Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The Economics of Flying

3,967 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sdj774
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really enjoy this YouTube channel I am subscribed to called "Wendover Productions".

He makes slightly longer (10-15 minute) videos that delve deeply into a particular topic, one at a time.

Here are a few of his videos on air travel (he covers lots of different subjects) to give you a taste of what he does:

Why Flying is So Expensive:

How Budget Airlines Work:

Why Planes Don't Fly Faster:

The Economics of Airline Class:
Seven Costanza
AG
His voice is the male version of Alyssa Hannigan from American Pie. "For every mile? That the A20 flies? It burns 1.5 gallons?"

Otherwise very interesting, though.
HustlerAggie
Yeah, you can definitely tell from his voice he is a bit of a nerd. (not that that is a bad thing..so am I)

But, his videos are always have a high production value and you can tell he spends a lot of time researching his videos. I always enjoy seeing a new one from him in my feed. (releases a new one about ever week or two)
Post removed:
by user
Chance Chase McMasters
Still don't understand how RyanAir can sell tickets for 12 Euro.
Chance Chase McMasters
Who cares though. Short vacation Brussels to Barcelona. Pack a carry on. AA charges for bags, food, drinks, etc.
HustlerAggie
third coast.. said:

learned a lot watching those. thanks!
Glad you like them!

There are a ton more on his channel on a range of different subjects. (Not just flying.)

He is definitely one of the 4 or 5 YouTube channels that I am subscribed to (out of 100 or so?) that I watch EVERY new video that comes out, as opposed to just the ones that look interesting.

I also found his recent video detailing how the president travels interesting as well:

HustlerAggie
Sorry to (perhaps) needlessly bump the thread again, but this new one is very timely, given the recent United Airlines scandal:

Yesterday
AG
Chance Chase McMasters said:

Still don't understand how RyanAir can sell tickets for 12 Euro.

I read how Southwest would fly their jets from Dallas to Houston once a week for maintence back when they first started. They realized that they could offer this flight that was late at Night for dirt cheap and it was basically 100% profit because the cost was already sunk for maintenance. Maybe the same thing? Maybe not.
HustlerAggie
"What's Actually The Plane Of The Future"

Sdj774
Be careful about believing everything you see from these so called experts. I watched the first video that OP posted. Lots of innacuracies. For example, he said it takes 317 gallons of fuel for an A-320 to fly from NY to DC. Well... the 320 burns about 250 gallons of fuel per hour while at idle or taxiing. This doesn't include any fuel which is used by the APU (50 gal/hr). A typical airliner will take anywhere from 5-15 minutes to go from engine light off to airborne, depending on how far it has to taxi and how busy the airport is. So assuming 10 minutes of engine usage at idle, that is over 40 gallons used before the aircraft even pulls into the runway. Usually the APU is online well before passengers even board, so realistically the number is closer to 80 gallons. Add another 40 gallons on the back end of the flight... you get the picture. Add in the roughly 500 gallons it would take to actually fly the plane for half an hour (again, I'm being conservative here because this assumes a direct flight with no holding patterns or vectoring)... you get a number more than twice what he claims in the video.

I'm also very fun at parties.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.