Riyadh, KSA

1,978 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cmac98
cmac98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I am looking at a potential opportunity working for SABIC in Riyadh on 2-year stint with my family (5 kids ages 2 to 11).

For those of you in country or previously in country, what are your thoughts about the following:
1. Working for SABIC?
2. Bringing family to Riyadh - life in a compound; accommodations?
3. Schools?
4. Activities for kids/family?
5. Safety?
6. Aggie network in KSA?

I appreciate the responses to these general questions.

cmac98
SwissAgg
AG
cmac98 said:

I am looking at a potential opportunity working for SABIC in Riyadh on 2-year stint with my family (5 kids ages 2 to 11).

For those of you in country or previously in country, what are your thoughts about the following:
1. Working for SABIC?
2. Bringing family to Riyadh - life in a compound; accommodations?
3. Schools?
5. Safety?
6. Aggie network in KSA?

I appreciate the responses to these general questions.

cmac98
I worked at SABIC in Riyadh.

1. SABIC is a good, solid company. What will you be doing? The Arabs are very, very slow.
Prayer time is 5 times per day. The Country shuts down during prayer time. It makes the Arabs VERY
unproductive. Ramadan is really crappy. Try to go back home during Ramadan because you cannot
eat or drink during the day.

2. The compounds are generally safe, and life inside is nothing like outside.

3. Schools .... I didn't bring Family with me.

4. I didn't bring Family with me, but the compounds have golf, tennis, and other activities

5. Safety was not a Problem. We had drivers. Only go with people you know.
Don't let anyone know that you are an American outside of work.

6. I ran into a few Aggies at SABIC, but I didn't have much to do.

We often went to Dubai or Bahrain for real Entertainment. There you can at least drink

a beer.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Part 1:
5 kids. Holy moly. We had 4 kids but that was back in the 70s/80s when kids weren't as snowflakey
Obviously you'll be getting a Suburban.

Working for SABIC I can't comment on and living in Riyadh, I can't comment on except to say that from everything I've seen, it appears that they have lots of modern conveniences these days.

Schools. Back in my era, the main American Expat school system was called SAIS (Saudi Arabian International Schools) and there were some other schools run locally in places like Jeddah - (Parent's Cooperative School). These days, the main American Expat school system is called ISG - International Schools Group, I think. Let me dig up their details. Standby.
http://www.isg.edu.sa/
Looks like ISG only covers the Eastern Province and Yanbu these days.
Looks like the school in Riyadh is American International School and tuition will run you or your employer about $10,000 - $30,000 per year.
American International School-Riyadh

Part 2:
The instruction your kids will receive in school will be excellent. The level of competition will vary from average to high. There will be very few kids whose parents let them be dropkicks.

One challenge you'll have (what my dad ran into with 4 kids) is that the IRS will want to charge you income tax on the benefits you receive in the form of school tuition. In other words, if you're making $100K/yr and you've got 3 kids in school and your employer is paying another $50K/yr for that, now the IRS thinks you're making $150K/yr and wants to tax you accordingly.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Part 3:

There is ton of stuff to do in the Kingdom and you'll be able to do things and see things that regular folks won't have access to at any price because they don't allow tourism.

Old Turkish Fort in Hofuf, the old Camel trails in Taif, petraglyphs, Nabatean Tombs at Madain Saleh, snorkeling/SCUBA in the Red Sea, the list goes on.

And, there will be local sports leagues for Soccer, probably Baseball and there will be school teams as well.
Extra-curricular activities for school probably will include music programs and of course you're going to have Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.

I can tell you as a kid, my two favorite hobbies were swimming and riding bikes. We also competed on the local swim team.

5. Safety?
In my experience and yes, it was a long time ago in a Galaxy Far away, you couldn't be much safer. There is very little crime because the penalties are so severe.

But, just like anywhere, you do have to keep your wits about you and don't do dumb things, or put yourself in a compromising position where a Saudi could get the upper hand in a he-said/she-said battle, of course.

