Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anyone use Medi Share?????????

14,420 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MAS444
AgAttack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Team,

I wanted to share my personal experience with my family on Medi-Share over the last year. Here it is: http://blog.takecommandhealth.com/medi-share-review-my-familys-experience-this-year/

Quick summary: It's great but there's a learning curve.

Guitarsoup
AG
You shouldn't have paid $1k for immunizations. Texas has a program for people that are uninsured or their insurance doesn't cover immunizations to make it very cheap.

My daughter just got her 4y shots. $56 total for three shots (Polio, DTaP and one other)

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/tvfc/
AgAttack
AG
Good advice!
irish pete ag06
AG
I'd like to bump this thread since it was a great read. I am considering medi-share for my wife and 2 year old son. Trying to do as much vetting as possible before making the leap.
Brewmaster
AG
+1

another couple here looking into Medi Share, and after being hosed by Scott n White numerous times. We basically pay $750 a month for no coverage. We've paid $2k in out of pocket expenses in the last 3 months.

I am a cancer survivor (less than a year ago, thyroid cancer), so I'm not sure how that will play into it, but it still looks worth exploring.
irish pete ag06
AG
I am not currently on medi-share yet but based on my understanding, they won't cover pre-existing conditions in a 3-year window from your last $ spent on said pre-existing condition. If that makes any sense...
hammerhead
lunchbox said:

Aggie09Derek said:

gotcha.

Interesting that this stuff isn't covered:

Behavioral/Mental Health care including, but not limited to:
Psychiatric or psychological care
Special education charges
Counseling or care for learning deficiencies or behavioral problems, whether or not associated with a manifest mental disorder or other disturbance (e.g. Attention Deficit Disorders or Autism)

Yeah we looked into medi-share until we came across the things not covered...
For those on the "old" plans...not Obamacare, these are not included so no additional cost (or no more that you are paying now)
NoahAg
We had a pre-obamacare BCBS plan until I signed up for Christian Healthcare Ministries last week (I had looked at MediShare and Liberty as well). I'll report back on our experiences once we have to use it.

Our BCBS plan went to $960 this month, so that was the last straw (on top of just having to deal with BCBS). Our CHM plan - at their highest level - is half of that. I'll put the difference into a separate account for medical stuff.
PFG
AG
Bump for yalls experience with these share groups. Losing work coverage of the fam and trying to decide what to do.
selk
AG
If any of you are looking for a non ACA HMO plan shoot me an email shawn.elkins@ushadvisors.com wouldn't mind getting you some quotes for our PPO plans, typically 20-30% cheaper than the ACA plans plus they are PPO
MAS444
AG
Really curious about Medi Share too. Love the cost...but really curious about covering costly treatment (especially for children), should the need arise. Any first hand experiences?
chipotle
Curious as well.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm closing in on two years. No problems.

We have saved about $25,000 in two years in this rather than having Obamacare
spadilly
S
We had our yearly insurance meeting at work today.
Been thinking of making the jump to Medishare for a while, and now's the time.
Diggity
AG
What do you do with pre-existing conditions on MediShare?

My wife has to see the doc a couple times a year for hypothyroid management. Is that a no go?
Guitarsoup
AG
Diggity said:

What do you do with pre-existing conditions on MediShare?

My wife has to see the doc a couple times a year for hypothyroid management. Is that a no go?

Ask how much it is to pay out of pocket for those things.
Diggity
AG
Good point
Endo Ag
AG
lunchbox said:

Aggie09Derek said:

gotcha.

Interesting that this stuff isn't covered:

Behavioral/Mental Health care including, but not limited to:
Psychiatric or psychological care
Special education charges
Counseling or care for learning deficiencies or behavioral problems, whether or not associated with a manifest mental disorder or other disturbance (e.g. Attention Deficit Disorders or Autism)

Yeah we looked into medi-share until we came across the things not covered...
Unfortunately, the deductibles on the marketplace plans make this a moot point.

My only significant healthcare cost is ~6k annually in meds for my kids, and maybe another ~$1-2000 for random doctor visits, x-rays, etc. I have a family of 4 who are healthy and active.

