Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Paying off student loans

8,590 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OasisMan
Foamcows
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never married her, so not an exwife.
Diggity
AG
well that's one good decision you made.

As another poster said, the frustration isn't with you in particular. It's just a ridiculous system.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
yeah - I don't think the statement about a good chunk of your income being "off the record" really helps garner sympathy from folks either.
Picard
AG
Never having to deal with the idiots at Sallie Mae ever again is reason enough to pay off your student loans ASAP.

YouBet
AG
Being in a higher income bracket am I eligible to not pay off much of the remaining school loan debt I have? I want to play in this game too.
Aggielandma12
AG
quote:
Being in a higher income bracket am I eligible to not pay off much of the remaining school loan debt I have? I want to play in this game too.

+1 where can I sign up?
Whitetail
AG
This thread is like a roller coaster.
BBDP
AG
For the record:
quote:
So long story short, it is manageable right now for a few reasons. One, a majority of my photography income is under the table.

I hate paying taxes so others can cheat the system and be forgiven of their bad decisions.

S.A.Aggie2006
AG
BBDP, Does that hate also include corporations, because you know they are people now?
treetop flyer
I pay an insane amount of taxes. I got to this point by sacrificing my health, time with my family, hobbies, luxuries I could have bought, bs secondary educations I could have attained, and much more. Do us all a favor and pay your ****ing share and don't ask honest hard working people for advice on how to milk the system while admitting you cheat the system.

[This message has been edited by Treetop flyer (edited 7/16/2014 11:48p).]
Pelayo
AG
treetop
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bayouaggie
AG
I'm with BBDP and treetop
BBDP
AG
quote:
BBDP, Does that hate also include corporations, because you know they are people now?

You lost me. They have always been people. And as a 30% share holder in a Corporation, trust me when I say we pay "our" "fair" share of taxes and if we fail to, we get fined. Claiming that our computers went down won't work.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
People who take out several hundred thousand in school loans for anything other than an MD or nuclear scientist career really have me scratching my head. And sadly, there are still tons of drunk teenagers in the beginning years of college on a trac to do the same thing in the local lib arts college. And many ignorant parents who won't bat an eye.

If my future kid decides on college and it's my $ paying...they have 4 choices: med school, engineering, math, IT
BBDP
AG
Math?

I would allow accounting before I would allow math.
Post removed:
by user
OasisMan
AG
between my wife and me, we also owe a little over 200k
POW
AG
quote:

Professions?
OasisMan
AG
quote:
quote:

Professions?
MD in residency
shes an ecologist that just had to go to southwestern

fortunately a lot of hospitals offer loan forgiveness as a benefit
Al Bula
AG
quote:
quote:
I never knew I could get so much joy out of clicking submit on a computer every time I paid off another loan balance in full.

They sent us a letter congratulating us for paying off the loans in full. Almost framed it...
I didn't get any kind of payoff letter when I paid my grad school loans off. It was a glorious day when I no longer had that debt hanging over my head.
POW
AG
quote:
MD in residency
shes an ecologist that just had to go to southwestern

Nothing wrong with taking out loans for medical school. I am sure you guys won't have a problem generating the income to afford the loans. That is not the case for the OP.
agmatt06
AG
I had to laugh... I purchased a grill a couple weeks ago and put it on my Amex card.

A couple days later, I get an email from American Express with the subject line:

"Matt, take more time to pay for large purchases"

Then it goes into how I don't have to pay off my balance each month, that I only have to pay partial balances. Funny, they didn't mention how much the interest charges would be.

As much as I like Amex, that almost made me cancel the card.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Then it goes into how I don't have to pay off my balance each month, that I only have to pay partial balances. Funny, they didn't mention how much the interest charges would be.

As much as I like Amex, that almost made me cancel the card.

Interesting marketing by Amex.
Pelayo
AG
quote:
fortunately a lot of hospitals offer loan forgiveness as a benefit

My wife and I got ourselves in deep during residency. Most of it not deferred and interest rates were still high. It felt absolutely glorious to be finished with that albatross.

I don't know your specialty but I'd be wary of 'hospital forgiveness'. I can see it becoming an extension of indentured servitude you're enduring now working in crapola places. And those I run across from time to time are some miserable folks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Quailmeezy
AG
quote:

If it is a new card then you probably have 0.0% for one year. If it's not a new card, then good thing you know better.
agmatt06
AG
I've had the card about 1.5 years. So it isn't a new one.

If they are giving me 0.00%, I haven't seen anything on it yet.
Diggity
AG
quote:

what's your interest rate, like 12%? If you can't beat that in the market, I don't know what to tell you.

/TexAgs
The Collective
AG
I can beat 12% with low expense ratio index funds - easy.
Stive
AG
quote:

Dave Ramsey? Is that you?
Old Buffalo
AG
quote:

Hi Dave.
The Collective
AG
Damn, I meant to include an asterisk (*).

*in an up-market.
Old Buffalo
AG
DAMMIT STIVE! THAT WAS MY JOKE!
Stive
AG
quote:
DAMMIT STIVE! THAT WAS MY JOKE!

Too slow jack.
diehard03
quote:
yeah - I don't think the statement about a good chunk of your income being "off the record" really helps garner sympathy from folks either.

This.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Math?

I would allow accounting before I would allow math.

Not sure how to take this (accountant)...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.