Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Can someone explain to me how investing in cryptocurrency is any different than

5,686 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
aggie028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes - that was the point of my posts - to point out that they are very much tied to one another at this point in time. One day they won't be and investing in bitcoin will become much more attractive to the casual investor. You wouldn't want a misguided investor putting his grandmas money into an exhange and leaving it there because some guy made a blanket statement that bitcoin can't be hacked. This is the major weakness of bitcoin as it stands today (my opinion anyway) and warrants the dialogue we just had. Proceed with the pumping.
Cancelled
AG
Wheelskjm: I'm thinking of dumping $1000 into bitcoin and just let it sit for a few years and see what happens. Thoughts?
wheelskjm
AG
At this point in my life, I'd say it's risky not to, queso.
GreasenUSA
AG
Geez, we've got people arguing risk versus reward. We should all understand this concept.

I'll take my 4 bagger over the last 3 months from the top 2 cryptos any quarter of the year.
SACR
AG
You hear about this tech writer who threw away $3.5 million?

1400 bitcoin into the landfill.

Granted, he wouldn't have held onto them this long.

Gigemags382
AG
SACR said:

You hear about this tech writer who threw away $3.5 million?

1400 bitcoin into the landfill.

Granted, he wouldn't have held onto them this long.

As a tangent from this article, if I understand correctly, the 1400 bitcoins that were on this hard drive the guy threw away are just sitting in a landfill and will never be retrievable unless by some miracle someone finds that hard drive?

1400 bitcoins is 1/15,000th of the total bitcoin supply of 21 million. I'm sure there's plenty of other similar cases out there. Over the course of several decade (centuries?), it seems the amount of bitcoins actually in circulation could become quite limited.
ebdb_bnb
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/22/ethereum-price-crash-10-cents-gdax-exchange-after-multimillion-dollar-trade.html

Nothing to see here.
wheelskjm
AG
See Aggie028, carrying on.
GreasenUSA
AG
Was reading on another forum yesterday about a strategy someone had to invest in the top x amount of cryptos based on market cap with a set amount every week. He'd rebalance as the top cryptos changed. Doing this over the last 56 weeks would have amounted to a 900% gain.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without the individual investment into each (because of fees).
Looks like ICNX via Iconomi may be a way to try this out in the near future? https://www.iconomi.net/
RangerRick9211
AG
aggie028 said:

"And if you're just being a complete dumbass pointing out that it's the exchanges being hacked and not bitcoin itself, spare us the stupid post next time."

You don't read too good. Or youre one of the ornery bitcoin guys who doesn't recognize the average joe doesn't want to lose his ass.
But I do read too good, mister.

Saying something wrong and hedging it with, "but you can't say I'm wrong"; doesn't make it right. Well, maybe it does for 5 yr. olds and Bernie Bros.

You can "dumbass" and "stupid" me all you want. Bitcoin still =/ exchanges.
aggie028
My posts make it pretty clear the two are different but they have to be used in conjunction with one another.

Thanks for all the helpful information you added to the thread.
wheelskjm
AG
Both yall are stupid. You're arguing over beanie babies and tulips!
aggie028
Don't disagree. I'm done.
wheelskjm
AG
I've conversed with the founder of Blocksafe foundation and Triggers tokens over the phone a few months ago and I looked today and it's 400% up randomly. Might be ahead of their product demo in Vegas soonish.

10 bagger since mid may.

http://m.nasdaq.com/article/will-blockchain-based-gun-control-keep-your-family-safer-cm802817
bjork
aggie028 said:

My posts make it pretty clear the two are different but they have to be used in conjunction with one another.

Thanks for all the helpful information you added to the thread.
aggie028
Awesome! Another bitcoin enthusiast that would like to point out that 0.00001% of people don't use exchanges when the transact bitcoins because they mine them or they buy paper.

Explain you're post if I'm WRONG. If you plan to provide as much value as RR, you can save it but I know you won't so fire away.
bjork
aggie028 said:

Awesome! Another bitcoin enthusiast that would like to point out that 0.00001% of people don't use exchanges when the transact bitcoins because they mine them or they buy paper.

Explain you're post if I'm WRONG. If you plan to provide as much value as RR, you can save it but I know you won't so fire away.

P2P, P2P marketplace, ATM, or BTC banks.

Download a wallet and post your address. Through the magic of internet and blockchain, I'll send you a penny of BTC without using an exchange. You know, for your many WRONG thoughts.
wheelskjm
AG
The devolution of a good crypto thread is arguing semantics for outdated terms.
jamaggie06
AG
How is the transaction validated if it doesnt go through an exchange?

-curious noob who knows nothing of how bitcoin actually works outside of the basic blockchain concept
Cancelled
AG
I said I was going to buy $1k, what the hell, what's $1k? If it blows up, it will be a nice turn. My Coinbase limited me to $200. I bought $100 BTC and $100 ETH. I'll pick up the rest later.
wheelskjm
AG

The blockchain explained with spam and meat cleavers.
Cancelled
AG
I would imagine the same way it's validated if I gave you $100 cash. /no sarcasm
GreasenUSA
AG
queso1 said:

I said I was going to buy $1k, what the hell, what's $1k? If it blows up, it will be a nice turn. My Coinbase limited me to $200. I bought $100 BTC and $100 ETH. I'll pick up the rest later.
Your limit will go up on Coinbase within a few weeks. I'm actually considering dumping them. The interface is nice, but it seems to go down too often. The banner about not being able to trade ethereum has been up for 2 days now since the flash crash.
wheelskjm
AG
Coinbase is a "safe" place, not an exchange place. Their function is security over ease of moving funds. They play safe ball, not aggressive. Sometimes **** ****s up.

So far they've been a pleasure to work with.

Edit: past experiences do not guarantee future results. Trust no one, or choose to.
SACR
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Was reading on another forum yesterday about a strategy someone had to invest in the top x amount of cryptos based on market cap with a set amount every week. He'd rebalance as the top cryptos changed. Doing this over the last 56 weeks would have amounted to a 900% gain.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without the individual investment into each (because of fees).
Looks like ICNX via Iconomi may be a way to try this out in the near future? https://www.iconomi.net/
So, dollar cost averaging into cryptos each week? How often is he rebalancing?

SACR
AG
ebdb_bnb said:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/22/ethereum-price-crash-10-cents-gdax-exchange-after-multimillion-dollar-trade.html

Nothing to see here.
Wow. Guy goes from $3k to $1 in literally minutes.

I wonder how many people bought ether at .$10 and made a fortune?

Apparently, one person may have become a millionaire.

ETA: If Taco ever branches out from the EBDB-BNB to TacoCoin, I am going all-in on that *****
ebdb_bnb
TacoCoin
SACR
AG

Especially useful for making purchases on MyFace, the world's premier offline app.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.