Any South Dakota aggies?

4,966 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by WestGalvestonAggie
rthiele84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are moving to Sioux Falls next spring and checking to see if there are any other aggies in the area. Closest A&M Club is in Omaha, NE. Wanting to see if we can start one up in Sioux Falls or if there already is an informal one already.
histag10
AG
There are some aggies at Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, but Omaha would be closer.

There are also quite a few in various places in North Dakota, Montana, and Minnesota, but again Omaha would be closer. When we were in MT, we had to drive crazy far to find other aggies.
ArmchairCowboy
AG
I live in Brookings, 45 miles north of Sioux Falls. The only A&M club in the state is in Rapid City. I have gone to Muster there a couple times but something in Sioux Falls would be great.

There are a few Aggies in Brookings at SDSU but would think that there are more in SF. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the area. What is bringing you this way?
rthiele84
I got a great job at Sammons Financial at their Sioux Falls office. I live in Austin, TX and have been contracting for the last 1 1/2 years, but prefer a full time job. They made me a great offer to work from home till COVID clears up, so I may still be working from home for a while. I'm not looking forward to the cold winters, but I am excited about moving there. The cost of living is a lot cheaper than Austin. We looked at some of the houses there and even though the prices are comparable, the school tax is less than half what it is here.

Also looking forward to the cooler summers. I'm an avid golfer and its too hot down here from June to August to even play any more. Looks like Sioux Falls has a good amount of courses. I found one country club on the South side of SF that looks very reasonable to join. Also heard they have some good fishing. I haven't fly fished before but willing to try it out.

I saw Omaha was about a 2 hour drive so not too bad for Muster. But I think I'm going to rally the troop in SF and see if I can start something there. Surely I can find 20+ aggies in the area to get something started. is there any easy way to find out how many aggies there are in the area and find a way to contact them?

Anyway if you know the area and know of good places to live let me know. My office is on the SW side of town.
histag10
AG
If you enjoy golf, head to Medora, ND in the summer and play their course. Its basically in Roosevelt NP, and is a a beautiful area. (Then either camp in the park if that's your thing, or stay in Dickinson).

Winters up north arent horrible if you are prepared, especially that far south and east. Just use layers (wool socks are your best friend)

Association should be able to tell you who is in the area. Use the "find an aggie" tool, and search by city or state. It will at least give you a starting point, and contact info for some people.

Cost of housing is cheaper, but cost of food and utilities was WAY more expensive, at least in Montana and North Dakota. Hopefully SD is better, but i have heard it is comparable to them.
ArmchairCowboy
AG
I work in Sioux Falls so I know where your office is. Your commute will be easy regardless of where you live...20 min max. Lincoln County is south of SF and is growing rapidly so property taxes are higher there than Minnehaha County.

Utilities will be slightly higher; gas is more expensive but most things will be comparable to Austin. There are multiple golf courses and fishing/hunting opportunities. In fact, there is a Great Shots ( Top Golf) facility that opened up about 10 minutes north of your office. The Controller used to work for me and the GM is an Aggie from Austin.
Pahdz
Do you bird hunt? Pheasant hunting is huge in SD
rthiele84
We made the move to Sioux Falls last month. Now trying to find ways to watch all of the Aggie football games. Any suggestions? Midco doesn't offer the SEC network.
rthiele84
I have never hunted for pheasant being from Texas, just dove hunting. A couple of my coworkers are big time hunters. They bought in some elk sticks earlier this year, really good. Can't wait for the spring thaw to do some exploring of the state.

Biggest disappointment so far is the lack of good BBQ or mexican food. I bought a Traeger grill so at least I can make my own Texas style BBQ. Also their BBQ sides are really lacking. They do have potato salad which isn't half bad, but they do baked beans at every restaurant here, I mentioned why they don't serve pinto beans and got a funny look. I'm find a few gems though and sticking with thoes places. Found a really good bar to watch SEC games and hope the Aggies will win Thursday.

I'll be meeting a buddy of mine in Kansas City next month to get some good BBQ. Looking forward to that.
ArmchairCowboy
AG
Are you still here? Last winter was brutal.
rthiele84
Yep, still here. Looking for some aggies to get together and watch games this fall. I did meet one Aggie working at the Ford dealership, but nobody else so far. I know there are abouit 20 aggies in the local area according to Aggie Network. If you know of any good place that carries the SEC network, let me know. Only place I know for sure is Overtime Sports.
ArmchairCowboy
AG
I think Let It Fly would have the SEC Network or maybe Great Shots. Great Shots GM is an Ag.

My son is playing D2 football for a couple more years so my Saturdays are in Western SD or Colorado all fall or I would join you.
Ornithopter
AG
You ever in Spearfish for that?
ArmchairCowboy
AG
Every home game weekend. Are you in Spearfish?
Ornithopter
AG
WestGalvestonAggie
I'm looking at a place not too far from Aberdeen. I was thinking about Iowa, but after researching things I'm leaning towards South Dakota. I need to get out of the city. At least part of the time.

Is the east/west South Dakota thing accurate? People say the eastern divide of the Missouri River is more Midwest while the west is more culturally western. Is that accurate?

ArmchairCowboy
AG
I would say that's accurate. Eastern SD is farm country…flat fields and corn and beans everywhere. Much like Iowa and Illinois.

West River is hilly and sparse…ranches and occasional sunflower fields. Far west is the Badlands then Black Hills. Much like Wyoming and Eastern Montana.

I have lived East River but love going to the Hills every chance I get.
WestGalvestonAggie
ArmchairCowboy said:

I would say that's accurate. Eastern SD is farm country…flat fields and corn and beans everywhere. Much like Iowa and Illinois.

West River is hilly and sparse…ranches and occasional sunflower fields. Far west is the Badlands then Black Hills. Much like Wyoming and Eastern Montana.

I have lived East River but love going to the Hills every chance I get.

I appreciate the reply. Any particular areas of the state that you would avoid? I'm basically looking for quiet, low crime, decent folks. I'd eventually like to have some land, but in the short term I just don't want to be right on top of my neighbors!
ArmchairCowboy
AG
I don't have any places I would avoid except any areas that are reservation-adjacent. those would be the highest crime areas.

I've always lived in the SE part of the state. I don't live in Sioux Falls but it's nice to be close for entertainment, air travel etc. Only airports of any size are Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Aberdeen may have a smaller airport, not sure. I do know it is always the coldest part of the state.

The western side has milder winters. More like Denver. It can get cold and they can get significant snowfall but then it will be 50-60 degrees and all melt.

If I were moving to SD, I would look at Spearfish in the west or the Sioux Falls area in the east.
WestGalvestonAggie
ArmchairCowboy said:

I don't have any places I would avoid except any areas that are reservation-adjacent. those would be the highest crime areas.

I've always lived in the SE part of the state. I don't live in Sioux Falls but it's nice to be close for entertainment, air travel etc. Only airports of any size are Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Aberdeen may have a smaller airport, not sure. I do know it is always the coldest part of the state.

The western side has milder winters. More like Denver. It can get cold and they can get significant snowfall but then it will be 50-60 degrees and all melt.

If I were moving to SD, I would look at Spearfish in the west or the Sioux Falls area in the east.

Thank you. I appreciate the info!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.