Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Rental Property Tax Strategies

5,276 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DonaldFDraper
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About a month ago, we converted our former primary residence into a rental property. After going through the process of vetting tenants and getting the lease signed, I am starting to look into tax strategy and my head is spinning. I knew there would be different methods to depreciation, etc. but I didn't expect the level of complication I am reading.

At the current rental rate less mortgage, taxes, insurance, standard upkeep, we would make a small profit. I was hoping to front load some updates/repairs and take a "loss" as a tax offset. But it appears we will be over the MAGI phase out for passive income; my wife and I are relatively high earners W2 earners (both over 6 figures).

Would anyone be available to review our situation and provide some guidance on how best to proceed?

I would be willing to compensate for your time. Located in DFW. A few articles I've read for reference:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-you-deduct-your-rental-losses.html
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-new-tax-law-gives-rental-property-owners-some-breaks-and-one-important-negative-change-2018-04-23
aunuwyn08
AG
Why not consult a licensed professional for advice since you're already willing to compensate?
DonaldFDraper
AG
I am more than willing to. Looking for references or someone who is licensed to contact me.
nukeaggie2000
AG
I rented out my past 2 primary houses. I only tried to break even with bills/repairs vs rent. The most loss you can take each year is $0. You can hide your profit by expensing for driving to property and buying tools for the repairs, but again the loss is maxed out at $0. The gain is when you sale the house, its considered long-term investment and tax at ~15%.

However, short-term rentals/vacation homes can have unlimited loss. You can expense the same things, like travel, food, repairs, etc, but the loss will be subtracted from your family income. Because its not considered a rental property, its now a business.
infinity ag
I had a townhouse bought in 2002 and then I bought a single fam and moved, so I sold the townhouse in 2011 at a loss but since I had paid down 90%, I got a good chunk back and I put it towards my current house.

9 years have passed and I am in a much better financial shape. Looking into other ways to invest. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of buying and renting property? Is it worthwhile?
gigemhilo
AG
whatever loss you don't take is carried forward to when you do have a profit or other forms of passive income. Also, you do realize that you will have to recapture the depreciation you take on the house when it is sold? as of right now, if you sell in the next couple years it will be a tax free transaction.

just a couple things to consider.

I am not your tax advisor, just a friend.
khkman22
AG
gigemhilo said:

whatever loss you don't take is carried forward to when you do have a profit or other forms of passive income. Also, you do realize that you will have to recapture the depreciation you take on the house when it is sold? as of right now, if you sell in the next couple years it will be a tax free transaction.

You'll probably recommend Turbo Tax to be his advisor.
gigemhilo
AG
khkman22 said:

gigemhilo said:

You'll probably recommend Turbo Tax to be his advisor.
Good one! And no, I would not.
Baby Billy
AG
infinity ag said:

I had a townhouse bought in 2002 and then I bought a single fam and moved, so I sold the townhouse in 2011 at a loss but since I had paid down 90%, I got a good chunk back and I put it towards my current house.

9 years have passed and I am in a much better financial shape. Looking into other ways to invest. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of buying and renting property? Is it worthwhile?

Pro: you own physical property

Cons: It's a huge pain in the ass for MOST people to deal with and they often learn that over time.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Appreciate the input. I am becoming moderately familiar with the impacts of selling and am aware there is a 5 year window if I want to take advantage of the 2/5 rule. The plan today is to keep it as a rental beyond that point but that may change.

Does anyone else have any advise or recommendation on a CPA to talk to?
infinity ag
Huell Babineaux said:

infinity ag said:

Cons: It's a huge pain in the ass for MOST people to deal with and they often learn that over time.

