Maine Aggies

5,330 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Streetfighter 02
tahatfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

Here in Eastport Maine...at this time not as cold as parts of Texas. Wondering how many Aggies in the area? Would love to host a 4th of July party.
karlthomas
I'm in Boston. There are several of us up here, and watch parties were a thing pre-Covid.
Class of '07 College of Architecture
AgEng98
Is the diner next to the hardware store still serving "Mexican Food"? Is the library still the only place in town with public wifi?
DeadCiv
AG
I'm in Mass. Would love to go to East Port someday. Not this 4th, tho. Good luck
h1ag
AG
Also in MA, but right on the NH line. The offer is great, and we'd love to see the area sometime, but we're headed to my wife's family camp on Lake Champlain for the 4th. I've only been as far north as Acadia.

I've always thought it would be fun to have some idea where folks lived all over the region. We end up getting outside somewhere between VT/NH/ME most weekends, and it would be awesome to have options for smaller get togethers for game days outside of Boston. We're trying to plan a move to North Conway right now and would definitely be willing to host if that goes through.
claydee2
AG
Just moved to Windham NH. Would love to meet up with some ags for a regional Aggie Club.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Does anyone have a bar recommendation in Portland to watch the Kent State game?

Bonanza11
AG
Not meaning to hijack the post, but this is the only reference to Maine I've been able to find on here…
My husband and I are considering a move from Houston to Maine. Remote job opportunities have come up, and now we're looking to live places we'd only ever dreamed of. Does anyone have any tips, thought, information, costs, etc. (anything!!) about living in Maine vs Texas (weather is a given).

We really want more outdoor access, seasons, and just something new. Are any cities preferable? Thanks!!
h1ag
AG
I'm in MA, so I'm not the expert but I do know the state a little bit. Sorry in advance for the scattershooting.

First thing to know, Maine is huge. Not Texas huge, but way bigger than anyone realizes. I had a friend in the Reserves who would do his drill weekend south of Boston who always talked about his 8 hour drive to get home to Mars Hill (up in the top part, but not at the very top).

There's good highway access across the eastern side of the state, but if you start venturing west at all, it quickly turns to winding 2 lane highways. Portland has a pretty good airport.

If I were looking to move there, I'd look at the western part of the state, personally. There are a few big ski areas, if that's your thing (Sunday River, Saddleback, Sugarloaf). I want to restate that it is REMOTE out there, with your nearest "city" being North Conway, NH, or potentially Augusta.

If you're into politics, Portland is liberal. Lots of Boston WFH transplants moving there. The rest of the state, not so much. I used to date a girl from Bangor who called it "the South of the North." Bar Harbor area is awesome, but is a super tourist destination, so If you want to settle in that area, don't expect family and friends to casually be able to visit and find a place to stay nearby during peak seasons (I was making plans to go with a girlfriend for 4th of July one year, but rooms at the Comfort Inn about 45 minutes away were $600/night and it only went up from there).

Unlimited options for hunting and fishing across the state, and Baxter state park is designated as a dark sky zone, so great star watching there, if you're into astronomy.

There is an income tax, so if you're looking to the western part of the state, consider jumping the border to NH (no income or sales tax).

French Canadians abound up there. I haven't had many interactions with them, but those that I have had, they've been pretty rude and they do not tip, so they piss off waitstaff if you're out eating and a bunch of them are there, expect it to show on your servers' faces.
Sit Down Rando
AG
I'll be making my annual trip to Naples, ME this 4th. Considering doing a day trip somewhere else with the family (kids are 5 and 2). Any Maine locals have any suggestions within a couple hours of Sebago?
h1ag
AG
Within 2 hours puts a lot at your fingertips. Any idea on the kind of stuff you'd be interested in doing?

There are some cool family friendly attractions around N. Conway NH. Your 5 year old might really enjoy the Mt. Washington Cog Railway or one of the easier hikes to a swimming hole like Diana's bath.

We were just in Bridgeton a few weeks back for a quick weekend getaway. Awesome area. Not much specifically to do around there except lakes and sitting/looking out, but at least for us, that was the point.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I have indoctrinated one of my native Portland buddies to become an Aggie. If you see a guy running around Portland in aggie gear driving an almost maroon F-150 or a pewter 1975 FJ40 that's him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.