If anything, Road Safety is probably something to be concerned about because the Saudis drive like they're nuts. Like India but with better roads and less discipline.

6. Aggie network in KSA?
I don't know about Riyadh but, there's always a Muster every year at the Aramco compound in Dhahran. Check the Association of Former Students web site for contact info. Remember, the guy who runs Aramco now is an Aggie if I recall correctly.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Part 4: Free Advice from HollywoodBQ

2 years is a good amount of time. You'll go through the various stages of adaptation within that time frame.
You'll have the opportunity to travel through Europe, Asia, Africa if you like.

Your kids will have some great opportunities but... be warned, it's like trying to put the Genie back in the bottle, once you do this, they will never be the same. Maybe the younger ones. But, the kids that are over about 5-6 years old will remember their experiences forever.

The downside will be when you move back to the USA. Your kids will have experiences and knowledge outside of the classroom that their peer group won't be able to fathom. And, if you're planning to move back to the same town, and they're going to potentially go to the same school with their old friends who they've been away from for 2 years, you can expect that they're going to have a VERY hard time adjusting. Their friends will have moved on. And, their friends will seem homely/dumb/quaint/simple compared to their friends in KSA who have also all been to Rome/Paris/London, etc.

Somebody will ask your school age children what they did last summer and the true answer will be - The Louvre, The Champs-Elysee, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, etc. But the responses will be either - What's that? Or, a level of resentment or attitude that your kid is pretentious. Meanwhile, that's really what happened even if nobody else can understand it or believe it. In my case, I remember my cousins talking about going to New Braunfels as if it was the coolest thing ever - and it did sound pretty good. What did we do? Pyramids at Giza, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, Tutankhamen's Tomb, Nile River, etc.

These days, with the Internet and Social Media, it is much easier to stay in touch with the friends that you and your kids will make. That will help a lot.

I'll tell you, as long as the money's right for your situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat with no regrets.

Another downside you'll face coming back is the arguments you'll get in with people about Islam and Saudi Arabia. You will have the benefit of having seen things first hand and will be able to comment from an educated and experienced point of view. Versus people who have only read or listened to hype artists who are trying to sell a book/movie/advertising.

Frankly, Saudi Arabia has pretty simple and clear-cut rules and as long as you play by the rules, you've got nothing to worry about. But, fair warning, during religious holidays, they do crack down on folks violating any religious rules - women's clothing, etc.

Hopefully that will help you with your decision. These days, the conveniences are unbelievable, McDonalds, satellite television, etc. When I first moved to Saudi Arabia, there was only a two lane road that went to my town and our telephone was a party line (shared between 4 households). With easy access to weekend getaway spots now, you should be in pretty good shape. But, do keep aware of your surroundings at all times.

Oh, and as far as not letting folks know you're American, they'll know. The Nike Shoes and Baseball caps are the usual dead giveaways. If you get into conversations with Saudis who have been educated in the USA, especially Texas, they'll talk your ear off about how much they love it. Cheers!
SwissAgg
AG

SwissAgg
AG
Quote:

Frankly, Saudi Arabia has pretty simple and clear-cut rules and as long as you play by the rules, you've got nothing to worry about. But, fair warning, during religious holidays, they do crack down on folks violating any religious rules - women's clothing, etc.

Oh, and as far as not letting folks know you're American, they'll know. The Nike Shoes and Baseball caps are the usual dead giveaways. If you get into conversations with Saudis who have been educated in the USA, especially Texas, they'll talk your ear off about how much they love it. Cheers!
Hollywood is correct. Learn the rules and everything will be fine. They are pretty simple. On the compounds,
there are a different set of rules.

When I was there, we spoke German the whole time so they didn't know we were Americans. Don't advertise it,

but use it to your advantage , when necessary.
cmac98
AG
Hollywood & WhoDat - thanks for the extensive replies. Truly appreciate the comments and honesty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.