Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Your FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) Number?

31,287 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ulrich
Boat Shoes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you targeting early retirement, or financial independence and working for yourself, what's your number and what age are you considering? Personally I'm shooting for $3MM and 45.
RangerRick9211
AG
$2.5MM at 40 with the house paid off.

Currently well on pace, but adding our first money sucker to the family in 4 months. So we'll see how the transition from DINKs impacts things.

R/financialindependence has been a fun FIRE community to participate in for anyone interested.
Ed Carter
AG
I used to play with these calculations all the time before all my sex trophies showed up. The reality is I won't retire till all the kids are out of the house seeing as how they literally make up half of my budget. I could probably retire before then but I wouldn't feel comfortable...better to wait till all of them are financially established and off the teet
AgBank
AG
"sex trophies"

LOL
AgBank
AG
10 to 15 million, 4 million in after tax in liquid securities. 529s with 80k.
Maybe my 50s? I am slowly ramping.
Sandman98
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

$2.5MM at 40 with the house paid off.

Currently well on pace, but adding our first money sucker to the family in 4 months. So we'll see how the transition from DINKs impacts things.

R/financialindependence has been a fun FIRE community to participate in for anyone interested.

I hope that "money sucker" is who makes you realize how boring you sound when you talk about online FIRE communities.
wessimo
AG
AgBank said:

10 to 15 million, 4 million in after tax in liquid securities. 529s with 80k.
Maybe my 50s? I am slowly ramping.

Username checks out.

aggiefan2002
Great question. I'm on track to have $11k a month in passive real estate income when I turn 45. But that's also the year kid number one of four starts college. So I plan to work at least until 53 to get all the kids through college using that real estate income. But after that I'd like to be done. We can live off 11-12k a month with no kids, and by the time I'm 70 we will own 15 rent houses free and clear that should generate 20k a month and be worth 4-5 milllion if I chose to sell.
wessimo
AG
Judging from increased media coverage in recent years it seems like FIRE is going mainstream.

It will be interesting to see if it has a noticable impact on the workplace and the economy.
FrioAg 00
AG
$10M, but that includes $2M in paid for real estate and $2M locked up in retirement accounts

$6M at 3% post-tax and post inflation reinvestment rate will provide $15k per month budget.

I have a specific target date when the last 2 kids move out for college (50), so if I overshoot the number before that date I'll stick with the date and buy a bigger farm.

I'm also willing to go into "overtime" for a few years if my kids want to make certain career choices like mission work or other non-monetary things. I'm happy to work a few extra years to endow part of their lifestyle if it's for the right reasons.
Ag13
AG
wessimo said:

Judging from increased media coverage in recent years it seems like FIRE is going mainstream.

It will be interesting to see if it has a noticable impact on the workplace and the economy.

I doubt it because while it's a good idea the majority of Americans still have little to no savings. I would think those that can even sniff fire are in the top 1% when it comes to savings.
aggiehunter3
AG
more
nactownag
AG
5 million at age 55
TwoMarksHand
AG
30X whatever my expenses happen to be when I'm 50 or so. Right now I'm sitting at just under 60k expenses per year, which is 1.8MM. But, with two youngsters and more to come, and moving to a bigger house on some land, our yearly expenses will increase quite a bit. 3MM is probably my retirement number in today's dollars, this is after all the kids are graduated and on their own.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Ag13 said:

wessimo said:

I doubt it because while it's a good idea the majority of Americans still have little to no savings. I would think those that can even sniff fire are in the top 1% when it comes to savings.
Financial independence means saving 25x what your yearly expenses. Now everyone might not be able to save that much over 20-40 years, but I'd be willing to bet that 80% of Americans could if they wanted.

Key thing is if they want to.
Cyp0111
I don't have a FIRE number per se just a number that I would feel comfortable stepping away from the corporate grind and taking risks on next career.

3.0 MM in liquid investments/cash.
$1.0MM in retirement accounts
$1.5MM in Real Estate (rental properties) minimal debt
$100K in 529s

Cow Calf operation producing an acceptable return to cover a few added costs.