I have heard of this con from many of my friends. Bad renters, etc.
What is the pro of owning physical property? It could be a con that makes you less mobile. Tax benefit? How much of it do you need to have a steady income?
ToddyHill
AG
Donald,

If you're so inclined, I strongly recommend Debra Freiheit in Arlington. M.S. and CPA. She's done our taxes for 18 years...and part of our taxes include the depreciation of two rental properties (one in Texas, one in another state) as well as the other elements of rental property expenses/profit, etc. Email/Phone is:

MyCPA@tx.rr.com
817-277-5498

My only caveat...she has a huge clientele and she's probably slammed right now given the 15th is rapidly approaching. Nevertheless, I can't say enough positive things about her professionalism and knowledge of the current tax code.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Thanks! I will reach out to her.
BMach
AG
Physical assets can be attractive over stocks/bonds
BMach
AG
Biggerpockets.com, podcast is full of great content on this subject
AgCPA95
AG
BMach said:

Biggerpockets.com, podcast is full of great content on this subject
I will second this. Will help you figure out whether its for you or not as well as the different approaches for different people For some folks asset accumulation may be the answer, other want max cash flow, some flip, some buy notes, etc., etc.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Bumping this thread with a few questions before filing taxes with a rental property for the first time.

I apologize in advance for the number of questions. I have tried to phrase them in such a way that it provides my conclusion and I am mostly looking for confirmation.

If a CPA wants to do a quick review my return and do a Q&A session over the phone in the next week, I will be happy to Venmo you for your "unofficial" review. PM me.

My main concern is setting up something incorrectly that is going to cause headaches down the line or leave tax benefits on the table.

Top Level Info:
- Located in Texas
- Married filing jointly; we both have W2 jobs
- Converted primary residence into rental, placed in service on 3/15/2019
- Rental Income is labeled as "Passive Activity", "Active Participant"
- Net Income reported is showing 0
- Loss of ~4,400 (paid 2018 property taxes in 2019)
- Using TaxAct

General Questions:

- Qualified Joint Venture: I set up the business under me only. I owned the home before we were married so everything is in my name and am the more "active" participant in operating the rental property. Is there any benefit to setting up the rental as a "Qualified Joint Venture" between my wife and I vs. solely under me?

- Personal Use: If I am understanding the guidance properly, I do NOT need to input any thing for Personal Use since it was placed into service after we moved out. Correct?

- Repair Regulation Elections: I currently do not have any selected. Is there any benefit to choosing to Capitalize or the Small Taxpayer Harbor (I don't fully understand the requirements)?

- Mortgage Costs: I claimed the 10 months it was in service. Should I claim the entire year since I technically owned the asset?

- Asset acquired before 1987: The house was built before 1987 but I acquired the property in 2011 so I would answer it was acquired after 1987. Correct?

- Amortization: I am currently claiming nothing. Are there items that are typically claimed on former primary residences that have been converted into rental?

- Section 199A: I selected Section 199A and I do not believe it should be labeled as Safe Harbor since I did not spend more than 250 hours performing rental services. Correct?

- Qualified Business Income Deduction / Adjustment: Answering the TaxAct prompts yielded $0 for 2019. Is that to be expected given my situation?

Depreciation Questions:

- Cost Basis: There have not been any material improvements since purchasing. My understanding is to take purchase price in 2011 * % of the house/improvement value from my current tax assessment?

- Straight Line vs. Alternative: TaxAct and my reading suggested Straight Line since it is 100% business use. Correct?

- Asset Life Years: TaxAct suggested 27.5 years. I plan to keep this as a rental long term (10+ years). The home was built in 1979, purchased by me in 2011. Does that seem correct?
Mudcat
AG

I do not charge enough for tax returns

CPA
South Platte
DonaldFDraper said:

Bumping this thread with a few questions before filing taxes with a rental property for the first time.

I apologize in advance for the number of questions. I have tried to phrase them in such a way that it provides my conclusion and I am mostly looking for confirmation.

If a CPA wants to do a quick review my return and do a Q&A session over the phone in the next week, I will be happy to Venmo you for your "unofficial" review. PM me.

My main concern is setting up something incorrectly that is going to cause headaches down the line or leave tax benefits on the table.

