Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Your FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) Number?

31,831 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ulrich
halfastros81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was shooting for $3MM at 60. Might make it by 62.
WaynerAg03
Cyp... can you share any additional info regarding your #3?

"3) Purchasing small royalty interest packages to have commodity exposure"

What you look for in terms of return, or other metric?
Where to look for such packages or how to purchase?

Thanks!
GE
AG
There is no number because I have no intention of retiring early. If anything it would be something along the lines of making a few million then either quitting and going into business for myself or pursuing a more directly impactful or interesting line of work.

Retire early, die early.
Cyp0111
PM me and I'll provide info. To date it's a small percentage but something I'm looking to grow
12thAngryMan
AG
GE said:

There is no number because I have no intention of retiring early. If anything it would be something along the lines of making a few million then either quitting and going into business for myself or pursuing a more directly impactful or interesting line of work.

Retire early, die early.
Is your main drive to work truly to live longer? If not, do you identify yourself by your work or simply enjoy working?
WaynerAg03
I don't have any stars, but my email is screen name at yahoo.
redag06
I know quite a few folks in their 90's pushing 100, and every single one of them "retired early"

Just saying.
Post removed:
by user
The Original AG 76
AG
One of the most common topics us old retired folks talk about at our geriatric-fests is..........
" I never realized how little money I really spend now. If I would have known this at age { fill in the blank..usually 5-6 years before they really retired} I would have quit a lot sooner. "

Of course there are some minimums and life styles to consider but , in reality do you really need to work ( at a job you probably are sick to death of by now) those extra years to add in another $xxx,xxx to the account ? PLEEEEEASE remember that once you hit your 60's a NORMAL guy ( not a Jack LaLanne freak) has about 15 MAYBE 20 years left to do whatever it is that he wants. An honest look at your older friend and relatives will show that by age 75ish , maybe a bit older, you no longer see the desire to travel, epic hunts or fishing expeditions, golf daily whatever.....you really dont buy that much. what ANOTHER car , giga screen TV, clothes ..nope. Health care sure but , unlike the scare crap and sensational idiocy you read or hear, medicare plus supplement does a pretty good job. Sure for the 1% who gets some rare cancer or malady it may be uber expensive but for damn near everyone I have ever known the last 10 years or so of end of life have NOT been the financial catastrophy we are constantly warned about.
In short...retire as soon as possible and be reasonable about your $$ needs. DO NOT trade precious years for $$$$ that you will never spend.
The Wonderer
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

One of the most common topics us old retired folks talk about at our geriatric-fests is..........
" I never realized how little money I really spend now. If I would have known this at age { fill in the blank..usually 5-6 years before they really retired} I would have quit a lot sooner. "

Of course there are some minimums and life styles to consider but , in reality do you really need to work ( at a job you probably are sick to death of by now) those extra years to add in another $xxx,xxx to the account ? PLEEEEEASE remember that once you hit your 60's a NORMAL guy ( not a Jack LaLanne freak) has about 15 MAYBE 20 years left to do whatever it is that he wants. An honest look at your older friend and relatives will show that by age 75ish , maybe a bit older, you no longer see the desire to travel, epic hunts or fishing expeditions, golf daily whatever.....you really dont buy that much. what ANOTHER car , giga screen TV, clothes ..nope. Health care sure but , unlike the scare crap and sensational idiocy you read or hear, medicare plus supplement does a pretty good job. Sure for the 1% who gets some rare cancer or malady it may be uber expensive but for damn near everyone I have ever known the last 10 years or so of end of life have NOT been the financial catastrophy we are constantly warned about.
In short...retire as soon as possible and be reasonable about your $$ needs. DO NOT trade precious years for $$$$ that you will never spend.
Boats 'n' hoes ain't going to just magically buy themselves.
The Original AG 76
AG
12thAngryMan said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.
Is your main drive to work truly to live longer? If not, do you identify yourself by your work or simply enjoy working?
At one time..in a time long long ago in a land far far away....I USED to admire the guys who worked well into the golden years and spewed all the stuff about retire early die early..dedication to work, we live to work, blah blah blah....
And then I started to attend their FUNERALS ! I heard multiple stories from their families about the missed vacations, kids baseball games, grandkids events..while the old man worked. I saw lots of pent up anger and regret at the dead guy. I npw look at those guys as pathetic no life losers. Nothing to admire. No life ..no memories....and unless they are some business owner who built the wonder company and it bears his name....NO ONE AT WORK REMEMBERS HIM AT ALL in just a few short years !
The Original AG 76
AG
The Wonderer said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Boats 'n' hoes ain't going to just magically buy themselves.
boats maybe but HOES !!! You obviously dont know much bout getting OLD !!!! There is a great truism about memory is the SECOND thing to GO !!!!!!
AgBank
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

boats maybe but HOES !!! You obviously dont know much bout getting OLD !!!! There is a great truism about memory is the SECOND thing to GO !!!!!!
So if I don't have to save for HOES, then that really accelerates my retirement age. My wife will be happy to hear this.
jeffdjohnson
50 year supply of bulk Ramen Noodles = 25k
Tiny House = 30k
2 acres of rural land = 5k
Solar panels, dig a well, miscellaneous = 10k
FIRE = 70k
Cyp0111
America.
FrioAg 00
AG
GE said:

Retire early, die early.