Primary residence either largely paid for or very manageable payments

Health Insurance will be the big issue/concern.
mwp02ag
AG
Ag13 said:

wessimo said:

I'm a bit more generous, I say 3% are on their way to financial freedom. As Jim Rohn always said "Walk away from the 97%, it's crowded at the bottom. There is plenty of room at the top.". Further, I and my wife are living proof that anyone is capable of learning and growing wealth.

We are shooting for $20k/month in rental property, investment and business income by 2020. I will be 45. We just hired a business coach to help us get there faster.
94chem
6 kids. Work IS where I go for independence.
Wife is an Aggie
$200K/yr at 3.5% withdrawal rate = $5.7M

AggiEE
Only need about 40k tops, so 1MM
Ag13
AG
Wife is an Aggie said:

$200K/yr at 3.5% withdrawal rate = $5.7M

Just curious - are your expenses really 200k a year or are you just using a higher number to play it super safe?
FrioAg 00
AG
Good question, especially if you are assuming you live in paid for real estate

My $15k per month budget is ultra conservative and considers spending about 1/3 of each year traveling
752bro4
AG
What types of investments are you guys looking into or involved in that will bridge the gap from retirement to when you can withdrawal from 401k/IRAs? Our biggest hurdle will those 12 +/- years.

Cash-flowing real estate is the obvious/easy answer. Any other sort of post-tax investment strategies?
TwoMarksHand
AG
752bro4 said:

What types of investments are you guys looking into or involved in that will bridge the gap from retirement to when you can withdrawal from 401k/IRAs? Our biggest hurdle will those 12 +/- years.

Cash-flowing real estate is the obvious/easy answer. Any other sort of post-tax investment strategies?

There are ways to pull out your retirement account $ without paying penalties. IRA Ladder
Cyp0111
I'm planning my bridge to retirement accounts around the following:

1) 3 Fund Portfolio (simple, low cost 60/40 split)
2) Income Producing Real Estate with the goal of strong cash flow generation by 45-47
3) Purchasing small royalty interest packages to have commodity exposure
4) 2 Years of living expenses in cash/MM to prevent sequence of return risk on front end given long time horizon. This could be allocated more aggressively in TIPS, Treasuries as yield dictates.
Post removed:
by user
Wife is an Aggie
No, not even close... Probably a 4th of that.

That is my want number. My need number is substantially less than that.
Ed Carter
AG
I'm curious, what rate of return do you guys use for your retirement planning? I'm using 3% real For long term planning
TwoMarksHand
AG
Ed Carter said:

I'm curious, what rate of return do you guys use for your retirement planning? I'm using 3% real For long term planning
Return in the market? I think the S&P has returned 10% over the long term including inflation.

I use 6% return. Buffett says to expect 6-7%.
Quinn
AG
Do you guys have a retirement calculator or excel spreadsheet that y'all like to use? Doesn't have to be FIRE related, moreso looking for something general.
The Wonderer
AG
AgBank said:

"sex trophies"

LOL
Would you prefer the term "crotch fruit"?
Wife is an Aggie
I have a long ways to go (both time & money) before I can even dream of retirement but to give myself a rough idea of how much I'd like to have saved & how much I need to save/invest per year I just do the following.

Desired annual income/spend in retirement divided by withdrawal rate. 4% is pretty typical but to be safe you should be using 3-3.5% especially if retiring early.

Then to give myself an idea of how much I need to save per year to hit that number I just use the PMT formula in excel.

Example:

Jimbo graduates college & wants to retire in 30 years with $2.5M. He has $0 starting balance and will assume 6% rate of return. He needs to invest $31.6K/yr to hit his goal.

=PMT(6%,30,0,-2500000,0) = $31,622/yr

TexasAg21
The Wonderer said:

AgBank said:

"sex trophies"

LOL
Post removed:
by user
WoMD
SoupNazi2001 said:

TexasAg21 said:

The Wonderer said:

AgBank said:

"sex trophies"

LOL

My brother always used the term leeches as they suck your time, money, energy and your wife's sex drive away.

Im seeing lots of arguments towards DINKism on this thread...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.