Business & Investing
Sponsored by

SNAP

5,402 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
jpc08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

I dont use snap so I have an honest question....
What is it ( all I know is that it is some kinda picture sharing app) and how does it make money ? I understand how FB with their ads popping up all over the damn place sells space but how does some picture app make money ?
I'm by no means an expert but have the app which I occasionally use.

Snapchat has what they call stories which is a collection of videos and pictures from sponsored brands. ESPN, CNN, Food Network, NatGeo, WSJ, etc, etc, etc, all have their own featured "story" which users can click on an watch. They are usually topical and change out daily (maybe more often). Those companies pay Snap per view and there are also adds which play in the "stories". I'm assuming Snap takes a percentage of the ad revenue and the rest go to the companies.

I don't use the app enough to know but I don't think ads pop up if sharing pictures/videos between friends, I think its just on sponsored content. They seem to have a viable revenue model and less intrusive ad structure than Twitter so I think they have a chance.
wessimo
AG
No way SNAP is as valuable as Target or Ebay. I can't help but feel like it is the year 2000 again.
themissinglink
AG
$31+ billion market cap for a company that gained popularity as a teenager sexting app.
SlackerAg
AG
CNBC said a private school got in on the IPO very early & turned $15k into $24M.
DRE06
AG
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-03/california-high-school-makes-24-million-from-snap-ipo?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
One students dad is a Venture Capitalist and convinced the school to invest $15k during an initial seeding.
OnlyForNow
AG
Impossible for them to do that with the stock. Very possible via the way the article states
ATM9000
AG
For what it's worth, I read something that Snap users spend 25-30 minutes daily in the app. That looks more like Facebook usage than Twitter and why I wouldn't be so quick to buy a bunch of puts or laugh at the valuation quite yet.
Phat32
AG
Jumped in to see where it goes. Hopefully enough idiots bump it up.
Sid Farkas
AG
I bought 100 shares on Friday morning and bailed on it this morning before it began to drop...made just over $100 after transaction fees...(still have to split some of my winnings with Uncle Sam tho)
ClickClack
AG
Just waiting for options on this thing
Phat32
AG
Phat32
AG
https://www.smarteranalyst.com/2017/03/07/snap-inc-snap-perfect-ipo-scam-gets-derailed/

Looks like they tried to pull a fast one on investors and their bluff got called.
Aggie1205
AG
Read they are down 35% since the first couple of days after the IPO. Could they have a bounce like facebook?
CheladaAg
AG
Now that the lockout period is about done is anyone planning on getting in on this? Or is the perception that this trend will continue to fall?
IrishTxAggie
AG
boyz05 said:

Now that the lockout period is about done is anyone planning on getting in on this? Or is the perception that this trend will continue to fall?
I think SNAP is in for a bit more drop still. Screw the 400MM shares coming that just came onto the market, but what about the 800MM coming into play late August. I can see Snap being around $10 by the end of August.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.