Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Office Keurig machine etiquette?

16,747 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Burdizzo
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the proper etiquette for disposing of the k-cup after use? Do you leave it in the machine for the next person to dispose of, with the assumption that you should always have to dispose of someone else's whenever you open the machine? Or should everyone dispose of their own immediately after use?

I'm personally of the opinion that we need a hidden camera to identify those folks who leave the cup behind after use and fire them immediately. If they cut corners on such an immaterial task, imagine the laziness and otherwise poor effort they exhibit in the rest of their job...but that's just me.
leoj
AG
This cracks me up. Definitely should be thrown away by the person using it.
TwoMarksHand
AG
WTF? It's your trash, put it in the trash.
Furlock Bones
AG
yes, you should remove your k cup immediately.
johnson2012
AG
Surprised the "K-cup bad, I always French press/whatever other method" police haven't shown up.

And obviously, if you brew it you throw it away
IrishTxAggie
AG
johnson2012 said:

Surprised the "K-cup bad, I always French press/whatever other method" police haven't shown up.

And obviously, if you brew it you throw it away

MaroonStain
AG
I am glad I found this thread this morning.

I have a question too. When I use the restroom, do I flush the toilet or leave it for the next person?

TIA!
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
i don't really care either way because most k cups i've tried are gross, and they don't brew a large enough cup of coffee, but another perspective, in a regular drip pot, when you brew a new pot do you immediately discard the filter and used grounds, or do you leave them in the basket until the next pot needs to be brewed? because if the later, i could see the argument that a kcup is the same thing just on a smaller scale.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Throw it away for the same reason you flush your turds in the bathroom vs. leaving them for the next guy.
double aught
AG
Ideally, yes, everyone should dispose of their own cup. However, this rule opens up the possibility of abuse of the system. While everyone else is playing fair and disposing of their cup, some lazy ass can walk in, find an empty coffee maker, make his/her own cup, and walk off.

If the opposite rule (throw away the previous cup and leave your own) is agreed upon, then everyone is forced to put in an equal amount of effort. You must dispose of exactly one cup in order to make one.

Personally, if I find something that needs to be thrown away, I throw it away and move on. I used to get irritated by such things, but life's too short.
CoachFisher
AG
I worked in an office where the person that found the empty cup in the machine would walk the entire office to find the perpetrator. Once the bad actor was found they would interrupt their work and make them (perpetrator) walk back to the machine and throw their cup away. Needless to say I do not work there anymore.
The Pilot
AG
CoachFisher said:

I worked in an office where the person that found the empty cup in the machine would walk the entire office to find the perpetrator. Once the bad actor was found they would interrupt their work and make them (perpetrator) walk back to the machine and throw their cup away. Needless to say I do not work there anymore.
Florida State?
FincAg
AG
Our office has the model with its own waste basket. So after your K cup is brewed most people walk away leaving the cup in its place, punctured with the needle still in the cup. When you open to place a new K cup in position, the action of lifting the handle removes to old K cup and drops it into a disposal container within the machine.

I always raise the handle to discard my own cup which I thought was the most sanitary seeing as it opens the machine up to air and you don't leave a wet K cup sitting in the needle waiting for another user.
khkman22
AG
MaroonStain said:

I am glad I found this thread this morning.

I have a question too. When I use the restroom, do I flush the toilet or leave it for the next person?

TIA!
Username checks out
aggiebrad94
AG
The empty k-cup is not like a cup someone drank out of or a toilet someone used. There are no bodily fluids on it. I always expect to find a k-cup there and throw it away without issue.
Burdizzo
AG
Two things used to irritate me about our Keurig.

1. People too lazy to throw out their K-cups. I also used to head the head open to let it air out so the mildew didn't grow.

2. People too inconsiderate to refill the reservoir even though the damn blue light was flashing.

We had an airhead in our office propose that we rip open used containers so that we could compost the coffee grounds and recycle the plastic. We told her she could start doing that and set a good example for the rest of us. That initiative died in less than an hour.
suburban cowboy
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

The empty k-cup is not like a cup someone drank out of or a toilet someone used. There are no bodily fluids on it. I always expect to find a k-cup there and throw it away without issue.

Agree here. But then again, my office is too cheap to own a Keurig. We rent a "Real Cup" machine that burns your coffee and spits it out like explosive diarrhea.
CS78
Throw the whole thing in the trash. Nobody wants to smell that stinking mess and your bad breath.
Seven Costanza
AG
The lounge in my office has one of those reusable k-cups that you have to manually fill with coffee grounds. If you want to use it, you nearly always have to scoop out the old soaked grounds of the previous brew first.
MemorialTXAg
If you have to have pods, might as well go with far superior Nespresso.
62strat
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

in a regular drip pot, when you brew a new pot do you immediately discard the filter and used grounds, or do you leave them in the basket until the next pot needs to be brewed?
End of thread.
FincAg
AG
New pot takes 5+ minutes to brew? K cup takes 10 seconds?

Yeah that's sound logic to me.
aduey06
Any office worth a dam has a one that automatically puts the cup into the waste bin.
gig em 02
You cant tell who is coming in your office and using your keurig?
TRADUCTOR
discard the used cup, make your coffee, and shutup
Premium
AG
FincAg said:

Burdizzo
AG
Premium said:

FincAg said:

Not pumpkin spice.
combat wombat™
AG
law-apt-3g said:

discard the used cup, make your coffee, and shutup

I know. Who cares, right?
leoj
AG
Automatically dispenses the cup into the trash? I have to suggest a purchase for our office now...
boboguitar
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

i don't really care either way because most k cups i've tried are gross, and they don't brew a large enough cup of coffee, but another perspective, in a regular drip pot, when you brew a new pot do you immediately discard the filter and used grounds, or do you leave them in the basket until the next pot needs to be brewed? because if the later, i could see the argument that a kcup is the same thing just on a smaller scale.

Yes you throw away the filter and grinds. Mold starts growing in a day in those grinds. Don't wait for the next person.
Engine10
AG
Y'all are doing it wrong. We have a free throw line in the coffee room and a backboard on the trash can.

Don't take life too seriously.
kcag96
AG
I don't particularly care who throws the cup out, but it pisses me off when someone throws their cup away and leaves the compartment open, all before the machine has started to pump water into the brewer for the next cup. Lift the handle to remove the cup once the pump has started, otherwise leave the damn thing alone.
AgsnFly
AG
Definitely leave it for the next person as a more efficient approach that will reduce wear and tear on the machine. Also allows the cup to cool some and reduces the chances of the cup dripping on the counter/floor from the fresh brew.

Your office should probably invest in the machines that do the self-disposal in to the internal bins.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
I feel like I have just wasted 30 seconds of my life that I will never get back by reading this thread.

The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Azeew
double aught said:

Ideally, yes, everyone should dispose of their own cup. However, this rule opens up the possibility of abuse of the system. While everyone else is playing fair and disposing of their cup, some lazy ass can walk in, find an empty coffee maker, make his/her own cup, and walk off.

If the opposite rule (throw away the previous cup and leave your own) is agreed upon, then everyone is forced to put in an equal amount of effort. You must dispose of exactly one cup in order to make one.

Personally, if I find something that needs to be thrown away, I throw it away and move on. I used to get irritated by such things, but life's too short.
Except for the first person to use the machine. He's +1 for life.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.