Business & Investing
Sponsored by

You have $500,000.00 cash, what do you do?

15,793 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gvine07
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The problem I've run into recently is I have people coming up to me all the time wanting to sell their rentals to me(mainly older folks wanting to cash out) and I am running low on capital bc I've purchased more recently than I had planned(deals were to good to pass up). I need a year to build it back up.

Do you have any situations like this you're facing right now? PM me if you do (and you don't mind)...I'm looking for something right now.
flyingaggie12
AG
CS78 I've been interested to do this myself. I would really like to buy you lunch and ask you some questions.
WestTXag18
Colt: Where are your rentals at if you don't mine me asking? I am new to this and looking to buy a rental property in San Antonio. The best I have been able to find is about 8% return on a 30 yr mortgage. I have been looking at houses in the 150,000 range though so it looks like maybe the cheaper houses provide the higher returns.
Also, do you have have problems keeping renters in the houses? With multiple houses that wouldn't kill you but starting out with just one house I worry if I have any months without it being leased could I would be losing money fast.
Colt98
AG
Mine are in central texas. I've been lucky and stay around 95% occupied. Don't have to much of a problem renting when vacant. The longest I've gone is 2 months. But I've gotten very picky with my tenants. Normally I could rent much faster, but I try and avoid certain situations.

AgSoccer2007
AG
What are your preferred avenues for finding renters?
Colt98
AG
I actually have people call me all the time. So i have a list. The school district, chamber of commerce, I have signs to put in the yard, last case I put ads in paper.
AgSoccer2007
AG
That would be great to have a relationship with a major employer who can place their people needing homes in your properties
cb
AG
Colt- you mentioned being in Central Texas. Where exactly? As with a few other posters, I'm looking to invest in some real estate. I have the funds to begin, but still learning where to find and assess deals.
Guitarsoup
AG
Colt98
AG
I basically invest from Houston to Austin and San Antonio to Dallas. Always looking for the right situation. I target smaller towns between those larger areas. Hope this helps. I would start in an area you are familiar with. Hope this helps
El Chupacabra
quote:
quote:
$50k in ammo?

Don't knock it til you've tried it. You should have seen the email I got from my CPA when reviewing bank statements. But I'm also the type that will buy and sell anything if I'm knowledgeable on the market and the numbers are right.

[This message has been edited by CS78 (edited 10/9/2013 1:15a).]

Far and away the best buy I made in a couple years was about $10k in 30 round mags and $5k in ammo. I made my money back (and then some), plus added to my stash of guns, mags, and ammo.

And I'll be more ready for the revolution.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Colt: Where are your rentals at if you don't mine me asking?

"at" doesn't belong in this sentence FWIW. You just wasted the time you spent typing an "a" and "t" right after the "a". Also, I think you meant to say "mind" rather than "mine", but I'm not positive on that one.

As to the topic of the thread, this is all very interesting and CS and Colt, I hope to be you one day. Congrats on your seemingly successful ventures!
Guitarsoup
AG
As a New Orleanian, I can confirm that at does indeed belong in that sentence.
agcrock2005
AG
Fair enough. If guitarsoup says it's so, it's so!
Guitarsoup
AG
Where ya at?

See? Perfect.

"Ya at" can also be contracted to yat.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AgSoccer2007 said:

all you entrepreneurs out there, where would your entrepreneurial spirit take you if you had the cash to start with?
Give it all to your wife to post some pics of herself since you're too chicken **** to live up to your promise.
SMM48
AG
Msft
Amzn
AAPL
Googl
FB.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
So boring and such low returns. Put it in crypto.
SMM48
AG
Sold bitcoin at 19000...dec 15, 2017 to be exact.....never looked back.

Once the cme/cboe started trading options on it.....allowing the fbi and other whales to exit...