Top Level Info:
- Located in Texas
- Married filing jointly; we both have W2 jobs
- Converted primary residence into rental, placed in service on 3/15/2019 (ok, look at the calendar and count how many days the place was rented.)
- Rental Income is labeled as "Passive Activity", "Active Participant" (correct)
- Net Income reported is showing 0 (you need to complete Schedule E pages 1 and 2 to properly report your rental activity, even though you are not eligible for the passive loss carryforward since you exceed AGI of $150,000).
- Loss of ~4,400 (paid 2018 property taxes in 2019) (your mortgage company should provide you with a tax document showing what property taxes were paid for calendar year 2019).
- Using TaxAct (OK. I have used freefilefillableforms.com)

General Questions:

- Qualified Joint Venture: I set up the business under me only. I owned the home before we were married so everything is in my name and am the more "active" participant in operating the rental property. Is there any benefit to setting up the rental as a "Qualified Joint Venture" between my wife and I vs. solely under me? (Did you actually create a business for your rental property business? I think it's highly unlikely that you would qualify for a QJV. See link here: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorporated-businesses#:~:text=A%20qualified%20joint%20venture%20is,be%20treated%20as%20a%20partnership.

- Personal Use: If I am understanding the guidance properly, I do NOT need to input any thing for Personal Use since it was placed into service after we moved out. Correct? (Correct, leave it blank)

- Repair Regulation Elections: I currently do not have any selected. Is there any benefit to choosing to Capitalize or the Small Taxpayer Harbor (I don't fully understand the requirements)? (No clue. In general, the IRS expects someone with 1 rental property to file the income/loss on the 1040.)

- Mortgage Costs: I claimed the 10 months it was in service. Should I claim the entire year since I technically owned the asset? (I prorated the costs like you did.)

- Asset acquired before 1987: The house was built before 1987 but I acquired the property in 2011 so I would answer it was acquired after 1987. Correct? (Correct)

- Amortization: I am currently claiming nothing. Are there items that are typically claimed on former primary residences that have been converted into rental? (Depreciation, yes. Amortization isn't for tangible assets like a rental property.)

- Section 199A: I selected Section 199A and I do not believe it should be labeled as Safe Harbor since I did not spend more than 250 hours performing rental services. Correct? (Correct. The requirements to quality are pretty steep.)

- Qualified Business Income Deduction / Adjustment: Answering the TaxAct prompts yielded $0 for 2019. Is that to be expected given my situation? (Did you set up a separate entity for this property?)

Depreciation Questions:

- Cost Basis: There have not been any material improvements since purchasing. My understanding is to take purchase price in 2011 * % of the house/improvement value from my current tax assessment? (Good question. Where my property is located, the original purchase was broken down between building and land. Since land doesn't depreciate, I can only depreciate the original building amount. I think I agree with you - if your current tax assessment says the building is 75% of the total market value, then take 75% x original purchase price).

- Straight Line vs. Alternative: TaxAct and my reading suggested Straight Line since it is 100% business use. Correct? (Correct.)

- Asset Life Years: TaxAct suggested 27.5 years. I plan to keep this as a rental long term (10+ years). The home was built in 1979, purchased by me in 2011. Does that seem correct? (Yes, although it's quirky. For rental properties put into service in March, multiply the cost basis by 2.879% and that is your 2019 depreciation. A full year will be 3.636%)
I'm not a CPA, but I'm an accountant who has had a rental property for the past 10 years. I do my own taxes.

See my answers above to your questions.

Also, although it doesn't appear to apply to you now since your AGI exceeds the allowable passive loss limit, in general, rental income must be reported on your 1040. Rental losses cannot be reported on your 1040 until your sell the property.
DonaldFDraper
AG
South Platte said:

DonaldFDraper said:

Top Level Info:

- Loss of ~4,400 (paid 2018 property taxes in 2019) (your mortgage company should provide you with a tax document showing what property taxes were paid for calendar year 2019).