I have a version of this, I just refer to it as retirement. I have zero intention of sitting around and watching the grass grow once I stop selling my time for money.

Those that struggle to replace "work" with meaningful engagement and interaction often do so because they wait until they are "old" before attempting it. At 50 I believe pretty firmly I'll have a lot of interesting and meaningful things to pour my time into (including about 16 grandkids)
stxag8
AG
Just started my FIRE journey (23). Cool to know there are a group of like minded Ags. Like a lot of y'all I subscribe to r/financialindependence and listen to podcasts daily. I'm looking forward to checking this thread as well
Dr T and the Women
AG
The goal is ten million by 50. I like working so I won't retire but I won't work as hard
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Original AG 76
AG
Here is a site with some very active forums dedicated to FIRE . Lots of great info and discussions.
http://www.early-retirement.org/
Boat Shoes
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

50 year supply of bulk Ramen Noodles = 25k
Tiny House = 30k
2 acres of rural land = 5k
Solar panels, dig a well, miscellaneous = 10k
FIRE = 70k

I'm continually amazed at how much some of those tiny houses cost. Last night on HGTV a dude paid $100k for his. WTF?
claym711
AG
So much of this is dependent upon a bull market over next 20 years. Market won't go up forever, and much of recent price appreciation can be attributed to Corp buybacks - which will start to phase out as interest rates creep.
dlp3719
AG
I know so many people who plan to retire early but so few people who are there. Is anyone already there who can share what life is like?

1) I know one guy who is a big runner that retired at 54. He and his wife travel a lot. He had a couple million in 401k/brokerage but then got a couple million in inheriterence and called it. Not super early but somewhat early. He keeps himself busy. His biggest complaint is constant changes in healthcare and trying to keep a policy.

2) work colleague is 46, never married, no kids, paid for house and has crossed $2million. He is very cheap/frugal. Lives on $50k-$60k and could clearly retire (always been his goal) but hasn't. He feels like he needs more which I just don't understand.

I think the idea of FIRE is awesome but I think most don't have a plan for what they will do once they hit their number.
Ragoo
AG
My dad retired at 56, 40 years to the day with the same company. Worked in the warehouse in high school and college then moved into a sales role after graduation. He actually ended up retiring about 6-8 years late due to the 2008 market downturn and some health issues with my sister at the same time.

He was fortunate to work for a private company that set aside 15% of his yearly pay into an ESOP account that grew on average 15% a year.

I hope to walk away around 50 and would like to be at 2.5MM.
GE
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.

I have a version of this, I just refer to it as retirement. I have zero intention of sitting around and watching the grass grow once I stop selling my time for money.

Those that struggle to replace "work" with meaningful engagement and interaction often do so because they wait until they are "old" before attempting it. At 50 I believe pretty firmly I'll have a lot of interesting and meaningful things to pour my time into (including about 16 grandkids)
Fair enough and this is what I meant. In conversation I hear a lot of people talk about retirement as a lot of golf, vacation, and spending time with loved ones, but that's no long term solution.
The Original AG 76
AG
GE said:

FrioAg 00 said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.

Fair enough and this is what I meant. In conversation I hear a lot of people talk about retirement as a lot of golf, vacation, and spending time with loved ones, but that's no long term solution.
ummmmmm..yes it IS !
GE
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

GE said:

FrioAg 00 said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.

ummmmmm..yes it IS !
I dont see it but based on your handle you might be there so fair enough. I'm 30 and work a job where I could realistically retire at 45 or 50 and be fine, but sitting here now dont think that would be good for me. I've always found accomplishing something difficult more meaningfully engaging than most of that other stuff.
The Original AG 76
AG
GE said:

The Original AG 76 said:

GE said:

FrioAg 00 said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.

ummmmmm..yes it IS !
I dont see it but based on your handle you might be there so fair enough. I'm 30 and work a job where I could realistically retire at 45 or 50 and be fine, but sitting here now dont think that would be good for me. I've always found accomplishing something difficult more meaningfully engaging than most of that other stuff.
I understand ..at 30 we didn't even know how to spell tirement. We actually thought we were making a difference and our work was of some long term importance or benefit of mankind or womankind or klingonkind....... Give it 35 years and I will bet you $1,000,000 cash that you will see it my way. OF course I wont be here to pay up but you can dream....
GE
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

GE said:

The Original AG 76 said:

GE said:

FrioAg 00 said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.

ummmmmm..yes it IS !
I understand ..at 30 we didn't even know how to spell tirement. We actually thought we were making a difference and our work was of some long term importance or benefit of mankind or womankind or klingonkind....... Give it 35 years and I will bet you $1,000,000 cash that you will see it my way. OF course I wont be here to pay up but you can dream....
You don't think that now? And why is long term the appropriate time frame to consider? Long term is made of a stack of short term. In 200 years every one you have ever met and everyone you will ever meet will be long dead and it's highly likely very few, if any, people will even remember your name. But that doesn't mean what you did here wasn't significant. You carry the baton for your leg of the race and when you hand it off we are further down the road than when you started.

