Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AMZN

58,134 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by diablo loco
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keed I keed... been holding since 2006...
TXAGEE
AG
Currently trading +$4.72 at $1,011.45!
62strat
AG
woah... $950
SlackerAg
AG
Not worried. With record capital inflows to passive ETFs (who must buy market-cap weighted stocks), I expect their new inflows will dollar cost average into these dips pushing prices back up.
Ranger222
AG
My guess is that we see it touch $910 - 920 before getting on the right path again. That's where it was around the previous earnings. I think all the FAANG stocks will still dip lower before a real rebound.
cgh1999
AG
Think we'll get a prime discount on Whole Foods? We stop
62strat
AG
What is the deal with the prime now? They just announced the service in Denver, and I see the groceries are through sprouts? Did they partner with them?

Of course my zip code isn't included, but my office zip is.
Texaggie7nine
I just jumped in this stock today.
7nine
Gator2_01
AG
We've had Prime Now for a while in Austin. It's basically a selection of Prime goods, groceries, and even restaurant to-go orders that are all delivered in ~1 hr.
62strat
AG
Gator2_01 said:

We've had Prime Now for a while in Austin. It's basically a selection of Prime goods, groceries, and even restaurant to-go orders that are all delivered in ~1 hr.
You're getting 1hr for free? OR is that the $8 upgrade? My order took 3 hours.

My main question was.. when did they partner with Sprouts? It's a bit confusing.. I can buy groceries from amazon, or from sprouts through amazon.
Gator2_01
AG
Fair question. I haven't used it for groceries and when I ordered Prime stuff it was when it was brand new and I didn't have to pay for the 1 hour delivery. We use it mostly to have food delivered when we're too lazy to go out.
cjo03
AG
Found this interesting from http://www.visualcapitalist.com/jeff-bezos-empire-chart/?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_feed%3BB023exshQGmBagd%2FunuRnA%3D%3D

SACR
AG

Visual Capitalist is a neat little website.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
my goal is to make more on amazon stock this year than my wife spends on amazon...

currently, she is winning
cjo03
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

my goal is to make more on amazon stock this year than my wife spends on amazon...

currently, she is winning

Is there a Whole Foods in Granbury? Your goal may be unachievable!
aggiedata
AG

Wonder what the next 10 years, heck 5 years will say?
Biz Ag
AG
Other than obviously Amazon, probably Target and perhaps Macy's, they'll all be out of business, at least as big box stores.
Whitetail
AG
Agree, but I also see kohls staying. But what's do I know.
SlackerAg
AG
So glad I dumped Macy's & many "value stocks". A cheap turd is still turd.
what say you
With Amazon's growing list of acquisitions does anyone foresee them making a run at a company like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc...?
aggiedata
AG
I do not think so, not if those targets are unionized. Too much overhead. Amazon already has Amazon Logistics and will do it cheaper.
Whitetail
AG
what say you said:

With Amazon's growing list of acquisitions does anyone foresee them making a run at a company like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc...?
WoMD
aggiedata said:

I do not think so, not if those targets are unionized. Too much overhead. Amazon already has Amazon Logistics and will do it cheaper.

From what Ive experienced their own delivery service is a complete disaster and is absolutely horrific. Here in SF they basically just hire random people who deliver with their own personal cars. They often just leave the packages outside of buildings/businesses/houses on busy streets as apposed to trying again the following day. They commonly deliver to my business a few hours after closing, sometimes as late as 9pm, and on sundays when we're not open. Ive found boxes in the planters out front and in front of the door waiting for the receptionist in the morning. Once we had a client (luckily) find a package on a saturday evening and bring it in to us on monday morning. I now do my damnedest to time delivery to come nowhere near a weekend.

I wish I could request/require them to deliver with a real delivery service, but unfortunately you get what you pay for...
aggiedata
AG
Same experience here in Houston with Amazon delivery people.

