Washington DC

2,238 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Grown Pear
newbie11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be in DC in February. Staying in the heart of the mall. Run down place called hotel Harrington.

Any recs on where to eat and what to do besides spend 12 hrs a day in the museums?

Thanks.
InfantryAg
AG
Make sure to visit the Lincoln Memorial at night, it's a different experience. If you're up super early, watching the sunrise over the Washington Monument from the Lincoln, is a great view. Bring hot coffee.

Arlington / Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I think you're only a block or two from Ford's Theatre.

Not sure of any places to eat anymore, a lot of places shut down during covid, and never opened back up.

Not sure what you're looking for and I probably can't be much help anyway. I worked there for a few years but didn't spend time there when I wasn't working. Mostly know the museums/ monuments and historical stuff.

There are guys on TEXAGS that live there now, but not sure they will see your post.

Make sure to keep your head on a swivel. Crime is intermittent, but usually not to bad in the area you're staying. DC just passed a new criminal code that is going to make it worse though.
Outlaw0206
AG
InfantryAg said:

Make sure to keep your head on a swivel. Crime is intermittent, but usually not to bad in the area you're staying. DC just passed a new criminal code that is going to make it worse though.

All great recs. I have lived here since May (Arlington). You are spot on about crime in DC. Lots of car jackings and shootings that seem to be between 16-20 year old kids. Don't wear expensive jewelry around, but if you stick to populated areas you will be fine.

Old Ebbitt Grill is a solid spot near the hotel house.
Vue Rooftop Bar on top of Hotel Washington offers a cool view of the White House.
Hay Adams offers a cool speakeasy.
Shelly's Back room is a solid cigar spot if that's your thing. Also a place I have heard is better near that area called Casa's.
Go over to the capital and the congressional office buildings. You can walk in now and walk around after going through security. Contact your state rep and they can get you set up with a tour, fbi tour or various other cool spots.

Metro train and Ubers are easy for getting around.

Weather has been uncharacteristically warm this winter l. I'm certainly not complaining, so hopefully it works out for when you are here in Feb.
Grown Pear
AG
Old Ebbitt Grill for dinner or drinks at the bar is a favorite of mine.

If you're tired of the mall and museums, Old Town Alexandria is easy to Uber to or hop on the blue line to King street and take their trolly to the waterfront. Nice shops, restaurants and walk along the Potomac.

Georgetown area is enjoyable too. There's some outdoor patios with a view of the Potomac if the weather is nice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.