• I do not have an escrow account so it is not listed. I made the Tax Year 2018 payment in Jan 2019 then Tax Year 2019 payment in Dec 2019. Thinking through it - Would the Jan 2019 payment count if it was not yet placed in service?

General Questions:

- Qualified Joint Venture: I set up the business under me only. I owned the home before we were married so everything is in my name and am the more "active" participant in operating the rental property. Is there any benefit to setting up the rental as a "Qualified Joint Venture" between my wife and I vs. solely under me? (Did you actually create a business for your rental property business? I think it's highly unlikely that you would qualify for a QJV. See link here: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorporated-businesses#:~:text=A%20qualified%20joint%20venture%20is,be%20treated%20as%20a%20partnership.

• I did not create a separate business entity. It will be listed on my/our personal return. Here is the description from TaxAct when prompting the question:

If you and your spouse each materially participate as the only members of a jointly owned and operated rental real estate business and you file a joint return, you can make an election to be taxed as a qualified joint venture instead of a partnership. If you wish to make this election, you will need to complete a separate Schedule E for each spouse to report their respective portion of income, deduction, or loss. Select the spouse whose income, deduction, or loss will be reported on this Schedule E.

You will need to complete a separate Schedule E for the other spouse's portion of income, deduction, or loss.

By making this election, you will not be required to file Form 1065 for any year the election is in effect and will instead report the income and deductions directly on your joint return. Once made, this election can be revoked only with the permission of the IRS.

- Qualified Business Income Deduction / Adjustment: Answering the TaxAct prompts yielded $0 for 2019. Is that to be expected given my situation? (Did you set up a separate entity for this property?)

• I did not create a separate business entity. It will be listed on my/our personal return.

Depreciation Questions:

- Cost Basis: There have not been any material improvements since purchasing. My understanding is to take purchase price in 2011 * % of the house/improvement value from my current tax assessment? (Good question. Where my property is located, the original purchase was broken down between building and land. Since land doesn't depreciate, I can only depreciate the original building amount. I think I agree with you - if your current tax assessment says the building is 75% of the total market value, then take 75% x original purchase price).

• I can only see Assessed Values on the Tax website back to 2015. I emailed them requesting 2011. I found 2010 in my closing documents:

LAND 26,000
    IMPROVEMENT 89,100
    TOTAL VALUE 115,100
    Which puts the land value around 22.5% so I could use that ratio x Purchase Price.

First of all - THANK YOU!!!

I edited the quote above to only include where I responded.

One additional "macro" question about Cost Basis - If this is a long term rental (10+ years), is it better to have a larger or smaller cost basis?

I appreciate your help.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
when I converted my primary residence to a rental (9 years ago) I'm pretty sure Quicken told us to use the current value of the house as the basis for depreciation, not what I paid for it (as it had appreciated quite a bit at that point). I believe we used the value of the building (not land) from the tax appraisal and it's auto-populated the 1/27.5 of the value each year since. Makes sense to me, as you have made a decision to use the property as an investment rather than sell it at that time. The basis at that time is what's important, not what you paid for it however many years ago.
edit: and a higher basis is better because 1/27.5*more is bigger than 1/27.5*less, meaning you get to deduct more each year for depreciation and have less positive income at the end of the year to pay taxes on
South Platte
DonaldFDraper said:

South Platte said:

DonaldFDraper said:

Top Level Info:

• I do not have an escrow account so it is not listed. I made the Tax Year 2018 payment in Jan 2019 then Tax Year 2019 payment in Dec 2019. Thinking through it - Would the Jan 2019 payment count if it was not yet placed in service?

General Questions:

• I did not create a separate business entity. It will be listed on my/our personal return. Here is the description from TaxAct when prompting the question:

If you and your spouse each materially participate as the only members of a jointly owned and operated rental real estate business and you file a joint return, you can make an election to be taxed as a qualified joint venture instead of a partnership. If you wish to make this election, you will need to complete a separate Schedule E for each spouse to report their respective portion of income, deduction, or loss. Select the spouse whose income, deduction, or loss will be reported on this Schedule E.