All the big money left.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Still better returns in crypto than those stocks. Congrats on your good sell in 2017 but ROI is better in crypto than stocks.
SMM48
AG
Why play crypto.....when you can trade options on crypto? Better returns on crypto options. Multiple strategies.
Going long only? Nah.

You think folks didn't put the hell out of it at 19k...I said I sold the coin....

The creation of options wasn't cause Wall Street were nice people. We saw it as an opportunity to make 660billion on the way down.

Edit. The fbi thinks the same way.....who do you think approached the options exchanges.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Because the crypto's you can short have been pretty stagnant of late. You seem to be trying to act like some hot shot but I don't think you really know what's going on in crypto and where the plays are at. Best of luck to you
SMM48
AG
Whoa whoa. Why so grouchy

Short? Why short? Buy the put. Cmon...it's all ball bearings these days.
Comeby!
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

AgSoccer2007 said:

all you entrepreneurs out there, where would your entrepreneurial spirit take you if you had the cash to start with?
Give it all to your wife to post some pics of herself since you're too chicken **** to live up to your promise.

I come here to find a place to stash $500k and come across this. What happened here?
_lefraud_
AG
OP used (and teased) the power of Texags for votes on his wife's photography contest. He promised boobs but did not deliver.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3113649
OasisMan
AG
yep,
OP is not a man of his word
Comeby!
AG
Damn I wasted some time scrolling through 11 pages.
one MEEN Ag
AG
So you want to light 500k on fire?
FattyDelights
I guess I can only do one chick at the same time with 500k.
AgAE
AG
First...payoff all of your debt. House included. Take whatever is left and split it between rental property and growth stock mutual funds.
satexas
AG
FunkyKO said:

Msft
Amzn
AAPL
Googl
FB.

So basically you just mailed in a post that says "I'd put it in with the 5 companies that make up over 20% of the total market".

Genius.

These companies are in Washington DC for hearings for a reason - that is when you "win the game" basically, that's when the gov't has to step in and break you up... so IMHO, while those stocks have value, there's risk too and some would argue you're a little late to jump on that boat now in some cases.
Gonna have to flush the toilet, but that's one expensive poo.
satexas
AG
I would put the money in strong basic needs thing that aren't controlled by the big 5 stocks (Amazon, FB, Google, Microsoft and Apple), and stay away from travel, oil and other covid-affectable things.

That means stuff like Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc.

Stuff people need that can't be delivered by Amazon, stuff people need regardless of a virus and stuff that makes up our country's backbone.

The others I said avoid could totally end up great in certain situations.... but Carnival make skyrocket up some day, but they equally could be sued for Corona issues, or have to sell more ships and enter bankruptcy too. Same with the airlines and MGM, etc.

My viewpoint is based on at least sticking with it 3-5 years and be interesting in hitting singles and doubles and not trying to risk it all with homerun swings.

And if you REALLY want to go oil, go with a company that's strongest and hasn't made bad decisions (Exxon) in the past that they're still making up for... and that would be Chevron. But right now the world has a massive surplus of oil, nobody really knows the future, OPEC doesn't control the world anymore and Iran smashing the Saudi's oil pumps with missiles doesn't totally wreck the world market anymore - it's barelyl even noticed. So that's risky.
satexas
AG
AgAE said:

First...payoff all of your debt. House included. Take whatever is left and split it between rental property and growth stock mutual funds.

I think that's very poor advice if you're house is sitting on 2%-4% interest rate making it far more attractive to not pay it off and instead invest it and make even MORE.
lead
Got a guaranteed investment making more than 4%?
CPDAggie10
AG

lead said:

Got a guaranteed investment making more than 4%?

Yes. Real estate as long as you perform the proper due diligence and underwriting. Also, conservative investments in the stock market over long periods of time has proven to provid solid returns of 5%+ very easily.

I've convinced myself that the Dave Ramsey approach of paying off low interest mortgages early is for the financially illiterate. There are tons of other opportunities out there to accelerate the building of wealth.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.