Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Correcting Course

2,025 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by docaggie
ktownag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long story short, I made what turned out to be some poor investing decisions in my self directed 401k, and I'm licking my wounds a good bit. Luckily, it was all 401k money, but but it's still a large (20%) setback on a decently sized portfolio for someone my age.

What's the best way to simply hit the reset button? I've already "taken my losses" but now need to reinvest. I'm done with trading individual stocks in a 401k. I did well for 8 years and it finally caught up with me. I also need to roll this account into an IRA anyway. Should I just pick 2-3 funds at Vanguard where I have a Roth already, Betterment, other?

Just looking some advice to correct course. Thanks in advance!
TwoMarksHand
AG
I have the lowest cost Vanguard funds in my 401k. VFIAX and VSMGX.
The Wonderer
AG
I have Betterment and have been pleased. Lots of growth, granted so has the market as a whole, but it's keep up with my self-directed HSA with different funds.
94chem
My 401(k) allows me to re-balance. It automatically allocates everything into the percentages I want, and also allows me to direct future investments. If you can just take your total amount of money and do this, it's probably the best course. You will have to decide on your own percentages, but some thing like this might work:

10 - 20% bonds
10 - 25% international
0 - 20% REIT, if you have one available
30 - 60% large cap index
10 - 20% small/mid-cap index

Direct future investments the same way, and hit the rebalance button every year or three.

I used to have an REIT outside of the 401(k), but I got tired of waiting for the tax forms every year, and wised-up and decided to keep real estate funds inside the 401(k).
ktownag08
AG
Appreciate the responses so far.

Based on post above I started looking at Betterment, Wealthfront, and Vanguard Personal Investors. Any opinions on the 3?
SA Ag 91
AG
Following.
Wrighty
AG
You should roll the 401k into a Rollover IRA at Vanguard and put it into a Vanguard Target Retirement Date Fund based on when you want to retire. Call Vanguard and they'll walk you through it, its easy. The Target Date Fund sounds boring, but its actually awesome. You could also buy a mix of your own funds as discussed below but I wouldn't recommend it as a first option.

I would say the three most important things in investing are, in order:
1) personal finance - make sure you're saving enough. If you're saving peanuts, it doesn't matter whether you're getting 3% or 12% return. you have to be saving enough.
2) Sticking to a good asset allocation. A wise investor has a mix of assets that is suitable for his risk tolerance, and this investor maintains this mix of assets whether the market is up or down. For example, you stick with a stocks/bonds ratio of 75/25 whether we are in a bull market or a bear market. One very good option would be something as simple as a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund which will maintain a mix of stocks (US & International) and bonds, and do a yearly adjustment to it based on how close you are to retirement. If you wanted a more hands on approach and a lower cost (by approx 0.05%), you could buy a mix of funds that mimics the target retirement funds plus perhaps a small cap value fund or an REIT fund.
3) invest cheap. basically, active mutual funds cost > 1% but don't beat the return of the indexes they try to beat. So, it is better to just pay a cost of 0.1% and just mimic the index. Investing through index funds gives the best odds of highest returns.

If you're really interested in learning the best way, do some reading:
1) Millionaire next door. (lays out combination of personal finance and basics of investing)
2) Bogleheads Guide to Investing. (this book lays out the approach of index investing and why it makes sense, and talks about asset allocation).
3) Intelligent Asset Allocator. (This book is a sort of scientific review of how to optimize your portfolio. its very readable and gives confidence in setting your asset allocation, as much as is possible).
4) Pick a book about "how to beat the market". I don't know the best book, but I always suggest to find a book that makes a case for how you can beat wall street. I suggest it to get a different perspective. You can then decide for yourself what makes more sense - "trying to beat wall street at its own game" or "taking a passive low cost approach". From your first-hand experience, perhaps you don't need this book.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I've been using Betterment for about 18 months. Very happy with the ease of use and service. Easy to automate things. Referred multiple people on TexAgs and friends and family.

Happy to send you a referral l. It'll give you a few months without fees to try out.
colonialag
AG
If this is only for IRA's, I would recommend picking a target date fund and then just keep contributing. The asset allocation will fit a generic recommended asset allocation based on your age. If you want more risk, pretend you're younger. Less risk, pretend you're older.

Betterment is a great set it and forget it provider. But most of the value that the robo-advisors provide (tax-loss harvesting, tax efficient placement, etf vs. mutual fund tax differences, etc) do not apply to tax advantaged accounts. It's also nothing you couldn't pick up and do yourself with a little research.
docaggie
AG
Do pay attention to the targeted date fund you're buying into.
At work, we had Vanguard ones, and they were awesome.
Then the company decided to change to Empower for retirement and the Vanguard offerings vanished. The targeted funds that replaced them were poor performers.
Fortunately, they also started allowing us to invest half into TD Ameritrade and direct it ourselves. That enabled me to buy low cost index ETF funds. That portion of my portfolio has done far better than the half left behind.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.