As a side note, I had all my deliveries from Prime Day arrive without issue. We had other orders from other companies shipped by UPS that are terribly delayed.

Feels like UPS put Amazon packages on the fast track and let others suffer. I can only imagine the outcome if UPS totally botched up Prime Day for Amazon.
Texaggie7nine
looks like it's back on track
7nine
62strat
AG
Are yalls delivery problems with prime 2 day or same day?

I've easily had a hundred orders with regular prime 2 day over the last few years, the ONLY problem I've ever had is with my father in laws Po Box. Never had an issue with deliveries to my house.

I tried same day one time last month. Showed up in 3 hours. The warehouse (which my company built) is a mile down the road.
PeekingDuck
AG
Would one of you fine gentlemen be open to tearing this thing apart? Just did a quick read but their assumptions about profit margins seem simplistic. That said, price to earnings are a bit ridiculous across the market right now.

http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/is-amazon-s-stock-price-justified-what-it-means-if-it-is
WoMD
62strat said:

I've easily had a hundred orders with regular prime 2 day over the last few years, the ONLY problem I've ever had is with my father in laws Po Box. Never had an issue with deliveries to my house.

I tried same day one time last month. Showed up in 3 hours. The warehouse (which my company built) is a mile down the road.

Never used prime 2 day. It's either next day, or regular free two day shipping. Funny enough, it tends to be when they come in early. For instance, more than once i made a business order on friday, the estimated delivery date will be monday and it is either delivered on saturday evening or sunday. Where I am at when they have their own delivery service it is always during evening hours or weekends (I guess that's the best availability for their drivers). Very odd. So now I try to time all orders on mondays, to try to prevent this scenario (still get evening deliveries but at least theres a chance ill be there working late).
62strat
AG
WoMD said:

62strat said:

Never used prime 2 day. It's either next day, or regular free two day shipping. Funny enough, it tends to be when they come in early. For instance, more than once i made a business order on friday, the estimated delivery date will be monday and it is either delivered on saturday evening or sunday. Where I am at when they have their own delivery service it is always during evening hours or weekends (I guess that's the best availability for their drivers). Very odd. So now I try to time all orders on mondays, to try to prevent this scenario (still get evening deliveries but at least theres a chance ill be there working late).
'regular free two day shipping' = 'prime two day'

Your free 2 day shipping is only free because you are a prime member. A non prime member doesn't have that option.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's been quite awhile since a Prime package showed up in 2 days at my house. It's usually more like 5-6 days. I recently dropped the service altogether because of this.
WoMD
62strat said:

WoMD said:

62strat said:

'regular free two day shipping' = 'prime two day'

Your free 2 day shipping is only free because you are a prime member. A non prime member doesn't have that option.

Forgive my very insignificant mistake. For some reason I was thinking 2 hour delivery instead of 2 day while typing. I wrote that quickly before leaving for work.

Irrelevant to the discussion either way. Feeling better now?

And yes, it's rarely 2 day.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It's been quite awhile since a Prime package showed up in 2 days at my house. It's usually more like 5-6 days. I recently dropped the service altogether because of this.
Weird. We order stuff almost daily and it always comes in 2 days.
aggiedata
AG
I live in Houston, no problems with timing, but big problems with the local Amazon delivery drivers. They aren't as experienced as the UPS guys. UPS will put the package over the gate on my front porch. Amazon drivers get confused, block our street while they are trying to figure out what to do, then won't deliver. Just slip the package over the gate!! I know it's locked, don't let that confuse you! I then get a call from a Seattle number. It's them trying to tell me they can't get to the front door. Well I'm at work so just place the package over the gate.

Also, my parent's live in West Texas, it takes longer for them to get their stuff by a few days. Still worth it for them.
62strat
AG
aggiedata said:

Just slip the package over the gate!! I know it's locked, don't let that confuse you!
That would confuse me, too!

Maybe tell them to just throw it under the gate.
Diggity
AG
Do you reside in a vortex of some sort?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.