Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Scammers

1,408 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Brush Country Ag
Buzzard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am so effing tired of my 78-year-old mother (widowed) falling for stupid phone scams, and I'm disgusted with con-men that prey on the elderly for a living,

She got a call that she won the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes this week. She paid several grand cash toward some license she needed to accept the winnings. I learned about it tonight and had to tell her oh, yeah, that ain't happening.

I'm not really asking for help. I'm just venting.
CS78
Might be worth getting her phone number changed. No doubt, when these guys score, it's a huge invite for more scams to flood in.
SlackerAg
AG
Maybe a cell phone or VIOP service where a closed-list filter of family members limits who can call in.
She needs to turn her finances over to you if she is falling prey to these types of scams.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Buzzards complaining about Vultures
tamutaylor12
26.2 said:

She needs to turn her finances over to you if she is falling prey to these types of scams.

My grandmother was in a similar situation but not as bad. She is living in a facility where her income covered all of her bills and she has around 500 to save or spend each month. We got to looking at her finances and she was giving away hundreds a month to very questionable charities. Stuff like Indian schools out west that I couldn't really tell if they existed or not. My mom ended up being in charge of her accounts and things have been better. She was reluctant to let go but giving her control of a set amount for day to day expenses helped greatly. Nobody wants to feel like they need to ask for permission for minor purchases. Hopefully yall can work something similar out and keep everybody protected but happy.
Buzzard
AG
Thanks for the positive comments. I'm happy to take over, but she is reluctant as hell to let go. She is trying to hold on to her independence.
The silver lining in all this (I hope and pray) is that she will willingly let go of most if not all of her finances. Otherwise, I'll just have to take it anyway and we'll have to deal with the consequences.
It would be so much easier if she was either more willing to let go or dimented enough to not know or care. Tough stuff,
Brush Country Ag
AG
Buzzard said:

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm happy to take over, but she is reluctant as hell to let go. She is trying to hold on to her independence.
The silver lining in all this (I hope and pray) is that she will willingly let go of most if not all of her finances. Otherwise, I'll just have to take it anyway and we'll have to deal with the consequences.
It would be so much easier if she was either more willing to let go or dimented enough to not know or care. Tough stuff,
Dealing with the same issues except she hasn't been scammed....yet. We let her pay some of her bills, and we pay some of her "more important ones" so she doesn't get in too much trouble. Maybe you could work a deal like that for her. It's a damn tough situation...one which I can sympathize with you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.