You will need to complete a separate Schedule E for the other spouse's portion of income, deduction, or loss.

By making this election, you will not be required to file Form 1065 for any year the election is in effect and will instead report the income and deductions directly on your joint return. Once made, this election can be revoked only with the permission of the IRS.

• I did not create a separate business entity. It will be listed on my/our personal return.

Depreciation Questions:

• I can only see Assessed Values on the Tax website back to 2015. I emailed them requesting 2011. I found 2010 in my closing documents:

LAND 26,000
    IMPROVEMENT 89,100
    TOTAL VALUE 115,100
    Which puts the land value around 22.5% so I could use that ratio x Purchase Price.

First of all - THANK YOU!!!

I edited the quote above to only include where I responded.

One additional "macro" question about Cost Basis - If this is a long term rental (10+ years), is it better to have a larger or smaller cost basis?

I appreciate your help.
No problem. My mind wanders during the pandemic and sometimes it's more fun to hang out on Texags than crank out spreadsheets.

I've always had an escrow so I'm not sure how the 2018/2019 thing works. My assumption would be that the timing of the payments is irrelevant and you can only deduct property tax payments related to that calendar year. So no, 2018 taxes paid in 2019 would not be deductible on your 2019 tax return.

It sounds like the QJV and Qualified Business Income do not apply to you . . . more thoughts on this below . . .

Cost Basis - I think your 22.5% breakdown makes sense and is a conservative approach to the issue. I don't know that your larger/smaller question applies since determining the cost basis isn't supposed to be subjective. I think you need to choose a defendable approach (which you have) and stick with it. Macro, you want to show as little profit as possible, so a larger cost basis is better.

Take this for what it's worth . . . given that you and wife make good money, I would encourage you to be selective with your rental properties. Don't hold on to a rental property for sentimental value (e.g., you used to live there). Hold on to it because it makes sense from a monthly rental income standpoint, property value increase, etc. The fact that you lost $4,000 on a $1XX,XXX property means that your monthly rental income is low and needs to be increased. If the market doesn't allow for that, you should look at selling the property and find one that can generate a better monthly rental income.

Figure out what type of rental property investor you want to be. Maybe it's a guru of $100,000 to $150,000 houses because you know how to personally fix a bunch of stuff in a middle to lower middle class home. You might be dealing with a lower socio-economic person which comes with a rash of issues (late payments, drugs, destroying the place).

Single family detached housing property value returns are typically better than condos. I think you will be able to afford to get into several properties over the next 10 years. I can only afford to own 1 condo, although it rents and has appreciated really well. I encourage you to evaluate all the options and figure out the most profitable strategy. There is a Real Estate board with a few rental property studs that could assist.

30wedge
NRD09 said:

when I converted my primary residence to a rental (9 years ago) I'm pretty sure Quicken told us to use the current value of the house as the basis for depreciation, not what I paid for it (as it had appreciated quite a bit at that point). I believe we used the value of the building (not land) from the tax appraisal and it's auto-populated the 1/27.5 of the value each year since. Makes sense to me, as you have made a decision to use the property as an investment rather than sell it at that time. The basis at that time is what's important, not what you paid for it however many years ago.
edit: and a higher basis is better because 1/27.5*more is bigger than 1/27.5*less, meaning you get to deduct more each year for depreciation and have less positive income at the end of the year to pay taxes on
You should have used your actual basis rather than a higher fair market value for depreciation purposes
DonaldFDraper
AG
When you all mention "actual basis" - are you referencing the county tax appraisal at the time of purchase (4/2011) or when it was placed into service (3/2019)?

Fair market value is significantly higher than even appraised value right now.
DonaldFDraper
AG
@South Platte:

I appreciate the feedback and being challenged. I never want to be so committed to a path that I do not adjust when there are better options.

