Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Office Keurig machine etiquette?

16,483 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Burdizzo
Change Detection
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People seriously get upset because K-cup was left in the brewer? 1st world problems. It's not like they have to clean out grounds and reload a full pot-maker....literally takes 5 seconds to pull and throw away.

I occasionally leave the k-cup in the maker because I was chatting with someone or trying to find the crap I put in my coffee because someone else used it. I don't cry when I change out the cup...really is not upsetting.

They can find some BS rule to try a fire me over K-cip etiquette I suppose, I 'll just take the Kuerig unit I donated that everybody uses.
94chem
OP needs to volunteer in the church nursery, or a nursing home, or change a litter box, or do some mission work in Central America, and he won't be so uptight about a used K-cup.
BMX Bandit
Change Detection said:

People seriously get upset because K-cup was left in the brewer? 1st world problems. It's not like they have to clean out grounds and reload a full pot-maker....literally takes 5 seconds to pull and throw away.

I occasionally leave the k-cup in the maker because I was chatting with someone or trying to find the crap I put in my coffee because someone else used it. I don't cry when I change out the cup...really is not upsetting.

They can find some BS rule to try a fire me over K-cip etiquette I suppose, I 'll just take the Kuerig unit I donated that everybody uses.

Are you a sloth?
Change Detection
AG
Hop on your tricycle and ride away
chris1515
AG
94chem said:

OP needs to volunteer in the church nursery, or a nursing home, or change a litter box, or do some mission work in Central America, and he won't be so uptight about a used K-cup.

It is an insanely immaterial inconvenience for sure. I posted the thread mostly in jest.

Although, to be fair, I think people who leave the cup in there are more likely to apply the same level of conscientiousness to the rest of their job as well.
Texaggie7nine
#YESSIR! said:

If you have to have pods, might as well go with far superior Nespresso.
After spending a month in Europe, I can't agree more. They throw themselves away and they make REAL cafe. I'm done with coffee flavored water.
7nine
JSKolache
AG
On average, I make a pot of coffee for every 1 cup I drink in the office. Every office has coffee gremlins and has since the dawn of beans. Technology hasn't changed reality.

We even have a policy written that if you drink the last cup in the pot you have to make the next one -- still no one follows through...

But at least it's real coffee & not that K cup junk...!
Ulrich
JSKolache said:

On average, I make a pot of coffee for every 1 cup I drink in the office. Every office has coffee gremlins and has since the dawn of beans. Technology hasn't changed reality.

We even have a policy written that if you drink the last cup in the pot you have to make the next one -- still no one follows through...

You kill the joe, you make some mo! That ain't new, baby.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Ulrich said:

JSKolache said:

You kill the joe, you make some mo! That ain't new, baby.
This is a far more serious offense than a silly kcup thing, because if you need a cup before your next meeting and someone left the pot empty you don't have time to let it brew. but it only takes a few seconds to start the next pot. Recently someone in our office has started killing the pot without starting the next one, i would normally assume it was regular inattentiveness but they turn off the hot plate too so as not to scald the last drops to the bottom of the pot. if you are that aware, you know you killed the pot. that is acceptable behavior if it is 3 or 4 in the afternoon, don't want to make a whole new pot that likely won't be consumed, but it has occurred before 10 am both yesterday and today, i believe that should be a fire able offense.
birdman
I worked on commercial fishing boats years ago. We consumed coffee by the gallon. We had one guy who drank the last cup, didn't start the next one, and got caught.

The captain demoted him to "coffee boy". He was responsible for the coffee machine for remaining two weeks of the trip. We fished around the clock, so we likely went through 24 pots per day.

I could drink the last cup and yell "you're up coffee boy". He would have to run in there and make the next batch. He also had to clean everybody's mugs.

It was very effective lesson. He never made that mistake again. You might try it at your office.
wessimo
AG
Anybody who thinks K Cup coffee is drinkable deserves torment.
boboguitar
AG
wessimo said:

/r/gatekeeping
wbt5845
AG
wessimo said:

oldarmy1
AG
I don't drink coffee but this thread is all kinds of great.
gif
Stop being a poor and get one that is plumbed in and automatically dispenses the used pod. Cut a hole in your counter, place trash can below and chute machine so the pod goes straight into the trash.
Get it right or pay the price!
Squirrel Master
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

I feel like I have just wasted 30 seconds of my life that I will never get back by reading this thread.

Welcome to Texags. I've wasted many entire days of my life here that I'll never get back.
Ciboag96
Hot KCups can burn you. Do preference would be to leave them to cool a little before tossing them.
madcuz
AG
I expect to throw away one empty k cup per use. If it from the previous user, fine. Toss it, make your cup and go. If there was not a used one in the machine, then I throw mine away.
Burdizzo
AG
I am always amazed at how something so simple can bring out the jackass in people.

We had a "coffee club" in our area of our company. The person in charge of it rotated around between people. Some people paid a monthly due, others paid by the cup. It was all very informal and on the honor system... Until one person ran it and turned into a real jerk. She was a short, angry, woman with self esteem issues. The cost of a cup of coffee went from $0.25 up to $0.50 which irritated a bunch of people (supposedly because it was losing money and she didn't think she should cover the deficit) Every month she would go harrangue people for their monthly dues. The spare coffee was hidden under lock and key for fear it might get wasted, so when the supply near the coffee machine ran out we had to track her down to get more. Since it was on the honor system people were expected to chip in when they got a cup and make change from the kitty. There were several instances where I didn't have correct change so I just overpaid and let it go. The one time I didn't have correct change or a $1 she saw me take a cup without paying and then accused everyone on my side of the floor of stealing coffee. It go so bad the upper level management had to step in and remove her from the unofficial coffee club. When she turned over the money box there was about $150 of surplus funds she hadn't spent (this was about a $40/month operation). Management threw in a couple of $20s and announced coffee would be free for the next few months.

When that was over they asked for a volunteer to run it. I stepped up and immediately dropped it to $0.25/cup and bought better coffee instead of the dreck she had been buying. Sales went up, and we ran about $1-$2/ budget surplus. I also stored excess coffee in the break room so people wouldn't come bother me if they needed more. My only complaint was that some smartass thought they would be funny and put a bunch of pennies in the kitty. Things were going good until some jackass stole about $50 worth of coffee from the cabinet.

Eff that. Someone else can run the coffee club.
boboguitar
AG
Sounds like your company should just pay for coffee.
Burdizzo
AG
They should. They paid for some nice three burner Bunn coffee machines, but the employees have to cover the coffee. We don't want the non-coffee drinkers to feel like they are missing out on a benefit.

I don't work at that place anymore. That kind kind of pettiness is one thing I don't miss about the place.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.