Washington DC

3,906 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by VikingNik
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is in talks with a job in DC. We currently live in Houston, but at some point she'd like to be closer to her family in Pennsylvania.

Anyone have any input about living in or near DC? I know it'll be a ton more expensive, but never really spent more than a weekend there doing tourist things.
wealeat09
AG
What are you interested in knowing?

I lived there in two stints for around 4 years.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
kids? what will you do? where is the job?

all those things need clarification to help. its a big metro area - like Houston.
The Milkman
AG
Oops I left out some details didnt I?

We don't have kids and are both early 30s. She is in the hospitality industry and is about to be offered the job. I work in higher ed advancement, but have experience in fundraising for nonprofits as well. We'll be looking at a combined income of a little over $200k. We were looking at the Arlington area, but are open to ideas.

Want to be on the metro and in an area with plenty of restaurants etc. When we got as far out as Falls Church, it was a little too residential for us.
BBQ4Me
AG
If you don't have kids, it could be fun to live in a condo in Clarendon. Keep in mind that the closer you are to a metro stop, the pricier it'll be. East Falls Church is nice, but like you said, that's getting into more SFH residential areas.

In general, the DC area is pretty awesome
neil88
AG
You might also want to consider Old Town Alexandria. Arlington has a bunch of areas worth looking at as well. As already mentioned Clarendon, but also Ballston and Rosslyn/Courthouse.

There are also developing centers such as Merrifield (Vienna area), Fairfax Corner, Kingstown (Alexandria area), and Cameron Station (Alexandria area) that offer a mix of urban and suburban living and you might find their prices a little more affordable.
VictoryLapAg
AG
Arlington is a great area with no kids and if you don't mind apartment living, can get a great place near restaurants and metro stops. Pentagon City, Rosslyn and Clarendon are great areas in Arlington. Close to DC so easy to get to either driving or on the metro. If you want to live in DC, I recommend renting a townhome on Capitol Hill. Good luck! DC is a great place to live and lots of Ags there.
VitruvianAg
AG
neil88 said:

You might also want to consider Old Town Alexandria. Arlington has a bunch of areas worth looking at as well. As already mentioned Clarendon, but also Ballston and Rosslyn/Courthouse.

There are also developing centers such as Merrifield (Vienna area), Fairfax Corner, Kingstown (Alexandria area), and Cameron Station (Alexandria area) that offer a mix of urban and suburban living and you might find their prices a little more affordable.

Mosaic District in Merrifield, New Urbanism. You can get by without a car but you can get used to walking with a pebble in your shoe too.

I live up the Gallows Rd off the W&OD trail have for over 30 years.

If you want an urban lifestyle, plenty of places along the orange line in VA, and plenty of nice hoods in D.C.
The Milkman
AG
Well we have officially signed our lease... we went with NoMa. Seems like a cool area that has recently become what it is. Great new building and got a good deal. We'll do that for a year then figure out where we want to root ourselves in.

Looking forward to meeting some of yall!
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
VikingNik
AG
Del Ray Alexandria.

Lived there, moved away. Miss it dearly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.