When removing the 2018 Property Tax payment, it was a loss of $-1043. That includes $2000 in repairs on the A/C, a drainage issue, and some misc. items that I had put off until we moved out.

I had to drop the rental rate $50 per month because the market was soft this spring due to Covid. I am $50-150 per month under market value right now. There is a house on the same street that is almost exactly the same floor plan and not as nice listed for $275 more than my current rate.

I project to basically be +/- $1000 for the year, which is right where I want to be since I don't get to realize any of the benefits given the income from our "day jobs"

When I bought the house in 2011, I purposely bought it with the intention to convert it into a rental. It was not the nicest house or in the trendiest neighborhood for a young, single guy but I felt it was a great deal and would be a good rental. 3/2 in an established neighborhood in the suburbs with highly rated schools.

Since then it has appreciated close to $100k without having to make any major updates simply based on the location and how depressed the market was at the time. In that, I have re-run the numbers multiple times on selling and it still makes sense as a rental long term.

I also like having it from an asset and income diversity perspective. We invest quite a bit into the market so a hard asset gives me some additional peace of mind.

No intention of selling for the foreseeable future. I plan to keep it as a long term rental properly and part of my retirement cash flow strategy. The mortgage will be paid off in ~6 years; it should conservatively cash flow $1000+ per month. My aggressive timeline to early retirement is 7-10 years.

I have another property that I do not make any business claims on because my mother is living in it. I will run the number when the time comes but it will likely be converted into a full time rental when she is no longer living there.

I hope to acquire a couple more but we'll see. I always have my eyes peeled for a deal but hard to find with current prices.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
30wedge said:

You should have used your actual basis rather than a higher fair market value for depreciation purposes

Ah, my bad, a quick Google shows you're right. Maybe that's what we did, and used the appraisal numbers to find the land/ house proportion. I do remember trying to remember/add up all the money i spent improving it when we were doing that first return so that was probably to add to initial price paid.
Sorry for misspeaking...
South Platte
DonaldFDraper said:

@South Platte:

I appreciate the feedback and being challenged. I never want to be so committed to a path that I do not adjust when there are better options.

When removing the 2018 Property Tax payment, it was a loss of $-1043. That includes $2000 in repairs on the A/C, a drainage issue, and some misc. items that I had put off until we moved out.

I had to drop the rental rate $50 per month because the market was soft this spring due to Covid. I am $50-150 per month under market value right now. There is a house on the same street that is almost exactly the same floor plan and not as nice listed for $275 more than my current rate.

I project to basically be +/- $1000 for the year, which is right where I want to be since I don't get to realize any of the benefits given the income from our "day jobs"

When I bought the house in 2011, I purposely bought it with the intention to convert it into a rental. It was not the nicest house or in the trendiest neighborhood for a young, single guy but I felt it was a great deal and would be a good rental. 3/2 in an established neighborhood in the suburbs with highly rated schools.

Since then it has appreciated close to $100k without having to make any major updates simply based on the location and how depressed the market was at the time. In that, I have re-run the numbers multiple times on selling and it still makes sense as a rental long term.

I also like having it from an asset and income diversity perspective. We invest quite a bit into the market so a hard asset gives me some additional peace of mind.

No intention of selling for the foreseeable future. I plan to keep it as a long term rental properly and part of my retirement cash flow strategy. The mortgage will be paid off in ~6 years; it should conservatively cash flow $1000+ per month. My aggressive timeline to early retirement is 7-10 years.

I have another property that I do not make any business claims on because my mother is living in it. I will run the number when the time comes but it will likely be converted into a full time rental when she is no longer living there.

I hope to acquire a couple more but we'll see. I always have my eyes peeled for a deal but hard to find with current prices.
Wow, that's really nice appreciation! Sorry, I think I misunderstood your net loss for 2019. Including the expenses on the Schedule after you moved out was smart, and paying it off in 6 years is going to be huge.