My exchange plan is ~$1,500 per month, and the deductible is $14,000. That means I have an out of pocket cost of ~$32,000 before they pitch in anything. My real world expected cost is ~$18,000 in premiums and ~$8,000 in expenses. Insurance would pay $0 dollars. (Maybe $500 towards one visit per year per family member?) Total outlay ~26,000 per year.

My CHM plan costs ~$350 per month. I pay the same $8,000 in expenses, and $4,200 in expenses. Total expense is ~12,000 per year.

The deductible is "per injury/illness" in the CHM plan, so if there is a more significant injury or illness, then they will chip in sooner than the exchange plan.

If anybody is so catastrophically sick that I worry about the CHM plan not covering expenses, then we'll rent an apartment across a county line, which gives us the ability to get back into the exchange mid-year with no penalty for pre-existing conditions.
MAS444
AG
How diligent, if at all, are they on the lifestyle/Christian requirements, if anyone knows? Not talking about drug abuse or anything...but what if a family doesn't regularly go to church...or perhaps not even currently members of a church? But they generally agree and fall in line with the other requirements. Asking for a friend.
policywonk98
AG
We are finishing up year one. Everything so far has been fantastic. Every doctors visit and pharmacy visit has felt exactly the same as the 20 years of employer provided insurance. Are bills have been the same or even better than when we did BlueCross, etc.

We are eligible for the healthy category which means you meet certain requirements for blood pressure, waist measurements, etc.

About 10 families in our neighborhood have switched in the last 12 months as well. One of them has alot of different medical problems with their children. They have said they are still saving money with medishare over what they were paying out before.

ag97tx
AG
With Medi Share it says on the website that you receive a member card to show at doctors and hospitals but is there a network to go to? And when you show the card do you pay something at the appointment or does the doctor submit the bill to Medi Share?
Long Live Sully
AG
ag97tx said:

With Medi Share it says on the website that you receive a member card to show at doctors and hospitals but is there a network to go to? And when you show the card do you pay something at the appointment or does the doctor submit the bill to Medi Share?
Works just like I had with Assurant as far as a doc / hospital visit went. They submit the bill and if I have deductible still to be satisfied, I pay that part.

Their "network" is that they have negotiated the discounts. At least that is how I understand it.
BBDP
AG
Check out Liberty Share. Not as religious as the others. We have had them for 3.5 years. It's been great. We have 4 kids so there has been some major medical issues they have covered.
ag97tx
AG
For those on Medi Share do they go by the PHCS network / Multiplan PPO network for providers? And if you don't attend church regularly will you still qualify?

For those on Liberty Share why did you pick that over Medi Share and is it easy to use?
MAS444
AG
Bumping this one... I still don't understand what, if anything, Medi Share does to verify their strict faith requirements. I read on line that they require something from a pastor that says you attend at least once a month. I read somewhere else that you have to have a witness sign something. Does anyone know?

Also...with respect to Medi Share or Liberty or any of these other alternative options, I'm having a hard time understanding a doctor/hospital's accounting office simply agreeing to send the bill to one of these groups without receiving any payment at the time. Is this really how it works?

Medi Share says they are on a PPO network that includes Texas Childrens Hospital...but when we call Texas Childrens, they say they do not accept it. What gives?

I'm very intrigued by these plans...but nervous as hell about em... We're all relatively healthy and don't have a problem with self pays on regular doctor visits, etc. Just worried about unexpected, more expensive stuff that may pop up....
IrishTxAggie
AG
It might be labeled as ChristianCare in their network.
Pelayo
AG
it is simply a voluntary nominally Christian mutual aid society that uses an insurance network for pricing.

It is good that they have the network benefit/discount to pass along for access, my only warning is that there is no guarantee of payment if members choose not to "share" expenses with you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Can you shoot me an email (chris@mercyproject.net)?
MAS444
AG
BBDP - is there any way I can get in contact with you to ask a few questions?
BBDP
AG
BBDP
AG
All we had to do is sign a statement that we believe in God and that health care should not be run by the government..... something along those lines.
MAS444
AG
Ah...what the hell. I just went ahead and signed up.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.