Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The future of Walmart

4,861 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
RoseRichAg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Academy seems to have become a department store for poor folks. How much of their revenue is non-sports/outdoors apparel vs. hunting and sports equipment? Maybe Academy's (perceived) success bodes well for Wally World?

Edit: (And my view on Academy sales is purely anecdotal and based on my local store.)
Out in Left Field
AG
I shop Academy for sporting apparel: shirts, shorts, socks, underwear with brands like Adidas, UA, Columbia.

But if I want shoes, I'll go somewhere else. If I want camping supplies I'm more likely to go to REI or the internets.
ChoppinDs40
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Dr. Doctor said:

I always wonder if Amazon buys out FedEx or UPS if things get bad. Get the assets cheap and some institutional knowledge.

~egon
Amazon is pouring a lot of $$ into its own alternative to UPS/FEx. I would think that , since it will be a duplication of service once Amazon reaches the size that they can pull a huge % of its business from UPS/Fx, the likely suitor will be the brick and mortars who must compete with Amazon to survive.
Gonna be fascinating.

Correct. Amazon is dumping a lot of money into continued education programs for employees. One of those educations is getting people CDL certified and experienced at other delivery companies.

Amazon is going to have their own 18wheeler and delivery fleet in the near future.
Post removed:
by user
Dr. Doctor
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Dr. Doctor said:

I always wonder if Amazon buys out FedEx or UPS if things get bad. Get the assets cheap and some institutional knowledge.

~egon
Amazon is pouring a lot of $$ into its own alternative to UPS/FEx. I would think that , since it will be a duplication of service once Amazon reaches the size that they can pull a huge % of its business from UPS/Fx, the likely suitor will be the brick and mortars who must compete with Amazon to survive.
Gonna be fascinating.

Correct. Amazon is dumping a lot of money into continued education programs for employees. One of those educations is getting people CDL certified and experienced at other delivery companies.

Amazon is going to have their own 18wheeler and delivery fleet in the near future.
I realize and have read about Amazon getting their own fleet. Cheaper to do it yourself than farm it out.

I was making the point of Amazon buying old UPS/FedEx trucks/planes due to them gutting their (UPS/FedEx) business. Essentially saying "We'll buy you out or buy Felicia!"

~egon
FrontPorchAg
Comanche_Ag said:

I think it's funny that Amazon is somewhat based on the early Sears business model (mail order).

Sears published product catalogs, customers placed orders, Sears shipped the items to the customer. Sears catalogs had everything from toys to appliances to house-kits.

Amazon basically does the same thing except the internet has replaced the catalog.
Yep, Sears had the opportunity to be Amazon and crush the marketplace but they didn't see it coming. They already had the infrastructure.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
20ag07
Walmart spent $310M to buy Bonobos- a company that specializes in $100 chinos and $150+ dress pants and has previously been tied at the hip with Nordstrom. Not sure what their future is, but they are definitely trying something with all the e-commerce companies they have been buying that are very different from the typical WalMart brand.

Amazon's acquisition of Whole Foods makes total sense. Walmarts purchases in the turf war have been...interesting.
mts6175
AG
I think you guys forget there are still a lot of areas where Amazon Prime can't meet the same delivery obligations as they can in the larger metroplexes. Ex DFW vs. Midland. Same goes for Academy. They are thriving in markets that online ordering takes longer.
YouBet
AG
For perspective, Wal-Mart is #1 on the Fortune 500 at $486B in revenue. They are over 2x larger than #2 on the list (Berkshire Hathaway) and 4x larger than Amazon.

They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Pman17
AG
Amazon scares Wal-Mart investors. I buy in WMT. Goes back up. Repeat.
Aston04
AG
Don't forget Aldi attacking Walmart on the brick and mortar grocery side. Walmart used to have the perception of being the low price leader.. Aldi has taken that among it's shoppers.. Aldi's in my area are packed and growing (building/renovating more and more stores)
Post removed:
by user
AW 1880
AG
I agree. However, if I am realizing this, it is probably too late for me to short.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.