma
Aston04
AG
Especially the younger generation, everyone is looking at their phones constantly. I don't buy 4+ hour rounds of golf are going up. Clubs closing is at least partially a by product of that imo.

Industry sources are going to be hesitant to report total rounds going down. That's bad for prospecting new golf business investment.

Data about clubs simply shutting down is probably harder to muddy the waters on what is going on.
Yesterday
AG
The OP's question is pretty simple. Is it an equity club where the members actually own the country club? Then they sell the club and pocket whatever % they're owed. If it's a private club owned by a company then you're out everything. Which is why those clubs are usually a lot cheaper to join.
Burdizzo
AG
Thank you
TriAg2010
AG
Old RV Ag said:

CS78 said:

Very true. My grandparents kept their country club membership for years after my grandfather stopped playing gold just so they could take us to the pool. Now days, my kids go with their grandmother to our neighborhood pool.

I also agree with the younger generation being less likely to feel the need to climb the local social ladder.
Disagree. If this were true, social media wouldn't be a big thing. Number of followers wouldn't be tracked and we sure wouldn't have that thing called a selfie! To them, "local" is the world.

You are conflating recognition and hierarchy.
ATM9000
AG
I think the new fairly updated homes for cheap and people sort of becoming more willing to commute to own them is probably the worst thing for country clubs. When I lived out in the far 'burbs of Houston 5 years ago, we had a club with a really nice gym, tennis courts, beautiful clubhouse, huge playground and nice pool... all included in my $1500-ish HOA fee. My house was really nice too and I paid so little to build it brand new, the catch was it is about 30 miles outside of Houston and an hour commute into town with traffic. The folks in that neighborhood used to be a country club's target audience 30-40 years ago. But when neighborhoods all have pretty good built in amenities that cost next to nothing, people are working more, and jobs are centralizing more and more in city centers, that's all a recipe for who the hell has time anymore to make joining a country club worthwhile anymore.
Old RV Ag
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Old RV Ag said:

CS78 said:

Very true. My grandparents kept their country club membership for years after my grandfather stopped playing gold just so they could take us to the pool. Now days, my kids go with their grandmother to our neighborhood pool.

I also agree with the younger generation being less likely to feel the need to climb the local social ladder.
Disagree. If this were true, social media wouldn't be a big thing. Number of followers wouldn't be tracked and we sure wouldn't have that thing called a selfie! To them, "local" is the world.

You are conflating recognition and hierarchy.
Disagree. In this social media age they go hand in hand in countless ways. Examples include only people with so many followers (recognition) are invited to certain functions helpful for their career (hierarchy). It's just a variation on a theme of the country club recognition/hierarchy conflation.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I read an article a while back about FL and failing golf courses.

One of the bigger issues the home owners were complaining about was the lack of maintenance of the grass/outdoor areas while things were in legal-limbo.

Eventually the city bought the property and turned the golf course into a park (or parks, multiple courses). While the golf fanatics complained, it actually helped stabilize property values and help out in some of the flooding (since golf courses tended to be built on the low-lying areas). Return to nature and it worked out.

Might be an avenue for some that have 'mandatory' club dues/membership.

~egon
Dr. Doctor
AG
Phase II Study

Shows from 2005 to 2015 the land use of golf courses in the US. Over this time period, you lost ~112k acres of land; at ~150 acres a 18-hole course, that's about 750 18-hole courses that have closed in 10 years.

They break down the numbers way more than anyone should want to know.

~egon
bmks270
AG
Friend sent me this crazy story...

There is a golf course community, the course went belly up a few years ago... just became overgrown.

Well it was bought like a a few years ago by some investment company who was going to re-open it. A huge 150 million dollar project. Work had already begin.

Then, the owner of the investment company died, and the ownership of his company was transferred to his estate, which is controlled by his kids and his Son.

Well apparently his son just halted the project and is stonewalling the other partners in the development project.

Quote:

Immediately upon the sudden passing of our partner Larry Klein, we were informed that Larry's estate would now become the sole manager of 5th Hole Investments. Since management rights passing to an estate is not typical, we requested documentation to understand how this was possible. The family assured us they intend to move forward and would arrange an in-person meeting following the funeral and grieving process to formalize the transfer.

Since then, we were told that Robert L. Klein, Larry's son, had been appointed as the personal representative (PR) of Larry's estate, despite being described by the family as "not having a strong relationship with Larry". We were then also told that two eminent domain attorneys from Minnesota and Wisconsin would be representing the Klein estate's interest in 5th Hole Investments, LLC, as its sole manager. They immediately proceeded to take the unilateral actions of shuttering the clubhouse, banning us from the property and halting the project, all of which to our knowledge was done wrongfully. We reached out to the family and both attorneys multiple times in an effort to understand their actions, yet we were provided no logical explanation and only hostility. The attorneys for Larry's estate continue to insist that the PR of Larry's estate is the sole manager of 5th Hole Investments and as such, has the right to approve of all actions since he now controls the property. However, despite multiple requests, the estate never furnished any documentation proving that Robert L. Klein, as PR of Larry's estate, is actually the sole manager of 5th Hole, something that is seemingly in contravention of the 5th Hole operating agreement.

http://theapopkavoice.com/breaking-news-signature-h-vice-president-releases-statement-on-new-errol-project-2/
bmks270
AG
Google show more recently the two parties accusing one another of refusing to cooperate or share documents.

Here is what is at stake:
Quote:

The proposed $150-million project, which was approved by the Apopka City Council in March, includes 264 new residences, a redesigned championship golf course, a 15,000 square foot clubhouse with restaurant, a boutique lodge hotel, a two-acre water park, outdoor parks and trails, and an Adult Living Facility.

http://theapopkavoice.com/new-errol-project-unravelling2/
jja79
AG
Looks like two different conversations took place here. One about country clubs which 03ki11erAG correctly answered. The other about housing developments built around public golf courses. That just seems like a bad idea to me.

I belong to a private club that is growing and thriving, but targeting a different market than maybe some others. I think it's a great place to spend time with family, make business contacts, etc.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.