The Original AG 76
AG
GE said:

The Original AG 76 said:

GE said:

The Original AG 76 said:

GE said:

FrioAg 00 said:

GE said:

Retire early, die early.

ummmmmm..yes it IS !
You don't think that now? And why is long term the appropriate time frame to consider? Long term is made of a stack of short term. In 200 years every one you have ever met and everyone you will ever meet will be long dead and it's highly likely very few, if any, people will even remember your name. But that doesn't mean what you did here wasn't significant. You carry the baton for your leg of the race and when you hand it off we are further down the road than when you started.

you are absolutely correct. I hope you continue to pursue your dreams and work hard...your drive and dedication is what makes things work. At 30, if you are to be successful,it is vital that you strive for excellence and wake up every day driven to make a difference and a significant contribution to our world...seriously

See me in 35 years
GE
SW AG80
AG
I am glad this conversation picked back up. As I grow older, I agree with what Original Ag has said. I am looking at the financial aspect a little differently. I will retire 2 years from this month, at the age of 63, with a net monthly income of about $14,000. This is without touching any of our retirement accounts until the tax code says we have to. We will still be paying a small mortgage on our gameday house in Aggieland but will have built debt free (I believe) our retirement home on the Guadalupe River.

We plan on traveling a lot while we can. Hopefully we will have 10-12 years of good health that will allow us to travel. As I hit 60 I quit living for work and now am limping to the finish line. There are lots of things we want to see and do in this life that a work schedule does not allow. I am ready for this next stage of life.
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm 26. Single. No debt, nice income.

Just for s & g's $10MM. Completely arbitrary number.
The Original AG 76
AG
SW AG80 said:

I am glad this conversation picked back up. As I grow older, I agree with what Original Ag has said. I am looking at the financial aspect a little differently. I will retire 2 years from this month, at the age of 63, with a net monthly income of about $14,000. This is without touching any of our retirement accounts until the tax code says we have to. We will still be paying a small mortgage on our gameday house in Aggieland but will have built debt free (I believe) our retirement home on the Guadalupe River.

We plan on traveling a lot while we can. Hopefully we will have 10-12 years of good health that will allow us to travel. As I hit 60 I quit living for work and now am limping to the finish line. There are lots of things we want to see and do in this life that a work schedule does not allow. I am ready for this next stage of life.
got me thinking ..
when we were 30 I cant remember even spending a single moment or brain cell ( those that survived the mass quantities of beer we drank EVERY nite) on retirement. 35 years ago retirement was something that we heard our grandparents mention ( if they were retired) and it usually simply meant going back to the family farm or small Texas town. Our dad's were still working ( most mothers did NOT work) but we weren't sure what they were going to do. Retirement type accounts didnt really exist. 401(k) were in their infancy and I simply dont remember one even being offered. We all had to go to some personnel dept thing and hear some clerk drone about some form of company pension or something plan BUT that was 100 years from now and we simply didnt care. It wasnt that we were in some kinda swoon or trance about the wonders of work it was just thats all there was. Live and work for today....
OHHHHHHHH how I wish we did have the awareness that young uns have about finances and the need to rat hole away $$$$ for the so-called golden years. Most of us didnt become aware of any need until we hit our mid-40's when 401(k) became all the rage and suddenly we awoke to the new reality of instant layoffs, the old guys who showed us the ropes and mentored us ( you know the ones who gave their ALL including 8 day a week at work thinking they actually were important or part of the work family ) being thrown out on the street after 40 years at the salt mine with NOTHING to show except the boot print on their butts from the HR punk who escorted them thru the gate.......that was our grand awakening
I look back at the 40 years and I see nothing but a job and waaaaaaaaaaay too much time spend at it. I traded hours for dollars. I did well and intend to spend whatever I have left doing as much OR AS LITTLE as I like doing exactly what I want INCLUDING reading a damn book on the back porch ALL FRIGGIN DAY ALL FRIGGIN WEEK !!!!
halfastros81
AG
What % of preretirement spending do you think is prudent in retirement. Obviously it varies from person to person and family to family and based on age but I like to get a feel from those that are actually retired. I believe I pretty high % applies from 60-70 yrs of age and then a much
Lower % thereafter.
Ulrich
When I say "retire", I really mean "pursue a different career that is more of a passion but doesn't pay like this one". I doubt I'll ever stop trying to bring in money through productive activity, but I do expect that at some point it'll become more about the activity than the money. I also want to travel the US and the world for months at a time which isn't really possible on the hamster wheel.

The only power i want is the option to walk away from everything with no worries about paying the bills.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.