I love having the 1 rental property. I'd get more if I could!
DonaldFDraper
AG
Thanks! It's worked out better than I expected... So far.
DonaldFDraper
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

When you all mention "actual basis" - are you referencing the county tax appraisal at the time of purchase (4/2011) or when it was placed into service (3/2019)?

Fair market value is significantly higher than even appraised value right now.

Bumping this. I've spent more time Googling this evening and still can't find a clear answer

Any guidance is appreciated.
30wedge
NRD09 said:

30wedge said:

Ah, my bad, a quick Google shows you're right. Maybe that's what we did, and used the appraisal numbers to find the land/ house proportion. I do remember trying to remember/add up all the money i spent improving it when we were doing that first return so that was probably to add to initial price paid.
Sorry for misspeaking...
Not a problem. I often use the CAD values to proportion the property basis between land and improvements for purposes of depreciating the latter.
AgsnFly
AG
infinity ag said:

Huell Babineaux said:

infinity ag said:

I have heard of this con from many of my friends. Bad renters, etc.
What is the pro of owning physical property? It could be a con that makes you less mobile. Tax benefit? How much of it do you need to have a steady income?

You can leverage physical property via a loan. Leverage is a powerful and beneficial concept when backed by the safety of the physical asset.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
just like to note in this thread that paid-off rental properties generally perform pretty poorly in comparison to other investment vehicles. The beauty is when you only have 50k in equity tied up in a property, 250k mortgage at 3% and 2k/month rent. Then your net rent only has to beat 50k you would have had in the market or other investments. Paid off, net rent on that same property has to beat the 300k (or whatever the value of the home is) that you could have had in other investments. Basically real estate it's the cheapest way for individuals to borrow a ton of money at a low rate.

I'm in the same boat and thought it would be cool to have a totally paid off income producing property, and have dumped a lot of extra money into extra payments to try and get there, but now realize that I would be better off doing a cash-out refi for 80% of the value and putting that money elsewhere. But I probably won't because I still think it would be cool to own a house free and clear.
deadbq03
AG
Amen. I'm in the same boat and had the same idea. For reasons I won't explain, we had a ton of equity from a previous home sale but other financial factors made it such that our monthly income was going to be bad - like can't even pay rent bad. So we bought a small cash house and made it work. Finances became much more settled a few years later so we moved into a better house and decided to rent out the cash house.

That was Dec 2017 (tenant arrived Feb 2018). I'm doing my taxes right now and hating life. Not only is it hard, but running the numbers shows how poor of an ROE it is. If I was retirement age, I'd probably like the safe income, but for me right now, it's not worth it long-term.

But for the next year, I've got a good tenant and the markets are shaky to say the least, so I'm kinda glad, but I fully recognize this is more of a luck thing. Long term I plan to get out once my current tenant wants to leave.

All that said, I am half-considering offering it to them as an owner-financer. They take care of it and always pay on time (and she's a nurse so job is pretty safe) but I think they're light years away from owning a house under traditional lending due to horrific student loans.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
deadbq03 said:

All that said, I am half-considering offering it to them as an owner-financer. They take care of it and always pay on time (and she's a nurse so job is pretty safe) but I think they're light years away from owning a house under traditional lending due to horrific student loans.
This is brilliant and probably what I may do with mine. There are outfits that serve as intermediaries on these arrangements for a flat $25/month, pretty cheap way to put a little distance between yourself and them if things go south.
DonaldFDraper
AG
There are a lot of variables to consider and it is going to be property specific for how much you could pull out and rates (mortgage rate, market ROI, rental rate, etc.).

Not to mention non-quantifiable variables like risk tolerance, asset diversification, life changes, etc.

I've run some analysis on the Cash Out topic for my situation. Assuming you invest the profits into the market and accounting of equity at the respective point in time for either scenario:

In the first 10-15 years, a Cash Out beats staying on the pay it off path.

After around 15 years, the paid off rental + investing the profits beats cashing out. Plus a lot less committed expenses.

Ironically - The winner over 30 years is selling and investing the lump sum into the market and assuming 7%.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.