Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Will Oxy move headquarters to Woodlands?

10,553 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 2wealfth Man
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not familiar with Oxy. Where are they headquartered in Houston? I'm wondering if their new Woodlands digs will be their best real estate and potentially move execs up there.

What do y'all think?
Aggie09Derek
AG
They just took over COP's old complex off Dairy Ashford. Maybe could give some employees the option on which campus makes sense for them to work out of (energy corridor vs woodlands).
ARCHag08
Not gonna happen
Aggie09Derek
AG
Zman91
AG
Oxy not moving to Woodlands, that property will probably be sold to Chevron
GE
AG
Has Oxy moved into the old Conoco campus yet? I heard they were renovating it but I was there visiting someone a couple years ago and it wasnt that nice
ChipFTAC01
AG
They haven't moved yet.
AggieMainland
0% chance they keep a Woodlands location long term.

Plenty of space in the old COP campus they are renovating.
coolerguy12
AG
Their CEO told us last week in a town hall that they are already full at their new campus in energy corridor (which they don't move into until 2020). She said she can see a situation in which they keep one of the buildings in the woodlands and the EC campus. She mentioned that they would keep groups together (Permian, DJ, GOM) but that in today's day and age it's not critical to have everyone in one campus.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Why on earth would Chevron buy it?
AggieMainland
I think the key word is "long term". I think they get rid of GOM eventually so maybe its not worth the move to take up space.
GE
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

True or not a friend at chevron told me they are overflowing from their downtown offices currently. Also, I could see Cali becoming so hostile to energy companies that it makes sense to move.
TriAg2010
AG
GE said:

RightWingConspirator said:

True or not a friend at chevron told me they are overflowing from their downtown offices currently. Also, I could see Cali becoming so hostile to energy companies that it makes sense to move.

I think Chevron already owns land downtown if they wanted to expand. They planned a tower in the mid-2010s that got iced when energy prices tanked.
Aggie09Derek
AG
They may downsize in a Cali but I highly highly doubt you will ever see official corporate headquarters change.
Zman91
AG
Don't have insight as to why, just know some folks who have insight to the talks between Chevron and Anadarko.
strohag
AG
Complete remodel of Conoco campus is about to start. Should be done in 9 to 12 months and then Oxy will move in.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Agree with the statement that Chevron will likely never leave California. It's the original "Standard Oil of California" and has two very large refineries there (Richmond and El Segundo). I just don't see it moving. As far as the downtown offices are concerned, Chevron has a big lot open right next to 1500 Louisiana Street that they could build on. They had plans to do something there, but then oil crashed and plans got scrapped (as was previously mentioned). They already have people at 1400 Smith, 1500 Louisiana, Allen Center, the old Continental building....just can't imagine them moving to The Woodlands, but hey, what do I know...
tlh3842
AG
Wasn't Chevron shipping most mid con/Permian folks out to Midland not long ago?
Zman91
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Their CEO told us last week in a town hall that they are already full at their new campus in energy corridor (which they don't move into until 2020). She said she can see a situation in which they keep one of the buildings in the woodlands and the EC campus. She mentioned that they would keep groups together (Permian, DJ, GOM) but that in today's day and age it's not critical to have everyone in one campus.
This is more accurate than what I said about Chevron, apparently I had old information.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Oxy announced they were going to move to the Conoco property out west over a year ago. I don't think the Anadarko purchase is going to change that. I'd expect a dual office temporarily, and then they consolidate at the old Conoco spot.
GE
AG
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/06/07/exclusive-oxy-delays-decision-on-hq-move.html
coolerguy12
AG
Curious if they are delaying the move to avoid moving people who will wind up being let go or if they are considering the woodlands campus. APC has land and permits for 2 more towers in the Woodlands... could create a super campus to rival Exxon.
AggieMainland
The delay is weird to me. Very odd. You have the space for additional bodies in the new campus. You have current employees that have sold their house and moved closer to the new campus so that their kids could do a full school year in the new district. (Starting in the fall) Maybe there is more to this. Or maybe they have no idea what they are doing.
coolerguy12
AG
This is all hearsay, but the latest I have heard.

Yesterday Oxy had a townhall where it was announced they were scraping plans to move to the energy corridor and would renovate greenway plaza and stay there. Gulf of Mexico and Midstream will stay in the woodlands in Hackett and Allison for the foreseeable future.

Would love to hear from any Oxy people that were at the town hall.
TriumphForks
AG
coolerguy12 said:

This is all hearsay, but the latest I have heard.

Yesterday Oxy had a townhall where it was announced they were scraping plans to move to the energy corridor and would renovate greenway plaza and stay there. Gulf of Mexico and Midstream will stay in the woodlands in Hackett and Allison for the foreseeable future.

Would love to hear from any Oxy people that were at the town hall.
Username checks out
blinkags12
AG
Nothing was said in regards to scraping anything... more so putting on hold until after integration to understand what the company looks afterwards, headcount in certain BUs etc.

With that being said, I did get the vibe both Greenway and the Woodlands will exist for a while. New campuses require a lot of cash.
coolerguy12
AG
What's the vibe from Oxy employees? Do they want the woodlands campus or Energy Corridor? Our email Friday said the building situation would be the woodlands and Greenway "for the foreseeable future".
Joseph Parrish
AG
coolerguy12 said:

What's the vibe from Oxy employees? Do they want the woodlands campus or Energy Corridor? Our email Friday said the building situation would be the woodlands and Greenway "for the foreseeable future".

Kind of depends on what side of town they live on. Lots of the people out West were pretty happy.
AggieMainland
I think most would prefer Greenway.
GE
AG
AggieMainland said:

I talked to one who said the new campus was going to be open concept with a bunch of cubicles whereas everyone currently has offices at Greenway
Joseph Parrish
AG
GE said:

AggieMainland said:

I talked to one who said the new campus was going to be open concept with a bunch of cubicles whereas everyone currently has offices at Greenway
Lol, they would hate that.
IrishTxAggie
AG
GE said:

AggieMainland said:

They're going to upgrade "amenities" too
GE
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

GE said:

AggieMainland said:

Yes, they were not happy about it
Satellite of Love
Joseph Parrish said:

GE said:

AggieMainland said:

I was at Oxy when South Texas was getting started. We were in 6 people cubes on i think the 8th or 9th floor until the 10th was built out. It was awful. So much additional noise and hearing everyone's conversation was a distraction. Little to no privacy too. I was happy once I got my own office on the finished floor.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
monarch
S
In reply to the OP, I sure as hell hope not. The Exxon move to The Woodlands really screwed traffic up and another large scale move would just make it worse for the area.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.